Canucks at Leaves - 4:00 PM - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks at Leaves - 4:00 PM - CBC

Post by rats19 »

cherry wasnt very nice to peon thegoof
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

It is SO nice to win in TO on HNIC.

Many moons ago I used to work in television production. I know all about catering to just one team... what with cutaway shots (crowd, players, coach, GM), play-by-play/colour-man favoritism, and past team highlights/stats. For decades HNIC had it all one way. The Toronto way. Credit to em, over the last coupla years they’ve worked very hard at leveling the broadcast playing field. I must say they are pretty much there. Well as there as THEY are gonna get.

And to hear Cherry FINALLY admit CBC caters to the Leaves & why... does my heart good.

So the eastern media has always suck-holed to the Leaf fans and the Leaf fans are jealous of any other Canadian team that does well. THAT’S where all the Canuck-hatred came from. Well it’s great to finally have it all out in the open. Guys like Neale, Cole, and MacLean sold their souls to those dirty little Leaf fans so they can go to hell. Baby-Jesus-lovin Cherry is redeemed.

:D

As a long-time hater of Mason Raymond I can’t believe that I’m actually starting to like him!

Don’t get exited Ronny, I’ll NEVER like you! :P

And the Number One Star of the game... Alexandre Burrows! :santa:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

God forbid..things turnaround on HNIC....Cherry on our side mcdick at least not putting us down...naw cant happen :?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: And the Number One Star of the game... Alexandre Burrows! :santa:
*hic* Hey Ratski look at my pics in the OP and how things played out...

And take a guess ay how HAPPY I am right about now. :santa:

G'night Rattertatter *hic*....
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

that was well done Doc....good job.....I will call you at 5am...:)
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

That was one of the most enjoyable games for me this year. Regardless of outcome, a pretty well executed game by both teams for the most part. The opportunities that came from mistakes were taken advantage of, the goaltenders were outstanding, and the officiating (by recent Canuck game standards) did not unfairly have a hand in the outcome of the game.

Through the repetitive drone of some CBC guy, and a couple of graphics, I learned that the Sedins are NOT in fact the number one duo in the league. :eh:

GMMG... Get on your goddamn phone and see if you can't convince Burkie to take the second-rate Sedin duo in trade for the first place duo of Kessel and Lupul. (of course you'll probably have to throw in a prospect or two to make it fair.) :scowl:

Gotta say though, that it's nice to see a Canadian team that's been a laughingstock for a long time, making legitimate strides.

The opposition looked good tonight, and this time it wasn't due to the Canucks making them look that way.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
Cornuck wrote:Hansen just might make a beleiver out of me yet...
Would have you been a believer long ago if Hansen was a Canadian from lets say, Salmon Arm B.C. instead of being a European from Denmark?
Nope - I;m not biased towards or against a player based on where he's from. I've just been frustrated watching Hansen and Raymond be blessed with all of that speed and not the ability to bury their chances.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Officiating was abysmal, Kesler did NOT interfere with Gustavsson. Kesler WAS dumped away from the play several times. Raymond WAS highsticked in the chops.

Luongo was excellent in the first, the only goal I was a bit upset with was the 2nd one by Bozak. But Lou was taking away the bottom of the net and Bozak was lucky to find that puck. Can't fault him for either of the other two. Good game for Louie.

Burrows looks great out there. I love how he is adding to his repitoire with stick work and passing. He's becoming much more than just the Sedin's two-way support player.

Hodgson had a good game. Excellent positioning in the defensive zone for a couple of takeaways, one of them a crucial interception right in front of Luongo on the centering pass from the corner. Didn't shy away from contact at all, and shows no signs of any lingering effects from that Foligno hit.

I can't think of any glaring mistakes made by the Canucks tonight, it was an all-round solid effort by everyone.

I also can't believe I used to be a fan of Jim Hughson's game calling. Him and Simpson are brutal. Hughson has completely jumped on the Leaf's band-wagon, the way he called Bozak's goal was hilarious. Skill? Great hands? The guy couldn't settle the pass, lost the puck, got turned around, just happened to find the puck on his stick and lifted a backhander blindly towards the net and caught Luongo down and out looking for the puck in skates.

Toronto now in 8th spot in the East. Suits 'em.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Just watched the game full lenghts and beside the Burrows/Hansen heroics the one player who really stood out was Mayson Raymond, he's a real gem right now, can't wait to have Booth back, wondering how the lines are looking then. (Kesler was kesler as so many times ;))

ps: on the backside of the medal, Ballard has to avoid his turnovers and bad passes i couldn't count anymore, he's not that a bad player, otherwise he'll be no longer a Canuck coming the dead line.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

The #1 duo and by extension the best line in the NHL was a combined -6 on the night.

The second rate players the canucks have playing on their top line were a mere +4.

If you put up points but are that far on the minus side you aren't helping the team (especially when at least one of the goals was a partial result of a stupidly long shift). On the season the canucks top line which only scores on the PP and is sooooo terribel 5-on-5 (at least from what I have been hearing on various boards) is a combined +36 and are 3 of the canucks top 4 guys in that department.

