Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by wienerdog »

Mondi wrote:I suppose you're a libertarian at heart. You just raised the intensity of this thread about 4 notches.

In my view, there is more to life than individual autonomy. Systemic issues are real. Hence my argument that SNP is part of the problem even if they provide reasonable coverage.

With that being said, some responsibility lies on the players and management to tune out the hacks. But, I can't agree that it is merely a choice as to whether duplicitous suggestion can undermine your confidence.

Furthermore, hockey media aren't exactly Pulitzer material, I'm completely fine with a reasonable standard of professionalism and respect for the craft mixed with a small dose of support for the home team. I'd call it: mature journalism.
IMO, the intensity of the general conversation surrounding this issue can't be high enough. It comes from a burning disdain towards the general level of acceptance re: the media machine, Mondi.

I'm not a libertarian of any stripe that you're thinking of - I'm simply a proponent of good old fashioned free thought.

Free thinking is an active endeavour, and the majority are getting lazy. That's resulted in an epic greasy slide right down into the swamplands for most information outlets, because they know they won't get challenged on anything.

I bolded what I did above because you're right - they are real. But the real question is - what is going to be done about this problem? How is it going to change? Until the consumers demand something different, the answer is: it won't.

In case there's a misunderstanding: I'm not upset with you or your suggestions. I understand what your point is, and I even agree with most of it in principle. I think I even agree that it likely affects the performance of the team in some immeasurable sort of metric. But the concerns you're raising just won't be heard anymore, because these hawks don't care. They're not concerned in the slightest about the aspirations you're addressing here.

I suppose we can't forget that players are for the most part still young and impressionable, and mangement needs to ensure that the players are enlightened, but if there's anything an NHL'er of any brain capacity can understand, it's motivation.

In a market like this one, it's critical that they grasp that "media" is a highly calculated precison apparatus that is motivated by money and power, and has had nearly every ounce of humanism and integrity sucked out of it long ago; the age of whatever journalism you're looking for - mature or otherwise - is nowhere to be seen in mainstream mediums, Mondi. I don't think we'll see such a thing in our lifetime.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote: but my question is whether these outlets undermine the psychology of the team.
The answer is no. They exaggerate it to create ratings, cause honestly, how much interesting local sporting news is there on a daily basis to keep us interested enough to tune in to keep them an economy? They are the stock promoters of journalism, fleecing the listener creating a false journalistic economy and therefor they are doing nothing more than bottom-feeding us pond sum.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

I think it would surprise a lot of you how 'managed' the media are by the PR people of teams. Look at the length some TO media have gone to get stories on the leaves this season. Vancouver may be heading in that direction but it's still a long way off.

If you want time with a player you better not embarrass the coach when he is on the podium. You want access to the GM make sure you play by the team's rules in the scrums. It's so freaking political and personal in many cases that 'hard hitting' is done. Then look at the space writers are given. Advertisers who get in with the Canucks are often in the same dailies so don't piss them off. I don't see it as much as a problem with the writers as much as it is the control and $$ that surrounds them.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
nucksin7
AHL Prospect

Post by nucksin7 »

So... I open The Province sports page today, and a Tony Gallagher puff piece catches my eye!

I dont know if anybody from this thread read it or not - http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Lose+ ... story.html - But as im reading it I cant help but wonder if maybe he was cruising CanucksCorner.Com and saw he was being ripped up on this thread lol.

I have to say, he finally got it right for a change haha.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mondi wrote:I cannot emphasize enough that the media is not the story. The media does not create the story. The media's role is to cover the story.
Agree 100% - this is what gets lost when the media's ego and sense of self-importance becomes over-inflated. There is nothing that pisses me off more than listening to the media talk about "The Media". I first noticed it as a problem a couple years ago when Gillis put Botchford on blast for a totally asinine article he wrote - might have been proposing a Bieksa trade or something like that. The Media then had a solid 3 days of navel-gazing before concluding that, in fact, they were totally in the right to literally make up a trade proposal and write/discuss it.

As for what is to be done about the systemic problems with the media, I think its happening in this thread. Consumers are taking back the media, forming our own opinions, doing our own research to back them up, and questioning the conventional "wisdom" being published. When the TEAM and the Province start losing listeners/members because fans are fed up with the terrible coverage and find alternatives like this site, the media product will change.

Of course, I think we all agree that media improvement = media coverage shrinking dramatically.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Has anybody been checking out www.prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com ? Since the new NHL deal its become my favourite news source, its very frequently updated with solid articles, plus they now have Jason Brough writing there.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Halford is there too, that's what happened to the Kurtenblog.

I actually post in the comments section there from time to time, I'd say it's a solid site for 'around the league' type stuff.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Our local media is beset with it's own particular kind of biases, slants, `flavours', and perspectives, that I can tolerate usually (although Tony Gallagher tends to get under my skin more than the others). As bad as it may be at times, it's nothing like what we find on the national stage - the eastern media is atrocious; especially when it comes to their anti-Canuck sentiment. It never stops and it's perpetuated by CBC as much as any other entity.

