GDT: Nov 16: Blah Caulks @ Us - 7pm - SPac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Nov 16: Blah Caulks @ Us - 7pm - SPac

Post by dhabums »

Tiger wrote:Sounds like the whining crew is out in full force on the board tonight .. nobody bitched about the Canucks getting most of the penalty breaks the last time these 2 teams played .. Agree with the comments of Blob.. would have liked to see Canucks resign Torres.. He brought energy and toughness that this years edition is sadly lacking.. Kessler/Burrows line isn't setting the world on fire.. Sedins ok but nothing from 3 other lines.. Sad that AV wasted 2 games with bad goaltending decisions.. Playing Luongo on b2 backs then putting in an ice cold Schneider this game..
When you finally learn how to spell Kesler Tigger, I'll start reading your entire post.

Ok, I admit I read your whole post. Funny to read your first sentence then read your last two.

Mod edit
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Tiger wrote: Sad that AV wasted 2 games with bad goaltending decisions.. Playing Luongo on b2 backs then putting in an ice cold Schneider this game..
Is this the excuse the Luongo haters are gonna pony out ? 5 goals on Ginger is the team's fault but if it was Luongo in nets he's a sieve, a drag on payroll, an anchor to the teams high flying hopes?
It seems to me that the problem lies less in goal and more about desire than anything else. Unless there is a turn around like last year and hopefully this game will be the turning point, the Canucks are going to be lucky to back into the playoffs and run straight into the Blacksnakes or Sharks and we all will be crying next year...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

There was no sketchy goaltending decision. There was no decision to even make. Luongo wasn't healthy enough to even sit on the bench hence the reason Lack was sitting in that spot dressed up in a canuck uniform. They played a strong first and were playing a strong second. Kesler took a stupid penalty that cost the team (he's also taking plenty of stupid shots that do not make it to the net). Burrows took a penalty likely saving a goal after a ill-timed pinch coupled with higgins forgetting to cover for the pinching D-man and Kesler no where to be found on the back check. After that it was downhill for the team. But my god was that Kesler line by and large terrible last night.

Kesler needs to start contributing in some manner 5-on-5. I don't expect him to be lights out for several more weeks but he is doing nothing. Actually he is doing something...killing the guys playing next to him on any given night. He needs to start contributing in some manner. Dump the puck in and skate. Stop taking the shot that never reaches the net. Heck, let someone else gain the zone and set something up because what he is doing is not working. Right now Kesler is the definition of insanity. Until that second line gets going the team will struggle..and that means Kesler needs to get going.

I understand AV demoting Hodgson after the shift he had, as it is the same thing he has done with guys like Raymond after similar shifts. However, after a couple of shifts with the new lines he had to have recognized that the 3rd and 4th lines were all of sudden non-factors, when before they were holding their own. Ah well the game wasn't lost with that demotion.

Can't help but think the team needs a wake up call...and AV going might be that wake up call.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

We took it 6-2 vs the Hawks the game before. I really didn't expect to win this one. Crawford was amazing, period. The Hawks are a top tier team, and we played decent but not good enough to beat them. I did miss Lu last night Schnieds is good but doesn't have the top gear of Lu, although he doesn't have his bottom gear as well either. What worries me the most is that the Nucks' don't put this effort they put tonight against other teams. This has to stop now. 500 hockey is bullshit for this club. I give it to mid December and unless things have changed, AV is gone. It's funny how Mactavish signed for our farm team, Gillis idea of depth in all areas. :sly:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

Did the Grizzly play on Tuesday night? Ice looked terrible, lots of bouncing pucks.

I'm glad I recorded the game, I now have a wonderful instructional video to teach my dog to roll over and play dead. As Tant noted, good first period and then the stupid Kesler penalty......

Kesler-Burrows-Higgins, probably the three best two way players on the team, suddenly back check like Todd Bertuzzi.

Silent 3's horrid defensive play was on full screen at full steam. That carry out in front of his own net and turn over at the red line was the camel that broke the straw. Prior to that, the one that stood out was Lappie and Boothy (sounds like a couple of cocker spaniels) were beaten deep on their forecheck and Cody made an ill timed gamble on the 'hawks breakout resulting on an odd man rush a good chance for Stalberg. There were several more.

The problem for AV was that once he demoted Cody, the rest of the team took to playing the same game. Manny and Cody play like magnets, the way they crowd each other is repelling. The speed of the cocker spaniels at least allows for separation from the kid.

Tough night for the defenders when the forwards don't rotate on pinches and don't back check.

Schneider did not have a good game either, but he also faced far too many odd man rushes.

Top line had a top line performance. Bury a couple of more chance in the first and the 'Hawks would have been playing catch up. The only line that got going on the fore check.

Another fine rolling puck call by senile John Garratt. Listen for it, every unsuccessful Canuck breakaway, rolling puck. Hansen last night, Cody a few games ago, look at the replay, puck was flat on the ice. To make it worse, he does the opposite when opponents have a break away. Listen for our goalies being beat because they can't pick up the rolling puck off the shooters stick, look at the replay, puck is flat. It has become a stack phrase he just rolls out without looking.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

5 on 5 play has been crap compared to last year. lazy hockey and waiting around for a pp is not going to cut it . the reffing last night is the same crap that the team is going to see in the playoffs if they make it. once the hawks were up 3-1 they started to trap and thats the kiss of death to vignaults system. something aint right inside the room and it is starting to stink.
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Can we fire AV soon?

