Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by dhabums »

For future reference, it is milquetoast. Although I'd love to know what you were thinking when you typed "milk toast".
Last edited by dhabums on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mondi wrote:The absolute worst part of the reality about how the Sedins are covered is that they would be national treasures if the were Canadian.

There is absolutely no doubt about it. We make such a bigger deal bout lesser players (i.e. Staal, Lecavelier, Nash, Doughty, Richards, Carter) and yet the Sedins are considered a couple of wimps who've never won anything.

Canadian's seem to discount any Olympic results that aren't their own (i.e. we took a bad team in 2006 so that's why we lost). And Canadians seem to be very American about how they cover hockey and think about foreign players.

I mean, we absolutely hate a Russian (or Finish) guy who celebrates his goal incorrectly but, we love it when a good Canadian kid knocks someone out with a "clean" body check.

Of course, I'm hyperbolizing a little. But, I tell you what, if the Twins were from Mimico and played for the leaves they'd be on Crosby level.

As far as I'm concerned the CBC with its ex-Bruin contingent (Stock, Milbury, Cherry) and it PAB contingent (McLean) can kiss my ass. Though I really liked how Cherry called out McLean the other night, Cherry's alright.

The Sedins are near generational talents and the rest of the league should acknowledge that. Outside of the constant boner for the Detroit Red Wings, has any European player truly received his due from the Canada hockey media? Not really, Lidstrom, Selanne, Sundin and Jagr perhaps. That's about it.

(I'll let you guys decided what PAB stands for, no wait it stand for pussy ass bitch--that's right Ron you're a PAB)

a really good question to ask ones self is that if the twin towers of grace, virtue, and skill were Leaf property since they were drafted would we Canuck fans recognise in them what other Canadian hockey fans seem to struggle with?

I know I've always given Iginla his due even though he is a career flame. so I like to think I would recognise just how rare the twins talents are...but man I loathe those leaves ...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote:For future reference, it is milquetoast. Although I'd love to know what you were thinking when you typed "milk toast".
Don't tell me how to spell my words dhassbandit.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:
dhabums wrote:For future reference, it is milquetoast. Although I'd love to know what you were thinking when you typed "milk toast".
You tell him. Guy is such a pre-Madonna. :roll:
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Come on guys, come down off your pedal stools.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dbr wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Like a virgin, touched for the 31st time...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mondi wrote:Jeff Paterson has the most obnoxious radio voice I have ever heard.

I'm not sure who I'd like to punch out more Jeff Paterson or Don Taylor .

As an asside what is up with Neil Macrae ? Did he have a stroke or something ? Maybe Parkinsons...... Huntingtons disease ? His speech sounds a little slurred..... yeah I know he's a wrinser but he sounds a lot different these days and he did take a lot of time off in the last couple of years.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

As an asside what is up with Neil Macrae ? Did he have a stroke or something ? Maybe Parkinsons...... Huntingtons disease ? His speech sounds a little slurred..... yeah I know he's a wrinser but he sounds a lot different these days and he did take a lot of time off in the last couple of years.
wrinser ???

was ist das?
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I don't know if any one noticed in the second intermission on SN during the interview with Lawrence Gillamn he summed up the whole media thing ( headed by HNIC ) with this "we understand that there is a predisposition against the Canuck organization"

cool calm and efficient in his choice of words....thank you Mr Gillman
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

wrinser ???

was ist das?

A boozer..... a pisstank, beer wolf etc.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I don't listen to Vancouver radio, and avoid most of the articles, but is the "Vancouver Hockey Media" any worse than the mass media in general? :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote:I don't know if any one noticed in the second intermission on SN during the interview with Lawrence Gillamn he summed up the whole media thing ( headed by HNIC ) with this "we understand that there is a predisposition against the Canuck organization"

cool calm and efficient in his choice of words....thank you Mr Gillman
Caught that, yep that Gilman is one cool cucumber. Intelligent & articulate. I love how HNIC's bias toward the Canucks is being exposed to the light of day lately. Had to chuckle when they brought up the Quin-Bure-Cherry incident after all these years. I'll never forget how truly fearful Cherry was when Quinn made it clear he wanted to punch him out. :lol:

In case some of you were wondering... THAT'S why Fred & I were discussing over drinks in this forum a few nights ago about hiring Quinn as Canucks PR/spokesman! :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Strangelove wrote:

In case some of you were wondering... THAT'S why Fred & I were discussing over drinks in this forum a few nights ago about hiring Quinn as Canucks PR/spokesman! :drink:
Exactly the Canucks can stand back or they can make a positive move by appointing Quinn as the team ambassador....he still has the presence to make a point without a lot of other willing to provoke the guy. It's no good blubbering in our dry sherry's the best defense is an offence...go for it Pat :D I think he's represent the team very well
cheers
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am just sickened by the general lack of respect given to the twins in general by all media. Wher eis the respect for two brothers who just won back to back hart trophies? Even if the Canucks had won game 6 or 7 last year, there would still be a general lack of respect from the media, and why is it suddenly OK for that to happen???? We have had personalities in the past have a hate on for players in the NHL, but there has always been a certain level for respect for the superstars of this league--- except in the case of the twins.

It wasn't too long ago that a coach or GM could be fined for direct comments about specific players. Heck, love him or hate him, Burke ate a fine in the playoffs ther year we played the Red Wings for standing up for his players... Also, there was public apologies from certain announcers who commented on Ray Bourque 'chasing a cup' --- apologies, and then the topics were never brought up again. Here, ther is no apologies, just more comments made from commentators, players, and personel in the league, until the media is self obsessed with 'canuck hatred'

On the topic of 'most hated team' ..... anyone hear the yells of 'LLLUUUU' in toronto (of all places) last weekend? how about count the jerseys of canuck fans sitting in the lower bowls of the rinks on that last 5 game road trip?? how about the cheers when we scored goals? I am starting to get sick of the endless, media fed hatred on the canucks. I know that the cities that have good rivalries with us (Calgary, Chicago, Edmonton, etc) are going to have a good old fashioned hockey hate on for us, and thats cool, but from what I see, the other 2/3rds of the continent loves us, so the EBL media can simply start sucking slough water.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

AS MCP says look at the number of Canuck jerseys in the stands at games around the league. The cheers in TO last Saturday were very noticeable.

My thoughts on this are unchanged. You won't convince or intimidate anyone with Quinn or anyone else. The best PR is the team itself and obviously that is working. To hire a PR guy to try to "educate" the ignorant suggests we think there is a problem with our image as a hockey organization. That just gives the clowns more ammunition to support their barrage.

Who amongst the educated hockey people would agree with or support Milbury's "thelma & Louise" rant? Who would give any credence to the Chicago radio station people and Dave Bolland. The only ones who agree with that crap are ones who don't have a brain that functions. Kinda like our friends at Cal Puck.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "