GDT: Nov 23: Canucks @ Colorado - 6:30pm - SPac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Nov 23: Canucks @ Colorado - 6:30pm - SPac

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hammer 25:27 +3
Bieksa 24:17 +3

Big part of Cory's shutout tonight.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Nice game, hope the empty net goal for Kesler is a start.

Another point to CH, good to see that.

Now the BIG question is who starts in net on the next game?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:I assume Bieksa has a no-trade clause, can anyone confirm that I am wrong?
A full NTC.
By request of 29 managers.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BCReefer wrote:Nice game, hope the empty net goal for Kesler is a start.

Another point to CH, good to see that.

Now the BIG question is who starts in net on the next game?
I hope AV would go with the hot hand.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Still baffled that Colorado traded away a potential lottery pick for an average goalie. Did they really think that roster was ready for some kind of playoff run?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Heard that Cory starts Friday and Luongo gets SJ
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Benjo wrote:Still baffled that Colorado traded away a potential lottery pick for an average goalie.
AFAIC, Gillis & co. can easily set the bar at a 1st and 2nd to rival GM's when Cory's name comes up in discussion. But let's face it, he's not going anywhere b/w now and March simply for draft picks.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Heard that Cory starts Friday and Luongo gets SJ
Thanks for the insight HW.

It makes perfect sense. Schneids is hot and a back-to-back is coming up.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Old Stick wrote:Who cares about first in the west? Hasn't Gallagher noticed how the President's Cup season ended?
You mean a trip to the final is a bad thing?
My thoughts exactly.

And not just a trip to the final, a full seven game final to boot.

People sound like the Nucks were awful in the playoffs.
They weren't. They were too beat up to go all the way, but they were just a few bad calls away from it....
Had the refs used the same rule book in the final as in the regular season we'd quite likely be champs.
Last edited by Per on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Two 5on5 goals and one empty netter.

That's pretty impressive (or lucky)

I didn't see the game. Recap anyone?
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

finaly some good 5 on 5 play even being down a Dman, scneider has been playing lights out the last 2 games. i think a bit of a goalie controversy gonna be good for the nucks. on a sidenote flame fan crying big time about their diving team in detroilet last night.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

BladesofSteel wrote:Hammer 25:27 +3

The second one of those guys was also a big part of Schneider almost not having a shut out. Brutal play on a 1-on-1 and 3 or 4 turnovers in his own zone because he was too casual with the puck. If it wasn't for Alberts, Bieksa would easily been the canucks worst D-man on the night. At least from what I was watching.

Generally though they played a good road game that had a dominant first 30 minutes for the canucks.
Two 5on5 goals and one empty netter.

That's pretty impressive (or lucky)

I didn't see the game. Recap anyone?
5-on-5 the canucks gave the Avs pretty much nothing. Most of the Avs chances were on the PP and in the third where Schneider came up huge. As you want your goaltender to do.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

tantalum wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote: Hammer 25:27 +3

The second one of those guys was also a big part of Schneider almost not having a shut out. Brutal play on a 1-on-1 and 3 or 4 turnovers in his own zone because he was too casual with the puck. If it wasn't for Alberts, Bieksa would easily been the canucks worst D-man on the night. At least from what I was watching.

Generally though they played a good road game that had a dominant first 30 minutes for the canucks.
As I mentioned before, Bieksa will always be Causal Kev unless it is a contract year. I just hope that the Canucks do not have to wait til 2015/16 to see the Bieksa from last year. :(
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Good road win. The offence still isn't clicking but the canucks mucked it up and got the 2-points.

-Schneider was the best player on either team. All things being equal the Canucks have gotten good goal tending this month. That will need to continue as the offence still isn't clicking. Schneider against Phoenix is the right call. he is rolling and we need to lock down the wins. They can roll the dice against the Sharks on Saturday as that game will be tough either way.

-It may just an an empty netter but it could be just what the doctor ordered for Kesler. People have been ripping him constantly but the only thing he isn't doing right now is finishing. He must have had a half dozen quality chances last night, last year a couple of those go in and most of us are raving about his game. Hopefully he relaxes a bit now and stops turning his stick into sawdust.

-Speaking of sticks, wtf is with Edlers. Someone should remind him that the cup final seemingly turned in Bostons favor when his stick exploded in game 2.

-Someone else should tell Bieksa not to take a nap.

-Andrew Alberts may not be a very good player, but he seems to be a very good penalty killer.

-Cody Hodgson with another solid game. Continues to be one of our better forwards on a nightly basis. That pass to Manny is the type of higher end offensive play that has been lacking from our bottom 3 lines who have predominantly been made up of north / south forwards. A guy with some creativity and higher end puck skill gives us a different look.

-Nice to see Manny get a goal and play a decent all round game. The other positive was that when he did an interview after the 2nd period his eye didn't look all fucked up like it did earlier in the season. He isn't out of the woods yet but today I'm a bit more optimistic that he can return to some level of competence.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

One of the few games this season that I've been able to sit down at home and watch the full 60 minutes without interruption.

A good, if not a bit greasy, road win. We were unlucky to not score more than one in the first, and lucky the Avs didn't score in the 3rd. All in all, it was a good effort and the type of effort that has been missing thus far.

The top line had an excellent game and were much better defensively. After a slow start, Burrows seems to be back on his game and has found his rightful spot with the twins. That was a nice, patient goal.

Kesler is one snake bitten scorer. He is playing very well, and appears to be back up to speed - except for when it comes to putting the puck in the net. I'm still not liking his long, low wrist shots from beyond the faceoff circle that are either easily saved by the goaltender or fired into a defender's shins, but his game is coming around. When he breaks out this team will finally wring off a few wins in a row. This weekend would be an excellent time to bump the slump RK17.

David Booth has looked dangerous on multiple occasions every time I have watched him play. He has had a number of clear looks that haven't resulted in goals. The goals will come and I'm confident he will find a role here. There is lots to like about this player including his work ethic, tenacity and those wheels are pretty good too. I'm still hoping his shot is as good as advertised as we haven't seen much evidence of it yet.

Hodgson and Hansen were excellent last night. The battled very well down low in the Avs zone and won many puck battles. Several times in the first period they were able to maintain pressure in the offensive zone with speed and closing gaps on defenders. If Hodgson didn't look so slow last year the thought wouldn't even cross my mind. Speed isn't an issue. Manny looked much more comfortable last night.

Kevin Bieksa WTF?

Tonight was the Canucks first win of the season without either Sedin recording a point.