GDT: Canucks host Minny - 7pm - Snet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host Minny - 7pm - Snet-P

Post by ukcanuck »

dhabums wrote:
Mondi wrote:
clem wrote:Lu was good. Take that, haters.
Seriously? He's playing a lot better. But there is no excuse for how the player started the season. None.
Just for fun mondi, you should pay close attention to a different team for an entire season. You'll quickly notice most guys have slumps, the difference it RL's is always at the start so it is magnified. As for an excuse, according to RL he has tried several different summer regiments and nothing really is different. I don't give a shit about his October/November, June is all that matters. That goes for every skater on the team as well.
agreed dhabums its not how you start its how you finish... I suppose the haters will point out that luongo has finished by having his ass handed to him the last three seasons, four if you count the non call on the offside against dha ducks .
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I suspect that if he can put himself in a bubble and avoid all the Dustin Byfugliens, the bizarre tire pumping interviews, the trash talking, he might be able to win it all.
So far, whenever a team gets in his head, he fails.

Yesterday he played great but nobody on the wild payed any attention to him, so to speak. When he can rise above the bullshit he'll become a champion.
If you need air...call it in
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mondi wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Mondi wrote:
Seriously? He's playing a lot better. But there is no excuse for how the player started the season. None.
Just for fun mondi, you should pay close attention to a different team for an entire season. You'll quickly notice most guys have slumps, the difference it RL's is always at the start so it is magnified. As for an excuse, according to RL he has tried several different summer regiments and nothing really is different. I don't give a shit about his October/November, June is all that matters. That goes for every skater on the team as well.
Well if June is all that matters, I suppose you're a big Luongo supporter after last season?
Not sure how that is relevant, but ok.

I guess I just don't quite get why you are still whining about October. However, as my good deed for the day, I am going to let you in on a little secret. Luongo will probably suck next October. Perhaps his slightly later than usual rounding into form means he'll be good just a little bit longer.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mondi wrote:Actually, I take it all back. Luongo is an awesome clutch performer. Brodeur, Roy then Luongo. Everyone else is crap. Go Bobby Lu.
Holy shit! My sarcasm meter just exploded! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Mondi wrote: So far this season he's looked the same as always, Luongo's seasons in six words (from September to playoffs): Bad, Good, EXCELLENT, Good, Bad, TERRIBLE. That's been his M.O. for a few years. So forgive me if I can't just look at last night's box score and believe everything is fine, just like the weather.
Mondi wrote:As much as you say the slow start doesn't matter, it is indicative of the usual patten. Which includes the obligatory May/June meltdown.

Luongo's playing great hockey. And that is great news. But, his body of work speaks for itself. I'm no hater, just a guy who looks at the facts, and the biggest games of his career and sees a lot of shocking results. Games 1 and 5 of the SCF and the gold medal game are 3 diamond in the rough.
If the sky wasn't so blue, maybe we could all see it falling.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Mondi wrote:I say Luongo, who had never given up 8 in his career, gives up 8 in the SCF (which take place in June in case you weren't sure).
I don't think 98% of goalies have ever given up 8. They get yanked way before that.

In a way, Mondi, that stat is more telling of AV than of RL.

OTOH, I'm with you re: RL's suspect issues in playoffs, and I fucking hope that coaching has the balls this year to go with CS is it comes down to that.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote: I honestly think Luongo is a pretty good player. I just can't stand the defenders who seems to ignore his body of work in the playoffs.

I also find Luongo's attitude and how he speaks to the media a little odd. You watch this guy with 5 minutes left in a game where he's got a shut out going and you'll never see him try harder. He likes personal stats a little too much, that's bunk.
I totally understand the frustration with Luongo. I have totally come to terms with the fact that we have a very good, but totally imperfect goaltender. C'est la vie. The man is not invincible like he appeared to be in his first season here. That being said, he's going to very easily be one of the top 10 most winningest goaltenders in NHL history, and will probably end up in the top 5 above guys like Sawchuk, Esposito, Fuhr and Hasek.

I know stats aren't everything, and about the meltdowns, etc., but his career playoff stats are almost identical to his career regular season stats.

Regular season:
321W 275L 2.52GAA .919SV%

Playoffs:
32W 27L 2.50GAA .917SV%
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Mondi wrote:You say June is all that matters.

I say Luongo, who had never given up 8 in his career, gives up 8 in the SCF (which take place in June in case you weren't sure).

You say my point is not relevant.
Actually, I meant to say you are not relevant.

You were whining about October. I do not care about October.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Mondi wrote:
But as silly as it was to write off Luongo after 10 bad games, the same is true of saying all well after 6 to 10 good ones.
If it's silly to right him off, and it’s silly to say all's well - maybe - it's silly to get worked up about it at this time.