Also the canucks in the past month have moved from 25th or so in 5-on-5 GF/GA ratio up to 7th. They'll likely be in the top 3 or 4 when all is said and done.

Edler and Salo were far worse than Ballard last night. Ballard made some mistakes and poor passes but soft defense by Salo and Edler directly led to two of the goals. I feel no real need to jump on Ballard for a less than good game after he had several good games in a row.

NOw of course the trip likely should have been 5-0 but hard to complain about 7 of 10 points. It's a good trip. Canucks are building a nice cushion on 10th and below opening up a 8 point or more lead on those teams at this point. The playoff race really looks like it might be only between 9 teams in the west.
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Mëds wrote:
Luongo was excellent in the first, the only goal I was a bit upset with was the 2nd one by Bozak. But Lou was taking away the bottom of the net and Bozak was lucky to find that puck. Can't fault him for either of the other two. Good game for Louie.

Yes good game for Lou, but unless you are a prison bitch what are you doing on your knees? Before Bozak shot the lucky goal Lou was already on his knees? Everyone knows Lou goes down early and often, go high on Lou and you will have success. :drink:
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Jovo the Bozek goal was claerly the fault of the Dmen, Edler and Salo. A backhand is the hardest shot for a goaltender to get a read on because of the angle it comes off the stick. Luo played it like any butterfly tender would, covering the lower part of the net.

The Leaves were only in this game due to some really nonchalont defensive play by the Canucks. Some wingers seem to be getting the habit of moving the puck back down the wall in the D zone rather than battling it up the boards. At times the D zone puck support is not very good either. Salo and Edler have not played well the past 3 games IMO. Part of that is taking chances in the offensive zone and forwards not backing them up, but much of it is poor decisions and positioning in their own zone.

Having Kesler's line going offensively is huge for the Canucks. Had the disallowed goal stood this game would not likely have been close.

The 3rd and 4th lines are doing their jobs in the forechecking department and this allows the Sedins to benefit from a lot of offensive zone faceoffs.

Beauty goal by Hansen ! He has a different and awkward looking stride but he gets there. Made Dion look like an AHLer.

Good to Mase playing with confidence. He does not appear to have lost any speed or agility.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I got home from a function near midnight, but there was no way I was going to wait til this morning to watch this masterpiece.

I was very impressed with how well these two teams can entertain. Toronto is without a doubt a vastly improved team since Burke first took over, but I do find it a little humorous how they are nothing like ol' Papa Bear promised they'd be (belligerence, truculence blah blah blah) Colton Orr was certainly a huge factor in this game. :roll:

Having said that, TO will still be in tough to make the playoffs this year without a little luck on their side. Sure they have one of the top lines in the league (right now) but after Lupul and Kessel, they have Dion and Liles manning the point (who can't play D for shit) and a bunch of depth guys in support. If one of the aforementioned goes down long-term this club is in trouble. They still don't have a legit #1 in net, while Bozak seems to be a solid #2C at best, they're depth down the middle leaves (<see wot) a lot to be desired.

Schenn is going to be a real stud shut-down guy one day, if he isn't already. I also think that Frattin kid could turn out to be a real player as well. All in all, this club still has some glaring holes to fill, but fortunately for them, they play in an injury decimated Eastern Conference where the only real threat seems to be Boston again. That alone might allow this group to squeak in since, fuck I don't even know how long its been :lol:.

As for Vancouver, I was really proud of the guys tonight. They showed not just the nation, but Sweden and beyond just how deadly they can be if the opposition tries to take them on head on run n' gun. It just ain't gonna happen against this group. Vancouver didn't even need the power play to bury these guys, Toronto may be able to keep up offensively, but they're defensive game was picked apart by both Hank and Kes's line. Depth, discipline and superior skill on every line dictated the outcome for this match and had it not been for Ballard's disallowed goal, Vancouver would have buried that team a lot earlier.

Leaf killers:
Burr, Hank, Danny, Kes, Hansen, Raymond

Burke may have acquired them, but its been the Gillis regime that has allowed the super stars to flourish and the lesser-lites to really succeed.

Further Leaf killers: Dion and Lupul for their dreadful coverage without possession of the puck. This club may make the playoffs, but if they don't learn how to check and defend they won't last a week in April against playoff savvy Boston, Philly or Pitts.

Lastly, did I hear Cherry praising Luongo while predicting this club to go to the final again?!?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

BladesofSteel wrote: Lastly, did I hear Cherry praising Luongo while predicting this club to go to the final again?!?

Is there any surprise Don's new found love for Vancouver coincided directly with the release of his latest video?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote:cherry wasnt very nice to peon thegoof
Yeah something like:

"Back in the day you'd break the guy's (Hansen's) arm!... not saying he should've broke his arm but... " :lol:

I had the feeling Donny was more pissed at Hansen for exposing Dion than anything else....
____
Try to focus on someday.