GDT: Canucks @ Ducks Of Mighty, 7:30PST RSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Ducks Of Mighty, 7:30PST RSN

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hank needs to shoot that thing on the 2-on-1. There was no pass there.

Rome conquers a Gaul.

Well, that's that. We're looking at being a .500 hockey team 17 games in. And we haven't even caught the injury bug yet. Not good.

The Sedins have been invisible tonight.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Well they just don't have it tonight. Outta sync it seems so 4 goal lead will easily stick. Especially against a team that needs a win, playing at home, and just coming off a team meeting.
So much for the Rome advantage. The irony is that AV will likely reward him with more minutes next game to make up for the time he's missed.
Fucking .500 hockey is bs. I'm going to bed.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I hate games like this..unless we come back then I love them..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

This game would have been so much different if they had capitalized on all of the Ducks turnovers in the first.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

newcanuckfan wrote:Well they just don't have it tonight. Outta sync it seems so 4 goal lead will easily stick. Especially against a team that needs a win, playing at home, and just coming off a team meeting.
So much for the Rome advantage. The irony is that AV will likely reward him with more minutes next game to make up for the time he's missed.Fucking .500 hockey is bs. I'm going to bed.
Yep, unless Shanny does the Canucks a favor... pathetic...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

newcanuckfan wrote:Well they just don't have it tonight. Outta sync it seems so 4 goal lead will easily stick. Especially against a team that needs a win, playing at home, and just coming off a team meeting.
So much for the Rome advantage. The irony is that AV will likely reward him with more minutes next game to make up for the time he's missed.
Fucking .500 hockey is bs. I'm going to bed.
Old canuck fans watch the whole game...lol
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Teases.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Rumsfeld wrote:Teases.
Better to be teased and lose.....than never be teased at all.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

I hate games like this..unless we come back then I love them..
I liked that third period. The other two sucked.

Perry should be suspended for that crap. What a jerk. If that's not intent to injure ... what the fuck is?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Well there ya have it. This team lives for the 3rd period. The first is for testing the waters, the 2nd is for resting, and the 3rd is for showing everyone that they actually COULD be far and away the best team in the league and go nearly undefeated (sans Luongo of course). Of course they don't play at 100% intensity for even 40 minutes, so it's really a moot point.

This one gets hung on the whole team (other than Schneider who was a brilliant 0.00GAA and 1.000SV% :P ). No desire during the 2nd period killed them.

Goats? 2 stand out.

Rome. Terrible. Mistakes, bad passes, turnovers, and then a late hit that was not just elbowing but charging too. The 5 min major killed us. I don't care about his 2 goals in 2 games, I hope he gets suspended because he is useless.

For fuck sakes Lou, you have to have at least oneof those! Obviously he gets a pass on the first one, Booth is on the hook for that brutal pass. The second one was classic Lou on his belly, if the guy would just once go butterfly and let his momentum carry him backwards while staying up on his knees instead of on his belly he would make some tough saves look routine. He was again dropping to his belly a few minutes later when Perry scored, and not to cover the puck because his glove hand was going up to make the save. The 4th marker is questionable, I'm not sure it hit Salo's stick, but it was right over the shoulder and barely made the corner. Still, Lou can get those if he isn't going down so early.

With the way the team played after Schneider went in, you can see a difference. Sure they were more desperate, and yes they are a third period team, but there was no hesitation, no hanging back, and no worrying about the puck going the other way. I'm probably over-reaching here and reading too much into it, but to me I see a team that feels safe to go balls out with Schneider in net, but is not confident enough in Luongo to take a chance. Vigneault should have given him the hook after the 3rd one just because he was so bad on the 2nd.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I just saw the hit by Rome

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... hl-wp17248

FUCK. Why does Aaron Rome have to go and fuck things up for himself and his team??? From HERO to ZERO....

No excuse and the Canucks pay for his stupidity.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Not that I want to make excuses for Rome but for those of us who have said we want more asshole in the mix (hands up) Rome has that edge to his game. Often stupid and crazy, but sometimes inspired.
Unfortunately, as a repeat offender whom everyone remembers from the final, Hangman Shanahan will have carte blanche
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Corey Perry has the head of a 12 year old boy on the body of man.
Weird
If you need air...call it in
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

COmments:

This game was a perfect illustration of the Canucks season to date.

First period: intitial pressure though not consistent against a goaltender who looked shakey to begin with. PP looked casual and indifferent.

Second period: Canucks pretty much stopped skating and let the Ducks come to them. Sonner or later the PK is going to fail and it did.
Rome's penalty gave the Duck's top players all the opportunity they needed to get into the game. Had Rome kept his elbow down this is probably not a penalty.

Third : The Canucks in danger of being embarassed (again) finally woke up and played with some urgency and intensity. They totally dominated the Ducks in all aspects of the game and showed what kind of team they can be when they get down to work.

Luongo: The "belly flop" is something new in his repitoire this year. Is this a Rollie change or something RL has come up with on his own? That was a goal that was preventable if he had come out with his stick and stayed upright. Horrible play on Luo's part.

ALex Edler despite leading the league in points by a D man is frrustrating to watch on the PP. Sami needs to do some tutorng and show Aleex how to position himself before the puck comes to him.

Henrik and Daniel are overpassing trying for the perfect play. Shoot the F'ing puck. Hansen has looked good with the Twins and his effort has certainly been much better than earlier.

The Second really misses Mason Raymond IMO. Booth may be bigger but his puck skills are no where near Raymond's. Kesler is starting to look like the old Kes. Higgins has gone dry in the scoring dep't but he is consistently one of the hardest workers on the team.

Cory Perry: the slash on Ballard is IMHO is just as serious as the Rome hit.It should be reviewed as well. I missed the slash/spear on Henrik. Good on Ballard for taking it to Perry who is usually one who runs from fisticuffs. I guess he thought that he could handle the smaller Ballard. Wrong !!!
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Mëds wrote: Rome. Terrible. Mistakes, bad passes, turnovers, and then a late hit that was not just elbowing but charging too. The 5 min major killed us. I don't care about his 2 goals in 2 games, I hope he gets suspended because he is useless.
Adrenaline wore off.
Booth is on the hook for that brutal pass.
I agree Booth had the initial give away but the canucks were not in trouble at that point. Hamhuis had possession and plenty of time to make the correct play. He didn't. Instead of going up the empty boards he tried to reverse the puck for Bieksa who I think was caught by surprise and didn't have a chance to get to the puck as the pass was soft and not good. That was on Hamhuis IMO. Rarely do we say that but he did make the mistake.
The second one was classic Lou on his belly, if the guy would just once go butterfly and let his momentum carry him backwards while staying up on his knees instead of on his belly he would make some tough saves look routine.
I know some will excuse it as Cogliano was behind the defense but you know the goaltender hasn't played it the correct way when he doesn't even come close to the post. He didn't even make Cogliano make any sort of shot, the puck could have been easily slid along the ice into the gaping net. While he may not have made the save anyways, Luongo looked absolutely terrible on that goal. THat would have been a good one to save for obvious reasons.
He was again dropping to his belly a few minutes later when Perry scored, and not to cover the puck because his glove hand was going up to make the save.
I think in this case he's just trying to get as close as possible to the puck so Perry can't get it over him. Not much fault can be put on Luongo. Hamhuis, however, left Perry alone and let Perry whack at it instead of putting Perry on his ass. It wasn't a good night for the guy who has been Mr. Reliable on the blueline since he became a canuck.
The 4th marker is questionable, I'm not sure it hit Salo's stick, but it was right over the shoulder and barely made the corner. Still, Lou can get those if he isn't going down so early.
It was a bad goal. Luongo doesn't go down so early it doesn't go in. He had given up at that point and that's what is most frustrating. And no I don't think the team had given up in front of him. They made a couple of mistakes on a long PK for the second and third goals (with no big save which on a 5 minute kill is definitely needed), but no mistake was really made on the 4th goal which should have led to a goal. No two ways about it, he had a bad game. And honestly, I know people are going to say the rest of the team didn't paly well and they are correct, but the rest of the team played two strong games in a row giving Luongo not easy nights but they spotted him big leads and kept things to the perimeter. This was a game they likely needed the goaltender to step up and make a couple more big saves (back to back games and all that).
With the way the team played after Schneider went in, you can see a difference. Sure they were more desperate, and yes they are a third period team, but there was no hesitation, no hanging back, and no worrying about the puck going the other way. I'm probably over-reaching here and reading too much into it, but to me I see a team that feels safe to go balls out with Schneider in net, but is not confident enough in Luongo to take a chance. Vigneault should have given him the hook after the 3rd one just because he was so bad on the 2nd.
I put no stock in comebacks that fall short when the team coming back is down by 4 goals and the opposition is in cruise control. It's why I shook my head at FLames fans so many times the last two years when they would get excited about the Flames "push back" in the third or late in the thrid when down by 3 or so goals. That isn't push back, it's the other team shutting it down for the night.