GDT: Detroit @ Vancouver, 7:00 pm, TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Mason
AHL Prospect

Re: GDT: Detroit @ Vancouver, 7:00 pm, TSN

Post by Mason »

Pretty sure the reason Howard didn't get a penalty is because after Hansen got up he shoved Lidstrom. It was retaliation to that push not from getting run into that Howard reacted. Also he did NOT throw a blocker punch, it was more of a blocker face wash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Fred wrote:The reason Kesler went after Kronwall was to tell the guy don't do it again or I'l kick the sh!t out of you and Kesler can do it when he wants
Actually I think Kesler did it because he was really pissed off, I don't think it had much to do with sending a message.

I think Kesler would have gone after just about anyone in that situation (well obviously not a guy who is going to absolutely shit kick him but any non-heavyweight type)

Keep in mind Kesler targeted and fought, Shea Weber a few years back, he is not the slightest bit afraid to fight, despite not being very good at it.
Ummm... agreed. I remember both Kess and Burr dropping the gloves constantly a few years back. They were both way too yappy but hey they backed it up. Now they yap less, fight less, and score more. How it should be! Let the singers sing and the dancers dance, right? Which is a lot easier to do if you've got a designated motherfucking top heavyweight.. or two... on the squad (who can also play). And which your Vancouver Canucks have been lacking for years, but hey let's not get into that again! ;)

Yes I love the speed. Yes I love the skill. Yes I love the WINNING. But, call me old-fashioned, I like to see a guy in a Canuck jersey punching the everstinkin shit outta an opponent once in awhile!

Is that wrong? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Anaheim sucks, needs goaltending and has what we need in George Parros.
If you need air...call it in
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Anaheim sucks, needs goaltending and has what we need in George Parros.
A playoff bench warmer?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
dhabums wrote:
newcanuckfan wrote: Total BS on Kesler's call when Howard didn't draw one for his tantrum.
Here are your choices:

1. Goal allowed, no penalty.
2. Goal waved off, Howard gets 2 for roughing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can be assessed a penalty after a goal is scored against you. The goal was scored, the play was over and Howard chased Hansen (just like Kesler 20 seconds before) and actually touched Hansen (unlike Kesler 20 seconds before.) The bar was set only 20 seconds before - if you chase a guy after a hit you don't like, you get a roughing penalty. How can you change a bar you set in only 20 seconds?

My choice is number 3 - goal allowed, Howard gets 2 minutes for chasing, 2 more minutes for roughing

There is no choice #3. There is no way the refs are going to count a questionable goal then call a penalty. It has nothing to do with the NHL rules, it's just the way it is.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mëds wrote: As to dhabums.....

If ROW is what really counts, then I can happily say that the Canucks sit tied for second in the NHL a mere one win behind the league leading Flyer's. :)
As the tie breaker, obviously.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dhabums wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Anaheim sucks, needs goaltending and has what we need in George Parros.
A playoff bench warmer?
I think he can actually play. I consider him more than just a fighter.
Also, he becomes an asset when u need to push back against a team that likes to cheap shot after the whistle.
Yeah u Boston and Chicago!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Ducks fans seem to think Paros sucks and is a waste of space.

Heavyweights sound nice in theory but then you realize they hurt your team on the ice and aren't much of a detourence.

Last nights game was a prime example of why a goon is totally pointless. Kronwall, makes that hit no matter who is on our roster, because he doesn't have to fight if he doesn't want to.

Further to that a guy like Paros simply wouldn't have been able to play in that 3rd period, it was just way to fast.

The guys who started to shine when the intensity picked up were Bieksa, Kesler, Higgens, Lappy, and Edler.

Another player like that is whats going to help us in a physical playoff series.

BTW I just loved Bieksa's game last night, made a ton of good plays and led the physical response after Kesler got trucked.

Juice has probably been our best defenseman over the past 25 games yet he gets prety much no credit. Funny how that works.

I think he can actually play. I consider him more than just a fighter.
Also, he becomes an asset when u need to push back against a team that likes to cheap shot after the whistle.
Yeah u Boston and Chicago!

You must be thinking about the Chicago team who won the cup, the current group is one of the cleanest teams in the league.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Driving home this afternoon listening to Calgary sports radio 960 I heard Peter Luobardias(sp?) say regarding the hit by Kronwall on Kesler "the greatest moment of 2011".
Embrace the hate...I guess.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I don't think Bieksa gets as much credit, because he is now playing to the level he played last year. He's got the same start as Luongo apparently. I too liked his response after Kesler took that big hit (by the way, who leads a hit with their back?).
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Corb wrote:(by the way, who leads a hit with their back?).
The league seems to think it's clean.

My opinion is that it's such an odd way to hit that they are confused by it and don't realize how dangerous it is.

He basically lunges backwards which almost automatically makes it a charge and if the contact point is the other players head it's most likely a KO shot.

I'm fine with the hit, but I think hit's like the one on Horton are basically fine as well.

Driving home this afternoon listening to Calgary sports radio 960 I heard Peter Luobardias(sp?) say regarding the hit by Kronwall on Kesler "the greatest moment of 2011".
Not at all surprised.

Kesler just keeps getting better and with the amount of edge he has to his game he is probably gong to be absolutely detested league wide before long.He was just all over Datsuk and Zetterberg last night, neither of whom did much of anything until the 3rd period.

Just a fierce hockey player who dishes out the majority of his punishment on the other teams best players, seeing him get hit like that must just be awesome for the rest of the league.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

As I mentioned on another board. Kesler yapped, hit, poked and prodded those guys all night. They were essentially invisible all night. IN short, Kesler showed why he has a Selke.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

So is a head pass legal? Just wondering if Dank's pass had gone to Hank would the play have stopped or is it like a kick pass and its legal? Would have been sweet to see that pass lead to a break a way and then a goal.
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

George PArros? seriously? Wow.

BTW Anaheim has a goaltender that has been very good for the previous 3 or 4 seasons and is struggling this year. My bet is they let Hiller try to right himself the rest of this year and next. THey have no interest in a goaltender.

And more importantly Gillis has no interest in Parros. No point in wasting a roster spot on a guy who can't play the game.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Kronwall left his feet and jumped up, that's why I think it is a bad hit! Remember Downey hit a guy a couple years ago in pre-season from the Sens and he got supended for that?
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!