W Where are the long term members of *this* board?

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Badfish
MVP
MVP

Re: W Where are the long term members of *this* board?

Post by Badfish »

Perhaps we've just hit on something here. The reason I don't follow GDTs much is because I'm not here to discuss individual games, but the team in general. I don't watch the game and post along with it, not interested in "Did you see that hit?" and such, but don't discount it's value to many. Calling me less of a fan because I don't follow a GDT is ridiculous though. It's just not my thing. Just like knowing ridiculous stats isn't everybody's thing. but I wouldn't call anyone less of a fan because I follow them and they don't. To each their own. How anyone who's followed the team non-stop since his early childhood can be "less of a fan" by not paying attention to a GDT is beyond me.

But back to my point. Perhaps this is a central difference in posters from pre and post migration? Some are used to a constant stream-of-thought type thread where it's more like a real-time conversation you'd have in a bar with someone, vs a slower paced, sort of posting. Not to judge either, because both are valid, but perhaps thats the style difference we're all trying to figure out. Some are looking for a thread where you post once or twice a day in which you read a thread, and put all your ideas into a single response and wait 24hrs for other posters to read and respond, where others are looking for the constant conversation type of thread where one-liners are thrown back and forth like you would with a buddy in RL? I don't want to sound negative about that type, maybe someone who's in that mind set would do a better job of describing it aptly. But the best short description I can come up with:

Short posts, ongoing, conversation-at-the-bar type posting
vs
slightly longer, slower paced, read and reaction type posts?

I dunno, just throwing it out there. Does this click with anyone?

Again, I'm in no way saying either is better, but perhaps this might help some of us understand where the others are coming from?

*ERdit* and for the record Rats, I don't enjoy icing on cakes either. too much sugar! ;)
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Fair enough badfish....ok. maybe I should not have questioned your level of teamfanatasism, for that I am sorry. However maybe It is the messahe board itself you are a casual observer of. Kinda take It or leave it if Its not to much effort.

I have been on these borads since 1996 or so and at times I am on 20 times a day. Believe it or not I also have a life, but these boards are a part of it too.

So, I guess I put more stock In the value and enjoyment level received from these boards.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I am using a phone right now and its really frustrating doing an edit for spelling,sorry about that..
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Badfish wrote: But back to my point. Perhaps this is a central difference in posters from pre and post migration? Some are used to a constant stream-of-thought type thread where it's more like a real-time conversation you'd have in a bar with someone, vs a slower paced, sort of posting. Not to judge either, because both are valid, but perhaps thats the style difference we're all trying to figure out.
Just so it's all clear here...

You have posted at total of 15 times in the last calendar year, 7 of those posts were in this thread.....

Based on that it would seem you basically quit posting well before the "migration" and are much more interested in stirring the pot then you are in talking hockey.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Old stick who started this thread had like 12 posts in total. That's why I said you better be a reincanate or his opinion would mean squat
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Yes I have admittedly posted less here for awhile, although last seasons I was still quite a regular visitor. Does this change the content of what I'm saying? As for stiring the pot,if anything I'm just trying to cool it down, create some greater understanding. I don't get all this hostility towards my posts, I'm not putting anyone down, simply trying to highlight the differences between then and now, as is the topic of this thread. I've said over and over I'm all for the new members, have nothing against them. Just stating the differences I've noticed personally.

As for my participation, well like I said my life has been getting busier and busier lately, so the time I have available to this site has decreased substantially. That doesn't mean I haven't been lurking either. If you look at my total posts, I've done my share of contributing, and continue to do so when I can. But this isn't a pissing contest! If anything here I'm trying to help diffuse the tensions, thats all.

However since you've got me looking, as I look back at my posts, I can probably count on two hands how many threads I've commented on that have been over 10 pages long, from 2005-2010. Always have been this way, I'm not the most active poster by any means, but I enjoy this site because when I have something to say, I can come here and usually have a solid discussion about it. Does my lack of participation in the past year make my opinion less valid? I didn't used to think so! As someone who's contributed steadily over the past 7-8 years (not counting the old board) I just wanted to throw in MY answer to the topic of this thread, which asked where all the old posters have gone.

My main point from my posts today:
vs

Again, I'm in no way saying either is better, but perhaps this might help some of us understand where the others are coming from?
Does this resonate with anyone else out there?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Badfish wrote:Yes I have admittedly posted less here for awhile, although last seasons I was still quite a regular visitor. Does this change the content of what I'm saying?
Yes.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Sorry, so the quality of my message is dependent on the amount of forum posts I can make? Man, things really HAVE changed.

