"Canucks Corner Classic" forum for Oldschool Posters

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone would support the idea of having a "Canucks Corner Classic" section of the forum that would only be available for oldschool posters (i.e. anyone that was a long term member of this forum before the Summer of 2011).

I do NOT want to sound cliquey or disrespectful to the Centralites that have joined us recently....as I was once a Centralite myself and greatly enjoy their presence on this site, but I think a large part of what made Canuckscorner unique and special was the fact that people could post something, go a day or two without visiting the site, and not have to wade through dozens upon dozens of posts to see what responses they got. I think it's awesome that the Centralites are here, and I think it's great for the site, but why not cater to both groups?

The Centralites are already accustomed to seeing hundreds of posts per day, and I think they would be understanding of a 'Corner Classic' section. Have the Hockey Forum, Game Day Forum, etc., etc., be reserved for anyone, and have the 'Canucks Corner Classic' section reserved only for oldschool posters. In creating a forum like this however, it is my hope that the 'Centralites' and the 'Oldschool' posters can continue to interact with each other on the other forums, without feeling like its "us vs. them." I LOVE the fact that we got posters like UWSaint, Hockey Widow, and Potatoe on here (and donlever if he ever joins us). I am their biggest fans, and have been for years. However - I also miss posters such as Clam Russell and drdork......posters who I suspect are posting less due to the high volume and difficulty involved in tracking posts.

Could something like this work?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: "Canucks Corner Classic" forum for Oldschool Posters

Post by rats19 »

We asked for a similar thing and were told no....maybe this angle will work..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I don't really see a reason for it. Aren't we here to talk/ discuss/ read about hockey?

Sure there are a lot of posts, but if you don't come here often, how bad is it if you miss a few threads?

I check in a few times a day and read 'most' of the posts, but there are some threads that just don't interest me enough to read each and every post.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Sure you could call it the "whites only" thread

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there is a lot less posting since the last time Brian posted here on another thread. there are quite a few people staying away because while everyone talks a good game about all for one and one for all, it isnt quite like that. I'm not going to put words in anyone's mouths as to why they are voting with their feet but could it be that this attitude that there is a Classic Canucks corner poster and there are Centralite - have something to do with it?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ukcanuck wrote:Sure you could call it the "whites only" thread

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there is a lot less posting since the last time Brian posted here on another thread. there are quite a few people staying away because while everyone talks a good game about all for one and one for all, it isnt quite like that. I'm not going to put words in anyone's mouths as to why they are voting with their feet but could it be that this attitude that there is a Classic Canucks corner poster and there are Centralite "douchebags" have something to do with it?
Agreed, a weird energy on here, are we all just burnt out from the Spring run?! Not Brian....something else rotten in the state of Denmark... 8-) Krapskill...nothing worse than a has been...it's soooo lameoid it's almost :lol: or was that your intention?! I thought I was the Half-Board Jester :sly:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote:I don't really see a reason for it. Aren't we here to talk/ discuss/ read about hockey?

Sure there are a lot of posts, but if you don't come here often, how bad is it if you miss a few threads?

I check in a few times a day and read 'most' of the posts, but there are some threads that just don't interest me enough to read each and every post.

Pretty much my view on it. It's a fucking hockey message board (and a good one at that). I honestly could give two shits how many boards someone posts on or what board they posted on before this.

Honestly, I find the rival board thing a bit much. I get the feeling everyone else on here is a complete computer nerd and sometimes feel shame that I come here to post. :lol: I found this board first, so I joined it. I don't feel the need to post on mulitple boards covering the same injury, trade, game or player stool sample multiple times.

So my thoughts would be "No", we don't need some two-tiered system for "old" members and "new" members. It shouldn't matter if someone's joining their first message board, or if they've posted elsewhere for a decade. IT'S A FUCKING MESSAGE BOARD.

