GDT: Nov 16: Blah Caulks @ Us - 7pm - SPac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Nov 16: Blah Caulks @ Us - 7pm - SPac

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Potatoe1 wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
benivolent wrote: It's our 5-on-5 defense that's in the crapper.
This.

The Canucks are sitting 23rd overall in 5 on 5 for/against at a pretty pathetic 0.82

(Last year they finished 2nd best in the league with a rating of 1.32)
Some of this is can be explained by their soft coverage so far this year but a lot of it comes down to goal tending.

Schneider and Luongo have a combined save percentage of .899 this year while last year they were a combined .928. That is the difference between giving up 4 goals every 40 shots against this year while last year it was 3 goals every 40 shots.

Some of that is because of giving up odd man rushes like we did last night, but a lot of it is just bad goal tending.

As far as scoring is concerned almost all of the drop can be explained by Ryan Kesler who lit it up at even strength for the first half of last season.

Alot of their defensive problems also come down to their top 2 defensive centres have been out or no where near 100%
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

RE: Hodgson.

I think overall, he's been better than I expected.

As many young players do, he often struggles against good teams. Cody's strengths' play well when he's up against lesser opponents, but his weaknesses are more exposed when plays against better and faster players.

I'm not trying to make some sort of revelation.

He's a young player who is still developing, but he has a long way to go if he's going to be effective in a top 6 role come April.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

coco_canuck wrote:RE: Hodgson.

As many young players do, he often struggles against good teams. Cody's strengths' play well when he's up against lesser opponents, but his weaknesses are more exposed when plays against better and faster players.
He has 3 points in 4 career games against Chicago.

From a PPG stand point he is better against them then the majority of other teams.

Personally I think he was just a bit too comfortable after getting the first star in the previous game. I personally agreed with AV benching him as rookies need to bring their A game pretty much ever night and he did not bring it for the first period of that game.

He was however a lot better after the demotion and was correctly moved back up the line up.

And I agree he has a ways to go before becoming a legit top6 forward. That said he has made huge strides and there is no question he has the potential to be the 5th best forward on this team. If that happens this year or ever, is is obviously a big unknown, but given how he has played we are far better off giving him the chance versus a player we know for a fact will never get there.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote: Personally I think he was just a bit too comfortable after getting the first star in the previous game. I personally agreed with AV benching him as rookies need to bring their A game pretty much ever night and he did not bring it for the first period of that game.
RD won't be happy about Tony's latest shot at AV saying:

"You might start thinking a trade with Phoenix for Kyle Turris at this point, but young players and Vigneault don’t seem to mesh well, if Hodgson and Chris Tanev are any indication."

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canuc ... z1e6cDXndb

I have no problem with the way AV treats rookies or young players. He's been fine with Edler, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, and Raymond.

Cody has been getting over 13 minutes of ice-time per game and has a regular spot on the 2nd unit power play.

Tanev had a rough start to the year and management didn't want to lose Sulzer or Ebbett on waivers at the time and sent Tanev down instead.
Potatoe1 wrote: And I agree he has a ways to go before becoming a legit top6 forward. That said he has made huge strides and there is no question he has the potential to be the 5th best forward on this team. If that happens this year or ever, is is obviously a big unknown, but given how he has played we are far better off giving him the chance versus a player we know for a fact will never get there
It's almost always too early to write off players in their early 20's. Especially rookies.

I think he's going to have a NHL career, it's a matter of how good and how long it will be.

He could turn out to be a legit top 6 forwards or he could end up like Kyle Wellwood.

Either way, he's an asset with some potential and some upside. It's a matter of him being developed here or on another team if the right deal comes along.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

coco_canuck wrote:
I have no problem with the way AV treats rookies or young players. He's been fine with Edler, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, and Raymond.

Cody has been getting over 13 minutes of ice-time per game and has a regular spot on the 2nd unit power play.
I agree completely.

Guys like Hodgson are coming from leagues where they played hard in 2/3rd of their games and on 2/3rd of their shifts and still were the best players in their league.

It is so hard to make the NHL and especially on a good team, that they simply need to play their best almost ever night. Rookies should be demoted the second there is a drop in effort and if they respond correctly they should be moved back up.

Tony G is 100% wrong on this, AV was absolutely correct in how he handled things. Sure the 3rd line was a wreck with Weise in that spot but there is a bigger picture.
He could turn out to be a legit top 6 forwards or he could end up like Kyle Wellwood.
Or he could end up like like like Joe Pavelski who from a style stand point is the NHL player I think most similar to Cody. Coincidentally Pavalski had a 40 point rookie reason which is exactly Codys current trend (though Joe was a few years older and didn't sit on his ass with a back injury for a year).
Either way, he's an asset with some potential and some upside. It's a matter of him being developed here or on another team if the right deal comes along.

At this point I would think there is almost no chance Gillis is willing to trade Hodgson. That is unless it is a "thank you for the Stanley cup", type of deal.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Potatoe1 wrote:
At this point I would think there is almost no chance Gillis is willing to trade Hodgson. That is unless it is a "thank you for the Stanley cup", type of deal.
Pretty much. Exactly what are people expecting out of Cody Hodgson? There's been nights when he's our best player up front, no small task for a team of this depth and veteran caliber.
coco_canuck wrote:He's a young player who is still developing
Exactly.
but he has a long way to go if he's going to be effective in a top 6 role come April.
If this team is COUNTING on Hodgson to be one of our top 6 forwards come playoff time we might be in trouble... but he's exactly the kind of young (re:cheap) depth that is going to be counted on to play above his contract come playoff time.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote:I agree completely.
Well done.
I agree.
Agreed.
Imagine that.

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:I agree completely.
Well done.
I agree.
Agreed.
Imagine that.

:lol:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Then the flames kick their ass ....back to the lovefest
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

rats19 wrote:Then the flames kick their ass ....back to the lovefest
We certainly had the chances to put 2-3 in vs the Hawks before the score got bad. Overpassing or undershooting, take your choice.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote:
rats19 wrote:Then the flames kick their ass ....back to the lovefest
We certainly had the chances to put 2-3 in vs the Hawks before the score got bad. Overpassing or undershooting, take your choice.
Is Booth NOT suppose to be the answer to our 'undershooting'? Sort of like the Yin to the Sedinesque Yang?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

This should provide Bountiful with all the definitive proof they need that the Flames are way better than the Canucks.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Rumsfeld wrote:This should provide Bountiful with all the definitive proof they need that the Flames are way better than the Canucks.
I thought "1989" was all the proof Flames fan need.