World Juniors 2012

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2012

Post by Per »

On to the semi finals double feature! :)

First we have Sweden vs Finland.
A classic rivalry of the North.

Finland didn't start out very well in this tournament, losing 8-1 to Canada, but after that they've been improving quite a bit. They beat the USA 4-1, the Danes 10-1 and the Czechs 4-0.
It should also be noted that they used their backup goalie against Canada. Still, they did have their starter in the crease in the 8-5 quarter final win against Slovakia, so it's not impossible to score on him.

Sweden has been unimpressive but effective. Beat Latvia 9-4, the Swiss 4-3 on penalties (had a 3-1 lead but let the Swiss back in the game and then won in the shootout), Slovakia 9-1 and Russia 4-3 in overtime (the period by period scoring 0-3, 0-0, 3-0, 1-0 says it all...).

Sweden should win, but it is important to never underestimate the Finns in these games. They always have an extra gear when they play Sweden. A younger sibling complex or something that makes them fight till the last drop of blood.

Then there's another classic rivalry: Canada vs Russia!

Canada has been impressive so far, beating Finland 8-1, the Czechs 5-0 and Denmark 10-2. In the last meaningless game against the USA they took a 3-0 lead and then took the foot off the pedal, letting the US score two consolation goals and "lose honourably" 3-2. :roll: Canada were favourites going into this tournament, and they still are.

Russia has looked surprisingly good in this tournament. They beat the Swiss 3-0, the Slovaks 3-1 and then the Latvians 14-0. Seriously. Three games into the tournament they had only allowed one goal against, and had scored 20! :o
Thus I was a bit pessimistic about Sweden's chances, but when push came to shove they were beatable. Sure, they got themselves a 3-0 lead before we managed to turn the game around, but Sweden had a puck in off a skate that would have made it 2-1, but the refs disallowed it. They also reviewed Swedens GWG (off a stick shaft, fairly high up), but that time they decided it was good. Anyway. The Russians pulverize inferior teams, but had a hard time against Sweden (we also won the shots 55-26, and sure, it's in part from chasing a lead the whole game. Still, 55-26. That's 55. And 26.).

All in all, my prediction is that just as the skilled Russians couldn't handle Sweden in the long run, they may get an early lead against Canada, but won't be able to hold on to it.
My money is on Canada.

Looking back:
Per wrote:So, quarter finals today. I predict that the Russians and Finns will prevail.

The Czechs and Slovaks should start discussing reunification. ;)
Two for two, eh? 8-)
OK, so there may not be a reunification in the cards any time soon.
Still. Two out of three ain't bad.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Life is unfair! Shots are 34-13 in Sweden's favour after two periods, but Finland is ahead 2-0! :evil:

Oh, well, there's still twenty minutes left!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

And there it is!!! :D

2-2 with 1 minute and 44 seconds left on the clock!

8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

And Sweden wins the shootout! 8-)

OK, I'm off to bed.

Good luck, Canada! Cya in the final!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Some panic by our D for the first Ruskie goal.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Horrible hooking penalty leading to the 2nd Russian goal.

Canada getting a lot of good chances but so far bupkus.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Fast game so far. - fun to watch.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Damn showboating, head snapping, diving Ruskies...

20+ minutes to go.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Goaltending. Theirs has been fantastic. Ours suspect at best.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

5-6 with 5 and change left.....
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Damned exciting third period - too bad we came up short.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Rats..........
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

I absolutely love this tourney.

I love this tourney so much my wifey is finally coming around after six yrs together and understanding the tourney is not going away and neither is my standing for hours on end in front of the TV with my arms crossed watching stressfully.

I'll admit, when the sixth goal was scored tonight I turned to PVR'd shows. Got a text message just after the CAN 5th goal to turn back and felt like I cheated, didn't support my team blah blah. I guess thats a difference between a fan and not. I still feel like I let my team down and didn't support them coming back opposed to sticking it out and watching them lose.

Either way, its a shitty ending to the 2012 WJ'ers especially in Canada.

It is really gold or bust, but hopefully a lot of these guys can come back or are eligible to come back next year with redemption.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Per wrote:All in all, my prediction is that just as the skilled Russians couldn't handle Sweden in the long run, they may get an early lead against Canada, but won't be able to hold on to it.
My money is on Canada.
I think my pre-game analysis was fairly spot on, with the Russians getting a lead and then Canada dominating the third.
I just didn't expect the hole you dug yourselves into to be quite that deep... :?

The problem may have been that you weren't really tested in the roundrobin and thus your guys weren't prepared to bring their blue collar work gear to the game. When they finally rolled up their sleeves it was too late.

Too bad. I've been looking forward to Sweden and Canada squaring off in the final all tournament, and now we have to make do with the Ruskies. Oh well. Guess it is what it is.

Guess there's no chance they'd let the bronze and gold games switch time slots, eh? :eh:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

When Finland won their second World Championship gold of all time last spring, they issued a stamp featuring the 19-yo Mikael Granlund's lacrosse style goal against Russia:

Last night in the penalty shootout Sweden scored on their first two penalties but the Finnish goalie saved the third attempt. Finland had one goal after two attempts and as Finnish captain Granlund took the ice he had a chance to even the score and take the shootout to sudden death mode, but a failed deke attempt made him lose the puck before he even got a shot off...

Of course the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet couldn't resist the temptation:

:lol: