Henrik Sedin - best passer.... ever?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Henrik Sedin - best passer.... ever?

Post by Cornuck »

Might be a bit of a stretch, but not by much.

Right now he is in the top 100 of all time assists at #98. What's remarkable is that only Bossy, Forsberg, Orr and Craig Janney have made the top 100 in fewer games. He's 7th in active players.
He's leading the league currently, and has led the league the 2 previous seasons and has been in the top 10 since 06-07.

But the impressive stats aren't the whole story. This guy has turned passing into an art form.

Seriously - who else makes passes like this one:

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Henrik Sedin - best passer.... ever?

Post by dhabums »

Am I misreading something about getting to the top 100? Lemieux? Gretzky?

Edit: I think you are looking at Total Games played rather than how quickly they got there.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

dhabums wrote:Am I misreading something about getting to the top 100? Lemieux? Gretzky?

Edit: I think you are looking at Total Games played rather than how quickly they got there.
Correct, not how fast they got there (don't have the stat machine to calculate that) - but just who has the least number of games in the top 100, which I think is still damned impressive.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I actually really enjoyed last year's all-star skills competition, because it incorporated sick passing into the relay part. I believe Henrik nailed each saucer pass, cross-ice, backhand and forehand on the first try. It was a truly ridiculous display.

I think Forsberg has been considered the best passer of the post-Gretzky/Lemieux era - I'd say Henrik is a superior passer (and all-around player at this point) to Forsberg.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ESQ wrote:
I think Forsberg has been considered the best passer of the post-Gretzky/Lemieux era - I'd say Henrik is a superior passer (and all-around player at this point) to Forsberg.
Sorry sir but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Henrik definitely is one of the greatest passers in the game, but Gretzky and Forsberg were still a notch higher in this department. Not a big notch mind you....but a notch nonetheless.

Also - as much as I love Hank, Forsberg was the better all around player in my opinion. I believe that Forsberg, in his prime, was the most complete player to ever play in the NHL.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ESQ wrote: I think Forsberg has been considered the best passer of the post-Gretzky/Lemieux era - I'd say Henrik is a superior passer (and all-around player at this point) to Forsberg.
Henrik a great passer. I think Crosby-esque with the way he sees the ice. Him and Daniel on the PP is something to behold. I think Crosby is a better individual play maker than Henrik, but when the twins are on the ice there's not a better puck-moving duo in the game.

I don't think Henrik is near the all-around talent that Forsberg was, but he is a more gifted offensive hockey player, and the way he distributes the puck makes all five guys on the ice better.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ESQ wrote:I'd say Henrik is a superior passer (and all-around player at this point) to Forsberg.
While he may be a better passer, I have a tough time with the "better all-around player" moniker.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

On a similar note, will the Sedins be the first Canuck 1000 point scorers?
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:On a similar note, will the Sedins be the first Canuck 1000 point scorers?
It'll only be real if they do it on the same night. Otherwise, whatever.... :eh:

I dont know if they'll do it before the end of their current contracts but it's safe to say both of their jersies are going up.
zephyr
AHL Prospect

Post by zephyr »

if they keep up their current paces, our team continues to perform at the top of the league during the regular season, and advances deep into the playoffs, they will be more than deserving of jersey retirement.

too bad our rafters are already tainted with 3 numbers that have no business being up there ... this coming from a big fan of all 3 players.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

zephyr wrote:if they keep up their current paces, our team continues to perform at the top of the league during the regular season, and advances deep into the playoffs, they will be more than deserving of jersey retirement.

too bad our rafters are already tainted with 3 numbers that have no business being up there ... this coming from a big fan of all 3 players.
Uh.....what?

I'll give you Smyl, and even stipulate somewhat on Naslund. But Linden? If there is one number that needs to be hanging from the rafters it is #16. Smyl was a hard nosed grinder who never quit, but in all fairness, nobody had ever quite captured the hearts of Canuck fans like Linden, he was the face of this team until he retired. Even when he was in Montreal, Washington, and NYI.....Linden was still a Canuck. I think I actually shed a tear when he came back to Vancouver.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

zephyr wrote:if they keep up their current paces, our team continues to perform at the top of the league during the regular season, and advances deep into the playoffs, they will be more than deserving of jersey retirement.

Youre kidding right?

All three of those numbers are deservingly retired.The Canucks are 4 decades old, so if there are another three numbers retired by 2050 so be it. If not Linden,Naslund, and Smyl then who?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mëds wrote: Uh.....what?

I'll give you Smyl, and even stipulate somewhat on Naslund. But Linden? If there is one number that needs to be hanging from the rafters it is #16. Smyl was a hard nosed grinder who never quit, but in all fairness, nobody had ever quite captured the hearts of Canuck fans like Linden, he was the face of this team until he retired. Even when he was in Montreal, Washington, and NYI.....Linden was still a Canuck. I think I actually shed a tear when he came back to Vancouver.

Linden was fortunate enough to play for some good teams in his career. Smyl not so much.

If Stan Smyl played for the current Canucks, he would undoubtedly be a fan favourite. THE fan favourite.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Either way, he's leading the Art Ross race - again.

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

okcanuck wrote:

Youre kidding right?

All three of those numbers are deservingly retired.The Canucks are 4 decades old, so if there are another three numbers retired by 2050 so be it. If not Linden,Naslund, and Smyl then who?
He's not kidding. There are quite a few people who think no Canuck so far has been worthy of having his number retired.

I disagree.
I think it'd be kind of sad to have a team that has been in the league for forty years and not retired a single number.
Sure, there'll be people who say Smyl, who? Linden, who? Näslund, who? But that just shows their ignorance.

These were three great players for this franchise, and I think it is only fair that we pay tribute to them.
Would we have wanted them to accomplish more? Sure. But seriously, this franchise wasn't always as good as it is today, and the three players who have been honoured are imho good choices all three of them.

#17 Patrik Sundström has also had his number retired, but only by Björklöven.

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.