Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by KeyserSoze »

KeyserSoze wrote: EDIT - speaking of Ensemble, Dale Mackay is opening a new pub downtown this December...

The concept sounds like a BBQ and beer-heavy pub that will serve the kind of fare that you’d normally associate with the milieu (nachos, burgers, bangers, pot pies, etc) only elevated to a level where just about everything is made in house from scratch and by hand. It’ll be sports heavy, too, with some fifteen 45″ flat screen TVs. Helming the kitchen will be chef de cuisine Bradley Hendrickson (now at Ensemble), with former DB Bistro sous chefs Alex Amos (recently Mission Hill) and Greg Reid (recently Quail’s Gate) in support. There will be a 40 foot bar of reclaimed wood to tend, and another 80 seats in an expansive dining room (with mezzanine). Running the show will be current Ensemble barman Christopher Cho, with operations back-up from the lovely and talented Ali Maher, formerly the maitre’d at DB Bistro.
Officially named "Tap", it will be opening around the first week of December at 990 Smithe Street (the old Azia location).

Hello new best place to watch a Canucks game :D
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Wife and I are coming to the big smoke next week and we've got a couple of special occasions to celebrate.

Thinking Hawksworth's, Cru, Ensemble, The Keg, West, Diva

Suggestions, recommendations, haven't spent much time in town for quite a while.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Cioppino's (smile)
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

The keg? Why not just hit the foot court at metro town. And yes, I realize this is not helpful. :roll:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Corb wrote:The keg? Why not just hit the foot court at metro town.
The Nando's there is awesome.

Nothing more romantic than staring into your sweetie's eyes and dabbing hot sauce off her face with a wet-nap.
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

I'll never forget dining at the Mr. Mike's on 70th and Granville.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hank wrote:
Corb wrote:The keg? Why not just hit the foot court at metro town.
The Nando's there is awesome.
I quite like those Japanese places where they fry up some meat, chicken, and veggies right in front of you. Kind of makes me a bit pissed about the time I spent 100$ to eat at Kobe (although the girl I met in the lounge made it somewhat worth the money).

Anyway we should include favorite cheap eats in this thread as well IMO.

There is a fucking amazing sandwich place in Coquitlam on Austin ave. called Soup Plus.

The guy who owns the place reminds me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, and his wife is a total cow as well. That said he makes the best fricken 7$ soup sandwich combo I have ever had. He bakes his own bread that he refuses to sell, and if you ask to buy the bread dickface tells you each loaf is 20$ because he can make 4 sandwiches from every loaf.

I have a friend who drives there from Langley just to eat there.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Rayxor wrote:I'll never forget dining at the Mr. Mike's on 70th and Granville.
A friend of mine owns the Mr. Mikes in Langley. I was out that way a few months back and went in for a drink.

They had a steak sandwich + Beer special on for 11$ so I figured I may as well try it. To be honest he steak wasn't much worse then what I had paid 30$ for at the Keg a few months prior.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Potatoe1 wrote:
I quite like those Japanese places where they fry up some meat, chicken, and veggies right in front of you. Kind of makes me a bit pissed about the time I spent 100$ to eat at Kobe (although the girl I met in the lounge made it somewhat worth the money).

Anyway we should include favorite cheap eats in this thread as well IMO.

There is a fucking amazing sandwich place in Coquitlam on Austin ave. called Soup Plus.

The guy who owns the place reminds me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, and his wife is a total cow as well. That said he makes the best fricken 7$ soup sandwich combo I have ever had. He bakes his own bread that he refuses to sell, and if you ask to buy the bread dickface tells you each loaf is 20$ because he can make 4 sandwiches from every loaf.

I have a friend who drives there from Langley just to eat there.
Yup, food court fare isn't all bad. It's not like you bring a date there so you can get laid.

The Japanese Teppanyaki style is pretty healthy for eating out. I laugh at the time I spent $75 for a similar experience in a "posh" Richmond Hotel. While the Japanese chef was mildly entertaining as he cooked the food, the portion was so small it's like I didn't even eat. You can watch someone juggle utensils on the streets for free.

Agree, it's a civic duty for anyone living in Greater VanCity to report the finest cheap eats around town.

If the food is killer and is good value, I'll put up with dickfaced cows, bad attitude, shitty service, lousy ambience and even mild food poisoning.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

The Epicurean Deli in kits is very good for the bucks.

I think I'll try that sandwich place in coquitlam Pot, just to tell the guy to go fuck himself for not selling me some bread :lol:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Rayxor wrote:I'll never forget dining at the Mr. Mike's on 70th and Granville.
LOL! Mr. Mike's $5 steaks @ Kingsgate Mall when I was a kid.

Urban legend was that they served meat from horses that were put down at Hastings Park.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hank wrote: If the food is killer and is good value, I'll put up with dickfaced cows, bad attitude, shitty service, lousy ambience and even mild food poisoning.
Just so long as they don't garnish my beer with any OHL-level lemon wedges.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Old Stick
AHL Prospect

Post by Old Stick »

Topper wrote:Wife and I are coming to the big smoke next week and we've got a couple of special occasions to celebrate.

Thinking Hawksworth's, Cru, Ensemble, The Keg, West, Diva

Suggestions, recommendations, haven't spent much time in town for quite a while.
http://www.chambar.com/
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I've been wondering about Hawksworth's myself.... any first hand accounts to report?

The Belgian beer selection at Chambar is astonishing. Not cheap, not at all, but wow. I didn't see a list like that IN Belgium.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Puck wrote:
The Belgian beer selection at Chambar is astonishing. Not cheap, not at all, but wow. I didn't see a list like that IN Belgium.
Yeah too bad I can never get a reservation on game nights.

Speaking of which, going to the game tonight anyone have a recommendation on where to go prior (must be walking distance)?
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.