It's really sad that a bunch of grown people resort to cock-measuring on the internet... over a Canucks message board. Really? PLAYOFFS?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Yes, segregating posters further should help everyone get along better.

I really think we should have separate water fountains as well!

:thumbs:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:Yes, segregating posters further should help everyone get along better.
The reality is that people are getting along.

Most of the hockey related threads are on topic and of high quality. The only "former corner poster" who I have seen get a rough ride on occasion is Fred and I think he kind of enjoys it.

The only drama I see comes in threads like this one (and I'm just shocked that Kaupil wold start some drama).

If the 2 old vs. "new threads" were deleted and that 5 month old "warning to Central posters" were removed, then 95% of the nonsense would disappear.

And yes people are voting with their feet - at least according to my PM box.

Anyway this is pretty much my last post on the subject.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:Yes, segregating posters further should help everyone get along better.
The reality is that people are getting along.
Oh I agree with you, which is why I think this topic is a little silly.

There's some great discussion going on and I think people are getting used to the new dynamics which is why we should just get rid of topics or posts that bring up the "old vs. new".

It's like the media trying to keep some sort of controversy going.

Just need to accept things for the way they are!
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Farhan, change is hard but this board hit puberty and is growing in leaps and bounds. Right now it's at the awkward stage where the limbs are too long, acne on the face is in and it looks awkward. A bit of time for all the part to catch up and this place is going be one sexy bitch or hot stud.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

Not that anyone cares but the world of message boards changed for me when creeper died. Rummy's a funny guy but it's not the same.... hasn't been the same since. He was a funny mother fucker. The best forum poster I knew in nearly 20 years of playing on-line. I'd come back every day to see what shenanigans creeper was up to. I was rarely let down. With nobody able to step into creepers shoes, in terms of quality humorous content, it’s got pretty stale and boring.

Hence, I hardly post anymore. :hmmm:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

LOL,

Love the responses here. A few things though:

1) I do NOT have an "us vs. them" mentality. I am highly fond of the Centralites and am really glad that they're here. Even though I am estranged from many of the posters from there (atleast publicly), I greatly enjoy their presence and am glad to see them here. In a weird sort of way, it's like a family re-union.

2) My intention for having a "Canucks Corner Classic" forum isn't to divide (as I thought I stated).....but to rather, create something that caters to two types of people: Those that post on here every day, on an hourly basis (as seems to be the case with most Centralites).....and those that post maybe 15-20 minutes per day, or every other day (as seems to be the case with most Corner guys). Obvious exceptions on both sides (and so no, I'm not trying to 'stereotype').

I just figured that by having the Hockey Talk forum (where everyone mingles), and then having a "Canucks Corner Classic" section, everyone can still interact with each other as we have been........but the 'oldschool' guys will also still post....and won't feel as though their "home has changed." Guys like drdork and Clam Russel made their home here for many years because it WAS lower traffic......and higher quality over quantity. As I said before, I suspect that both men are conspicuous in their absence because of this.

I also think that most 'Centralites' will be the first to admit that many Centralites tend to create threads (which often exceed 20 pages in length) which are flooded with extremely short sentences (maybe one or two brief thoughts per post), whereas an 'oldschool' Corner poster may be more inclined to give a post a little more thought and present 10-12 different points in 1 post (resulting in much lower quantity.....and far less pages to scroll).

But again - it's just an idea.

Many posters in this thread have also pointed out that doing something like this could create further divide.......and perhaps they are right. Anyway - just an idea. I am happy either way.

I am glad to see the Centralites on here and greatly look forward to reading their analysis'.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Watch It farhan....one day I might even make a post about hockey..now wouldnt that freakout the masses..lol
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rats19 wrote:Watch It farhan....one day I might even make a post about hockey..now wouldnt that freakout the masses..lol
Lollll

Well - when that day DOES happen, it will be one more post than Mr. Sick Bunny. :P

Speaking of the Bunny, where is that cantankerous old man?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Have not seen bun bun for a while..a few others too.