I remember going back to '94 when the Canucks played TO in the western final, I could hardly watch the game with the volume on, cause the commentators were so biased (and that includes Harry Neale for shit sakes). Unfortunately, the legacy has continued. As someone pointed out, there again was Ron McClean bringing up Burrows again (what a frikin asshole) on account of Burrows last year calling into question a particular referee's judgement and the referee then admitted to his slanted view - at least to Burrows). But it goes on and on. Not sure who the CBC commentator was on Saturday, who stated, as Kesler is on his knees during a play, "oh yes well it is really quite ok for Foligno to body-check Kesler when Kesler is on his knees". WTF!!? How does common-sense fly out of the window like that? OK.. i digress...

It is quite satisfying for a long-suffering Canuck fan to hear talk of appreciating the here and now, since yes, it may well be that we are in our glory days right now... and just maybe, if they can somehow make it back to the final, just maybe, they can find a way to over-come the loaded deck that manifests itself in the eastern slant and the corresponding 'flip-flop' officiating??

By the way, I'm quite convinced that our local sports writers cruise our boards. There have been numerous times in the past on CC when we've been in engaged in discussing different themes, only find lo and behold, that the same topic is now mysteriously being written about in a local paper. As bad as our local writers may be at times, nothing could ever be as bad as being exposed to sportsnet's Paul McClean and Kasparitis on a regular basis... good gawd they're nauseating.
cc oldtimer
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Why make of fun of Curt? Even what Gallagher sort of gets it right he gets it wrong.

BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

nuckster wrote:
By the way, I'm quite convinced that our local sports writers cruise our boards. There have been numerous times in the past on CC when we've been in engaged in discussing different themes, only find lo and behold, that the same topic is now mysteriously being written about in a local paper. As bad as our local writers may be at times, nothing could ever be as bad as being exposed to sportsnet's Paul McClean and Kasparitis on a regular basis... good gawd they're nauseating.
Today's topic is all about getting a tougher guy on the 4th line and that would prevent all the injuries. Not that I agree/disagree but yes I would say local media reads what some poster write here and other places and uses it for their discussion.

Did I miss something last week the topic was trade talk about Luongo being traded? When was this started and was their any real talk this would happen? Maybe in a couple of years but no way would MG trade him now and no way would any team take him with this salary.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Interesting to listen to John Garrett on the noon SN hockey show. He stated that he has never seen star quality players ( Heart Trophy winner ) be scoffed by the folks at HNIC like the Sedins are. At that point Doug McLean agreed and said here are 2 perfect gentlemen of immense talent being ridiculed...again mostly by HNIC and the rest following along behind like sheep. And although he said other team often feel their star don't get respect Garrett said oh year name another Heart Trophy winner that is mocked like the Sedins by the media and M<cLean said that's very true.

Who knows maybe some media are starting to realize they're being lead down the garden path
cheers
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Fred wrote:Interesting to listen to John Garrett on the noon SN hockey show. He stated that he has never seen star quality players ( Heart Trophy winner ) be scoffed by the folks at HNIC like the Sedins are. At that point Doug McLean agreed and said here are 2 perfect gentlemen of immense talent being ridiculed...again mostly by HNIC and the rest following along behind like sheep. And although he said other team often feel their star don't get respect Garrett said oh year name another Heart Trophy winner that is mocked like the Sedins by the media and M<cLean said that's very true.

Who knows maybe some media are starting to realize they're being lead down the garden path

What I find kind of interesting is that none of the local meda really picked up on Don Cherry going after Ron McLean for his Canuck bias.

Don went after him a bit during coaches corer and then just hammered him after the game because he was super pissed off about the "anti-fighting" discussion.

After the game Cherry sad something like "oh yeah look at Vancouver, they are going to go to the final again this year and I know you are just going to hate that Ron".

This is great stuff and 1000 x more interesting then the crap I read in the paper Sunday and Monday, yet not a word about it.

I think our local guys are a bit in awe of McLean and because of that he gets away with a ton of BS. I remember he went on the Team40 after the Burrows smear thing, Pratt and Taylor both hyped the interview up like they were going to rip Ron a new one but they ended up giving his the softest landing possible.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Potatoe1 wrote:I think our local guys are a bit in awe of McLean and because of that he gets away with a ton of BS. I remember he went on the Team40 after the Burrows smear thing, Pratt and Taylor both hyped the interview up like they were going to rip Ron a new one but they ended up giving his the softest landing possible.
Bwhaha, pot, is "softest landing possible" code for "thorough tongue-delivered peanut & corn cleanout"?

That was fucking embarrassing and was one of the last times I listened to that show.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

As for the media I've had enough of Don Taylor and B--Mac with the weak Paul Morris imitations.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Potatoe1 wrote: What I find kind of interesting is that none of the local meda really picked up on Don Cherry going after Ron McLean for his Canuck bias.

Don went after him a bit during coaches corer and then just hammered him after the game because he was super pissed off about the "anti-fighting" discussion.

After the game Cherry sad something like "oh yeah look at Vancouver, they are going to go to the final again this year and I know you are just going to hate that Ron".
Not sure if it's been talked about here (I've been away) but didn't Cherry accuse MacLean of saying - behind the scenes - that he thought Burrows opened the door on purpose in the Ottawa game and that he was diving in the Montreal game?

Be gentle I'VE BEEN AWAY.

MacLean is the one who started all this media hate-the-Canucks bullshit with his attack on Burrows back when imo.

HNIC is gunna be interesting on Saturday night! :thumbs:

I stopped listening to Vancouver sports media years ago....
____
Try to focus on someday.