GDT: Canucks @ HollywooDD, CBC, 7:00pm PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ HollywooDD, CBC, 7:00pm PST

Post by Potatoe1 »

dhabums wrote:
Tiger wrote:Bobbie Clarke said after the summit series
When asked about the slash years later, Clarke said, "If I hadn't learned to lay on a two-hander once in a while, I'd never have left Flin Flon
Its all about winning .. and this was the most exciting hockey series ever played.. I don't expect the Sedin's to do a Bobby Clarke but it would be great if they played a tougher game..
It was the most exciting series because of the context, not the actual hockey.
--
I'm not sure what a "tougher" game would entail. We should have some guys willing to play it a bit tougher, but to put that on your 2 best players isn't all that bright.
It's kind of a weird situation with the Twins right now.

The league seems to think that if you cheap shot them after the whistle they will play poorly. The Twins on the other hand claim that it doesn't bother them and they are glad to take the penalties.

Unfortunately the rest of the team doesn't seem to be on board with allowing the Twins to take the shots.

So what you have is people cheap shotting the twins, them backing off in the hope of getting a call, then a canuck coming to their defense and taking a retaliation penalty.

Everyone seems to be quite confused as to what the game plan is supposed to be.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I tend to think trading Hodgson and Raymond, is a big over reaction to the issue.

We aren't losing games because of this, but it cant be good for team morale to have sand kicked in your face on a consistent basis.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I think the biggest problem with the "just take the abuse" strategy (and its been said before) but its a known fact what the strat is now. The officials are letting the abuse happen now because they know the Canucks just want the PP. So at this point they are getting no calls for taking abuse or even more inexplicably getting even up 4 on 4 calls when they get jumped or mauled by opposing players. For some reason this team has been cornered by the officials by following the rules and I believe that is the most baffling thing about this whole scenario.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Yeah, this bullshit going on makes me really miss what Raffi Torres brought to the table last year.

While I'm certainly not advocating bringing back "the Pig", I think we could really use another loose-ish cannon like him. Torres was a real physical presence, and his real value was that his agressive hitting and sandpaper attitude often started to put the other team off their game before they tried to do the same to us.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

The dirty play of teams like the Kings and the Bruins is not being called. It's almost as if the refs are afraid to call a penalty because the Canucks will score and that would affect the outcome of the game. It's so ludicrous as the whole idea of penalties in the first place was to punish the offender. Well if they aren't going to call them then it's time for MG to protect Vancouver's investment. Is Bitz capable of being the man to protect the Sedins? If not, then it's time to bring in a short term solution until someone is found who can play and protect. Trevor Gillies or D J King are toiling in the minors, why not give them a look. Or as Royal Dude has said let's give Ottawa Ballard for Carkner and call up Tanev to fill any potential skill loss. Let's not continue to blast Weiss as it appears like he was miscast in the first place. MG doesn't seem to know what a tough guy is because he has never brought one in here except the one with the plate in his head. It's either one of those type of scenarios or simply sit back and watch the top two players in the league get hurt. It isn't if but when because the league and the team are allowing it to happen.
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Say anything you like about me RD, just don't say I drink water :)

It looks like this discussion has moved to the "Just Take the Abuse Game Plan" thread.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Canuck-One wrote:Is Bitz capable of being the man to protect the Sedins?
Byron Bitz is not going to protect anyone from anyone.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Benjo wrote:
dhabums wrote:
rats19 wrote:Personally I think I am seeing a tad more aggression from the brothers..I would just fucking love It If one of them fought and held thier own or won....can you Imagine how the other player would ne ridiculed?..lmfao
Sedin vs Bolland, right off the puck drop. Bolland has zero career fights and likely wouldn't know what to do either.
And Bolland goes to the box with a big smile on his face because he just took out a Sedin for 5 minutes and the media has a field day saying the Sedins are frustrated and Dave Bolland is amazing.
Bolland is carted off the ice and Sedin is given CDN citizenship. Don Cherry is fired from CBC, McLean a Canuck jersey and the SC becomes an afterthought.

Maybe I am thinking of Youngblood?
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

dhabums wrote:
Tiger wrote:Bobbie Clarke said after the summit series
When asked about the slash years later, Clarke said, "If I hadn't learned to lay on a two-hander once in a while, I'd never have left Flin Flon
Its all about winning .. and this was the most exciting hockey series ever played.. I don't expect the Sedin's to do a Bobby Clarke but it would be great if they played a tougher game..
It was the most exciting series because of the context, not the actual hockey.
--
I'm not sure what a "tougher" game would entail. We should have some guys willing to play it a bit tougher, but to put that on your 2 best players isn't all that bright.
Maybe it would help if the brothers worked a bit harder and put more of a physical effort into their defensive game? The summit series showed a highly skilled and better conditioned team of russians being beaten by a "tougher" canadian team . I was at the Coluseum to see game 4.. That series changed the game of hockey forever.. North American players added speed, skill and conditioning and the Russians added more defensive skills ( so Henderson today could not stand in front of the net ) and more physical play... There is no doubt in my mind that the Russians were the more skilled teams but lost because of their lack of physical play..Kinda sounds like Boston/Vancouver?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Tiger wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that the Russians were the more skilled teams but lost because of their lack of physical play..Kinda sounds like Boston/Vancouver?
There is no doubt in my mind the Canadians just didn't take it seriously and spent the summer smoking and drinking while the Russians trained or were executed.

Being more physical would not have hurt our game, but to infer it is WHY we lost is crazy. We lost because we couldn't score a goal. We lost because the PP went dry. We lost because of a couple of critical injuries. We lost because only one team wins. We lost because we didn't get SC goaltending for 7 straight games. We lost because Tim Thomas was already being handed the Conn Smythe by game 4.

The Sedins needed to score, period. Nothing else, their job is to score. Score.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Dhabums said:
The Sedins needed to score, period. Nothing else, their job is to score. Score
So if they score 1 goal and are on the ice for 4 against your happy??? I had the mistaken idea that they just might be on the ice to outscore the opponents? Sorry I don't agree with your reasoning.. I look at their +/- against tough defensive teams and think .. 1) They dont score .. 2) When they are on the ice the other team does score..

Injures happen more to teams that are not "tough"..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Tiger wrote:Dhabums said:
The Sedins needed to score, period. Nothing else, their job is to score. Score
So if they score 1 goal and are on the ice for 4 against your happy???

Yup. I am happy if that happens.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Tiger wrote: Injures happen more to teams that are not "tough"..
Prove that to me first. Then show me how toughness had an impact.

I'll go first. Two major injuries in the Final. The "tough" team lost Horton to a massive hit by Rome. The Canucks lost their #1 dman because a heavy guy fell on him and a winger on a weird impact. Do you think toughness had any effect on these plays?

Would the Sedins being tougher changed anything?

Your turn.