Pretty soon we will be able to put down Booth as a bust and MG got taken on that deal. How many more years at over $4M, yikes :wow:

No more time for excuses and time for this team to wake the fuck up and come out playing their game. It is disgusting seeing how this team comes out game after game, sometimes they show up sometimes everything that can go wrong does.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

tantalum wrote:Kesler needs to start contributing in some manner 5-on-5. I don't expect him to be lights out for several more weeks but he is doing nothing. Actually he is doing something...killing the guys playing next to him on any given night.
The catamaran line.

Last edited by dbr on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I am of the opinion that Kesler is the clear MVP on this team. He is the engine that drives the team - emotionally, physically, defensively, special teams and he takes offensive pressure off the Sedins. He is even more effective when Malhotra is healthy and can take alot of defensive assignments off Kesler's plate.

A healthy Kesler led last year's team to a President' Trophy and to the Stanley Cup Final. He might have been the best player in the world (pop. 7 billion) during the Nashville series

An unhealthy or injured Kesler has equalled a Stanley Cup finals loss, a 9-9-1 start and Vigneault amazingly lost his ability to coach...

I normally rail against such basic concepts to explain a complicated game, but this is at the base of what I'm seeing.

The question I see here is has Kesler's skills eroded or is he still injured/rusty. It appears the answer you lean towards is most likely impacted by your level of frustration with the team.
benivolent
CC Rookie

Post by benivolent »

Wow, you just never know which team is going to show up night to night. Flip a coin.

Seems to be concern about scoring on the various boards right now. Also of note is that there are only 3 teams that have scored more than us up to this point:

Chicago 67
Philadelphia 65
Pittsburgh 57
( and Washington tied with us at 56.)

PP vs. ES? 23 of our goals have been on the power-play. So it's not that we can't score in 5-on-5 play.

It's not that we can't score, it's that we can't seem to score in particular games.

But more importantly, our goals against this year is atrocious. There are only 6 teams that have given up more goals against - and their goal tending is akin to an event horizon at the blue line.
Winnipeg 60
Toronto 61
Colorado 60
Columbus 64
Ottawa 66
Carolina 67

Why are we so terrible defensively? Our PK is 84% which is not "bad" (middle of the pack) - and have only let in 12 PPG against.

It's our 5-on-5 defense that's in the crapper. How do we go from winning the Jennings to this? Could it be all the line juggling that we've seen? Are players just not able to pick up on team mates' coverage/moves/habits because of it? SC finals hangover? Or are the boys just going through the motions waiting for the Playoffs to start again?

If that's the case I hope that they fix the issue soon, and pull heads out of tails soon. because as much as AV get slagged he's pretty decent, and it'll cost the coach his job in the end. Then there's that line about the devil you know vs. the one you don't... somehow that seems appropriate.
Last edited by benivolent on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

benivolent wrote: It's our 5-on-5 defense that's in the crapper.
This.

The Canucks are sitting 23rd overall in 5 on 5 for/against at a pretty pathetic 0.82

(Last year they finished 2nd best in the league with a rating of 1.32)
benivolent
CC Rookie

Post by benivolent »

KeyserSoze wrote:
This.

The Canucks are sitting 23rd overall in 5 on 5 for/against at a pretty pathetic 0.82

Exactly. Which is odd because I seem to recall that AV is actually a pretty decent defensive system coach, yes?
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Exactly !! 5-5 they have been awful and it runs from the top to the bottom of the lineup.
ES this year Last Year

Daniel Sedin: 2 23
Henrik Sedin 3 11
Alex Burrows 3 25
Ryan Kesler 0 26
Chris Higgins 5 1
Jannick Hansen 5 9
Cody Hodgson 3
Max Lapierre 3 1
David Booth 1 (en)
Manny Malhotra 0 8
Alex Edler 1 3
Kevin Bieksa 0 5
Dan Hamhuis 1 4
Aaron Rome 2 1

Christian Erhoff 8 M Samuelson 13
M Raymond 13

Not only have they not scored they are being out scored badly. When the top 2 lines are not scoring 5-5 and then bottom 2 and especially Malhotra's line are being scored on in buckets they arre not going to win.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

KeyserSoze wrote:
This.

Some of this is can be explained by their soft coverage so far this year but a lot of it comes down to goal tending.

Schneider and Luongo have a combined save percentage of .899 this year while last year they were a combined .928. That is the difference between giving up 4 goals every 40 shots against this year while last year it was 3 goals every 40 shots.

Some of that is because of giving up odd man rushes like we did last night, but a lot of it is just bad goal tending.

As far as scoring is concerned almost all of the drop can be explained by Ryan Kesler who lit it up at even strength for the first half of last season.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

The Officiating SUCKED BALLS but only contributed to the loss rather than being the sole reason for it. Unfortunately there were other reasons for the loss as well. However, that penalty with 2 seconds to go ... should follow over to the next game the Hawks play. I would support that as a rule change.

All you Ballard haters (I'm neutral) got your wish. Not the injury of course but rather a Ballard-free Blueline.

Topper, you were just starting to come around with Cody. I'm sure you'll say Cody was just starting to come around. He he. In any case, I think we can expect a learning curve with him no? A great investment given time IMO.

Raymond is getting closer. Oh wait, that upsets a bunch of you too doesn't it? Regardless it gives the team more options. His speed kills, I do appreciate that about him. I know he can't hit the broadside of a barn though and is shall we say she's not much of a man's man? :)