Please feel free to comment on my main points and debate them if you wish. It's like you're not even listening to what I'm saying. This thread's topic is about why old posters don't post anymore. well I AM an old poster and I DON'T post much anymore! Thank you for pointing out the obvious! This is why I replied to this thread whilst lurking, and explained the reasons why I haven't been posting in the past while. If you don't want to discuss that, I'm not sure why you're reading this thread.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I see what you are saying.but you miss our point. Regardless of how busy your life has become and so forth. Why does It matter when you never post. It's like complaining about government and not voting..
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Badfish wrote:Sorry, so the quality of my message is dependent on the amount of forum posts I can make?
The problem is you represented yourself as someone who stopped posing due to the influx of new people, but the reality is you stopped posting over a year ago and thus this whole discussion is just a bunch of BS.

You are enjoying stirring the pot that's the only reason you are even here right now.

I was all ready to write a posts comparing the old post quality with the current post quality but it would have been a total waste of time given how disingenuous your whole argument has been.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Perhaps this topic should be renamed "Where are the long term members of this board? (Only recent posters may reply)"

How can you have a discussion about where and why old posters aren't here anymore if you don't wan to hear the opinion of the very posters in question?

It's not like not voting and complaining about gov, it's like getting a survey from a shop you no longer frequent asking you why you don't shop there anymore, and when you answer having them tell you "this survey is for recent customers only".

I don't post much lately. But I do post, just not often. Like you said, before this thread, and handful of times in the past year. However I still. do. post. and I lurk. I lurk quite a bit, but don't post BECAUSE.... (pause for dramtic effect) of the reasons stated above. Whether or not you think that's valid due to my recent inactivity is up to you. I still enjoy the site. I still lurk, and read many of the posts here even if I don't always post. I answered this thread that I felt was pretty much addressed directly to people like me. I'm trying to HELP the situation by explaining my view, and perhaps giving an analogy that might help both ends of the spectrum understand each other. I don't really see whats wrong with that.

*edit*

I haven't posted here much for awhile for a variety of reasons, and as I've said repeatedly, is due in part to the increase in traffic as well as my own RL demands. I've said over and over I have no problem with the new members and enjoy the influx of new viewpoints. However the influx of new members DID contribute to my posting even less this season to date than I have in previous years. But I accept that this site is bound to grow, and don't have a problem with it. I'm just stating why I, personally, post less now than I have in the past.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ok badfish...

Why did your posting stop prior to june 2011?
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Realize too that how much I post does not reflect how often I visit the site. Even when I haven't posted for 2 months at a time, you can be sure I've visited the forums and browsed the topics on a number of occasions. But due to RL demands as well as the length of some of the posts, I usually don't respond.

I don't know how this got turned into a "prove your worthiness, Badfish" type of thing. I'm a long-time member, responding to a thread about where long term members have gone. What's so hard to figure out? Why did I stop posting prior to June 2011? Because I've been busy. That doesn't mean I'm not a regular visitor to the site. That doesn't mean I don't read the forums and front page regularly. All it means is I've had less time available to make actual posts, and more and more as of late when I do check in, I don't post due to the massive length of some topics I'm interested. But thats fine! I'm not trying to get people to only have 4 page threads, if you read my posts I've said this repeatedly. Change is inevitable and I'm not making any judgement calls here, I'm just giving you my answer to the thread's topic.

And now I'm going to stop for now, take a breather. I'll check in in a day or two, see if there've been more responses at that point, when I'm not wasting time here that I should be wasting on studying. Interested to get other opinions on my idea of two thread types I posted earlier, if it's not already buried in posts about the validity of my membership in this community.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ok..life gets in the way sometimes, I go through periods of less activity myself. To be honest I may be taking this personally as the old board members make thier opinion known. That's why I asked about prior to June2011 . That Is likely the entire answer if truth be told, with threads longer etc Its even harder to stay abreast.

Busy busy busy...but not the migrations fault. Thnx badfish..
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Badfish wrote:
My main point from my posts today:
vs

Does this resonate with anyone else out there?
Yup, with me.

I am not into writing a thoughtful post and waiting 24 hrs for a response. My responses should add to the conversation/debate and it should continue onwards and upwards. We aint sitting at Ira's Internet cafe sipping our coffees single finger typing while wiping our over grown mustaches with a silk napkin.

In all honesty, this board is slower than I expected with responses/posts and following than I had heard previously. If anything, the board needs more traffic not less. This is 2011, not dial up 1992.