GDT: Nov 25 Canucks @ Coyotes

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Nov 25 Canucks @ Coyotes

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: -Tonight it was pretty obvious what Gillis was after with the Booth acquisition. Booth looked good with Kesler, won a ton of battles, had a ton of shots, and scored a goal. More importantly however Booth spent a ton of time in the trenches and ultimately got his goal from there. The Canucks were woefully lacking in the secondary scoring this playoff but more importantly they were lacking guys who could get to the inside and score from there.
I have yet to see anything resembling a nifty little skill set from this 4.5 million dollar man.
He doesn't need to be "nifty", he needs to forecheck, win puck battles, drive the net, and score goals from the trenches.

He did all those things last night and if he continues to do them, no one should be complaining.
At the 4.5 million dollar price tag that Booth comes with, a higher expectation other than what you mentioned above, which IMO is a glowingly description of a player that is simply not true, should be expected and not out of line, otherwise we or should I say Gillis should have gotten someone to do what you suggest at half the price, that would have been frugal and smart management. At 4.5 million I would expect to see hints of a Bill Guerin like Skill package combined with his so called power forward physique but I am seeing none of it.

So please don't down grade the out of this world game that Kesler played last night and pass some of that greatness on to Zealot Booth.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

RoyalDude wrote: At the 4.5 million dollar price tag that Booth comes with....yada yada yada
It's actually a $4.25M cap hit, so you need to adjust your expectations by about 5%.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote: At the 4.5 million dollar price tag that Booth comes with, a higher expectation other than what you mentioned above, At 4.5 million I would expect to see hints of a Bill Guerin like Skill package combined with his so called power forward physique but I am seeing none of it.
It seems you are out of touch with the current NHL Market.

4.25 simply does not get what you are expecting unless you are signing your own player to a sweetheart deal.

If you are going into the free agent market, a 23 goal 40+ point scorer with size, speed, and grit (and is also 26 not 32) is going to be well over 4 mill at a term that likely stretches through their early 30's.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

coco_canuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: At the 4.5 million dollar price tag that Booth comes with....yada yada yada
It's actually a $4.25M cap hit, so you need to adjust your expectations by about 5%.
Hey, I wouldn't mind the price tag if his contract ended this year, but we are stuck with this money pit for years.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: At the 4.5 million dollar price tag that Booth comes with, a higher expectation other than what you mentioned above, At 4.5 million I would expect to see hints of a Bill Guerin like Skill package combined with his so called power forward physique but I am seeing none of it.
It seems you are out of touch with the current NHL Market.

4.25 simply does not get what you are expecting unless you are signing your own player to a sweetheart deal.

If you are going into the free agent market, a 23 goal 40+ point scorer with size, speed, and grit (and is also 26 not 32) is going to be well over 4 mill at a term that likely stretches through their early 30's.
Please Tater, lose the 'Grit' description when describing Booth.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Why would I do that?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Why would I do that?
Because it ain't accurate.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Why would I do that?
Because it ain't accurate.
We disagree,

He forechecks hard, takes the body, drives the net, and takes a hit to make a play.

Just because he is a crappy fighter doesn't mean he isn't "gritty".

I suppose Higgenst isnt gritty either?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:
Hey, I wouldn't mind the price tag if his contract ended this year, but we are stuck with this money pit for years.
So you think he is worth it this year but not next?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

It seems grit or toughness has to be synonymous with some sort of truculence for some.

Anyways, Booth needs to be a 25-30 goal scorer first and foremost to justify his salary. He also needs to consistently work and succeed in the dirty areas.

I think we're going to see his offensive form round out nicely in the second half of the season, and we've already seen his willingness to go to the tough areas.

The only way this deal looks bad is if Booth completely loses his scoring touch and continually floats around the perimeter. I highly doubt that happens.

But if anyone is expecting him to play like a star 1st line winger, then your expectations are a little warped.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote: So you think he is worth it this year but not next?
Not quite dhacuckolder, I can live with the pain for one year, knowing that the pain will meet its end at seasons Final, but such is not the case dhagimp.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I find Booth's puck handling pretty weak to be honest. The other aspects of his game, when he's on, will certainly help the team though. They need to work on his nickname too, Boothy is horrid. Moses might be a good one :thumbs:

Schneider looked good again, even though he wasn't too busy. We know AV has the stones to sit Lou, and I hope he chooses to ride the shutout streak.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Corb wrote:I find Booth's puck handling pretty weak to be honest. The other aspects of his game, when he's on, will certainly help the team though. They need to work on his nickname too, Boothy is horrid. Moses might be a good one :thumbs:
Moses parted the defense, and they skated to the promised land. :eh:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote: He forechecks hard, takes the body, drives the net, and takes a hit to make a play.
So curious, Booth was beaten to the outside last night a couple times, lost a few puck battles which I have grown to expect from him every game now and does that Pavel Bure hovering close to the centre ice hoping to get a breakaway pass. The guy has no effort on the defensive side of things and is pretty much clueless at that part of the game. Do you completely disregard his pathetic play on defense and away from the puck?

A couple games back I made a point of watching him on one shift in the defensive zone just to see what is wrong with this guy, he went completely kiddie corner from his position on the wing where he is suppose to be marking the point-man, to a part of the defensive zone, Chris Higgins area, a place he had no reason for being there in the first place, leaving his point man totally unmarked. Of course the puck finds its way to the unmarked D-man cause of bonehead Booth's wanderings leaving Chris Higgins scrambling to his wrong side of the ice to make up for Booth's airheadedness to block the point-mans shot. It was comical to say the least.

I'm not even going to touch on the area where Booth completely goes blind when he has the puck, can't make a play to save his soul, and is completely lost at reading build ups in play at the offensive end of the ice.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Keslers BACK :) great game.. Schneider looking better as a Lou replacement.. Booth going to the dirty areas just fine . PP only real weak part of this game.. Team looks like it has finally come together, even if its against 2 weak opponents.. Lets hope AV gives Schneider a shot at the shutout record..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice