Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Postby dhabums » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Why make of fun of Curt? Even what Gallagher sort of gets it right he gets it wrong.

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BCReefer » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 pm

nuckster wrote:
By the way, I'm quite convinced that our local sports writers cruise our boards. There have been numerous times in the past on CC when we've been in engaged in discussing different themes, only find lo and behold, that the same topic is now mysteriously being written about in a local paper. As bad as our local writers may be at times, nothing could ever be as bad as being exposed to sportsnet's Paul McClean and Kasparitis on a regular basis... good gawd they're nauseating.

Today's topic is all about getting a tougher guy on the 4th line and that would prevent all the injuries. Not that I agree/disagree but yes I would say local media reads what some poster write here and other places and uses it for their discussion.

Did I miss something last week the topic was trade talk about Luongo being traded? When was this started and was their any real talk this would happen? Maybe in a couple of years but no way would MG trade him now and no way would any team take him with this salary.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Postby Fred » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Interesting to listen to John Garrett on the noon SN hockey show. He stated that he has never seen star quality players ( Heart Trophy winner ) be scoffed by the folks at HNIC like the Sedins are. At that point Doug McLean agreed and said here are 2 perfect gentlemen of immense talent being ridiculed...again mostly by HNIC and the rest following along behind like sheep. And although he said other team often feel their star don't get respect Garrett said oh year name another Heart Trophy winner that is mocked like the Sedins by the media and M<cLean said that's very true.

Who knows maybe some media are starting to realize they're being lead down the garden path
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Postby Potatoe1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Fred wrote:Interesting to listen to John Garrett on the noon SN hockey show. He stated that he has never seen star quality players ( Heart Trophy winner ) be scoffed by the folks at HNIC like the Sedins are. At that point Doug McLean agreed and said here are 2 perfect gentlemen of immense talent being ridiculed...again mostly by HNIC and the rest following along behind like sheep. And although he said other team often feel their star don't get respect Garrett said oh year name another Heart Trophy winner that is mocked like the Sedins by the media and M<cLean said that's very true.

Who knows maybe some media are starting to realize they're being lead down the garden path

What I find kind of interesting is that none of the local meda really picked up on Don Cherry going after Ron McLean for his Canuck bias.

Don went after him a bit during coaches corer and then just hammered him after the game because he was super pissed off about the "anti-fighting" discussion.

After the game Cherry sad something like "oh yeah look at Vancouver, they are going to go to the final again this year and I know you are just going to hate that Ron".

This is great stuff and 1000 x more interesting then the crap I read in the paper Sunday and Monday, yet not a word about it.

I think our local guys are a bit in awe of McLean and because of that he gets away with a ton of BS. I remember he went on the Team40 after the Burrows smear thing, Pratt and Taylor both hyped the interview up like they were going to rip Ron a new one but they ended up giving his the softest landing possible.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby wienerdog » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:I think our local guys are a bit in awe of McLean and because of that he gets away with a ton of BS. I remember he went on the Team40 after the Burrows smear thing, Pratt and Taylor both hyped the interview up like they were going to rip Ron a new one but they ended up giving his the softest landing possible.

Bwhaha, pot, is "softest landing possible" code for "thorough tongue-delivered peanut & corn cleanout"?

That was fucking embarrassing and was one of the last times I listened to that show.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:06 pm

As for the media I've had enough of Don Taylor and B--Mac with the weak Paul Morris imitations.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Patterson says: the media will always get the last word, so don't try to intimidate them.

Right the media espouses opinion, whilst forgetting to cover the story. Nothing worst than a pissing match between someone covering a personality and the personality himself.

David Pratt sure showed Brian Burke, amirite?

Sekeres leaves the Globe and Mail which requires sources, research, polish and general input of effort to join the 1040. What's wrong with this picture? I guess Matt prefer's the B-Mac do-nothing-and-get-paid-route. At least B-Mac doesn't depend to be anything more than he is--a guy offering opinions on sports.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:What I find kind of interesting is that none of the local meda really picked up on Don Cherry going after Ron McLean for his Canuck bias.

Don went after him a bit during coaches corer and then just hammered him after the game because he was super pissed off about the "anti-fighting" discussion.

After the game Cherry sad something like "oh yeah look at Vancouver, they are going to go to the final again this year and I know you are just going to hate that Ron".

Not sure if it's been talked about here (I've been away) but didn't Cherry accuse MacLean of saying - behind the scenes - that he thought Burrows opened the door on purpose in the Ottawa game and that he was diving in the Montreal game?

Be gentle I'VE BEEN AWAY.

MacLean is the one who started all this media hate-the-Canucks bullshit with his attack on Burrows back when imo.

HNIC is gunna be interesting on Saturday night! :thumbs:

I stopped listening to Vancouver sports media years ago....
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby dhabums » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:43 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:What I find kind of interesting is that none of the local meda really picked up on Don Cherry going after Ron McLean for his Canuck bias.

Not sure if it's been talked about here (I've been away) but didn't Cherry accuse MacLean of saying - behind the scenes - that he thought Burrows opened the door on purpose in the Ottawa game and that he was diving in the Montreal game?

Be gentle I'VE BEEN AWAY.

MacLean is the one who started all this media hate-the-Canucks bullshit with his attack on Burrows back when imo.

HNIC is gunna be interesting on Saturday night! :thumbs:

I stopped listening to Vancouver sports media years ago....

Too much is being made of what Cherry said.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby GoalieDad » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 am

dhabums wrote:Why make of fun of Curt? Even what Gallagher sort of gets it right he gets it wrong.

The only thing I've got to say is, "I LOVE that picture!" And ... who is it? (Thx in advance)
GoalieDad
CC Rookie

Postby dhabums » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 am

GoalieDad wrote:
dhabums wrote:Why make of fun of Curt? Even what Gallagher sort of gets it right he gets it wrong.

pic

The only thing I've got to say is, "I LOVE that picture!" And ... who is it? (Thx in advance)

Curt Ridley, one of my favourite goalies as a kid. That mask is classic.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby ESQ » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:15 am

dhabums wrote:Too much is being made of what Cherry said.

Maybe so .... probably because Cherry called out Maclean the way we expected Pratt and Taylor too. It took 2 years and Cherry in a fiesty mood for Maclean to finally be taken to task for the Burrows piece.

While we're getting our hate on, how about the intro to HNIC with the CGI players skating around? God I hate that. Just show me the actual highlight clip, its so much more impressive and cool than a bizarre-looking faceoff between Gretzky and Crosby.
ESQ
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Strangelove » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:15 pm

dhabums wrote:Too much is being made of what Cherry said.

As a longtime (and justified/righteous) Ronald MacLean hater I beg to differ!

Any road which may lead to the comeuppance of said scumbag is a very good road indeed.
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Mondi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Can anyone provide a link the relevant Cherry comments?

On that note, I think Cherry gets a rough right from the other hockey "media" in this country. I mean he's an old dude with antiquate views, but he knows the game better than most. And, he isn't a bed wetter, nor is he looking for the next controversy to create. Sure, his views are controversial, but he isn't trying to be the story or create the story.

I like how he stood up for Luongo in the playoffs particularly when he took his comments in their context (i.e. he mentioned how Thomas has the ability to make lots of save he could not).

I'm okay with Cherry. He's just an old dude who says crazy stuff once and a while.
Mondi
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Joe Rockhead » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:53 am

Love Cherry!

Absolutely hate the Vancouver media!

Hate isn't a strong enough word!

I actually daydream of shit kicking the geek piles of sh*t!
Don Cherry for P.M.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat