Canucks vs. Blue Jackets in Columbus 4PM PST SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks vs. Blue Jackets in Columbus 4PM PST SNET-P

Post by rats19 »

It's great to get the point...but it sucks to leave one.

I think we played well enough to win but got few breaks..nothing seemed to click ....couldn't sustain much pressure. Passes not crisp on the tape, just one of those games. Won't mention the 3 for 3 in Shootout and that its pretty important in a Shootout to stop some of them..won't go there because on the other hand its also a fairly significant part of the Shootout...is to score on your chances..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Where's Wayne Gretzky when you need to identify the Mickey Mouse franchise of the league? At least Nashville has the interesting automatons preforming perfect trap tricks...

There is nothing interesting about Columbus games, and I'll be surprised if they are still in the league two years from now. Unless the league buys them like Phoenix.

I tuned away for the shootout - foregone conclusion. I guess that means that I have lost all hope for Luongo.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

They thought they'd win. Played like individuals. Not some thing a coach enjoys watching it is contagious. Luongo likely the best player
cheers
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Corb wrote:Meh. 1 of 82. Got a point.
Not singling you out Corb, but I think we were lucky to get a point.

We held a 1-0 game tight and were unable to send a message and win outright. IMO, we were lucky to get that nice bounce of a goal otherwise many would be all up in arms about how Lu lets in a first period goal and puts the team behind before they get started.

We got a point, thats crucial. IMO a point we didn't deserve. Now that is a fan with expectations! ;)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

well Rats seems the boys are predictable if nothing else :)
I didn't watch the game as its in the middle of the night here and the Columbus whatevers don't rate higher than a good nights sleep, but the highlights of Mason stoning some choice scoring ops would seem that the Canucks did not bring their "A" game consistently for whatever reason.

At least we get a point and Minny lost so we creep closer to our rightful spot at the top of the division standings. It would be nice to retire the division as champions for next year methinks...didnt we retire the smythe division as champs as well? cant remember of the top of my head...

all I can say really who's next?
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Glass half empty: Lost to BJ's of all teams. Lu lets in all 3 shootout attempts

Glass half full: Lu seems to have found his game and, outside of the shootout, his numbers are starting to look respectable. Still got a point out of the game

Cup runneth over: 5 out or 6 points on an eastern road trip. They are guaranteed at least a .500 trip which would have been fair expectations.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Just asking.. is there some rule that says we can't change goaltenders for the shootout? Luongo is consistently bad so why not put Scheider in for the Shit out?
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Tiger wrote:Just asking.. is there some rule that says we can't change goaltenders for the shootout? Luongo is consistently bad so why not put Scheider in for the Shit out?
I dont think there is a rule, but putting the back-up into a pressure cooker cold would qualify as hanging the guy out to dry.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

Good news about Luongo in the shoot-out is that at no point in time did he end up laying on his stomach. I call that progress.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blaster86 wrote:Good news about Luongo in the shoot-out is that at no point in time did he end up laying on his stomach. I call that progress.
Yeah I agree. The last two shooters were played as well as a goalie could. Nash is pretty much impossible to stop with his reach and array of moves. Wiesnewski made a good deke but had about a puck's width to tuck it in. If Luongo had longer toes, he would have stopped it.

Here's to progress.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Haven't seen Lu do the fish flop for a few games now. I assumed that Dr Melanson called the experiment a failure.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

clem wrote:Haven't seen Lu do the fish flop for a few games now. I assumed that Dr Melanson called the experiment a failure.
Lou did the flop on the BJ's only real goal, so it's definitely still there.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

I didn't get to see that goal. You may have crushed my optimism.

However, flopping on the puck (even if it squeezes by) is different than flopping in front of the shooter. There is a respectable flop, and then there is the … fish flop. ;)

Was Lu respectable or fishy ?
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Luongo kept them in a game that should not have gone to OT let alone a shootout !!

The strategy for breaking the trap is IMO not working. The Dman are forced to rifle the puck up the boards so the winger can tip it into the offensive zone. The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, it can lead to neutral zone turnovers, which it did on several occasions. Secondly, the "forecheckers" are standing still waiting for the puck to cross the blue line and they often can't get in quick enough. This strategy also tends to widen the gap between the D and forwards on breakouts as forwards vacate early.

Mason was ripe for the picking and the Canucks let him get away.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

clem wrote:I didn't get to see that goal. You may have crushed my optimism.

However, flopping on the puck (even if it squeezes by) is different than flopping in front of the shooter. There is a respectable flop, and then there is the … fish flop. ;)

Was Lu respectable or fishy ?
It was actually kind of like this goal also scored by Carter on Lu, it was a 4 on 3 and Carter somehow jammed it under his pad while Lu was prone.