Nov 6 - Canucks at Blackhawks - 4:00 PM - SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Nov 6 - Canucks at Blackhawks - 4:00 PM - SNET

Post by griz »

This was a sweet game to watch.

Poetic justice.

Great to see Rome back for these types of games. Heck, Alberts is coming 'round too.

A nice couple of quiet assists for Cody H.

Glad to see Booth score.

Luongo was a battler tonight and fought through the crowd. I've been critical of him, and he made some early mistakes, but good on him tonight.

I loved how the two Dans scored on the power play after they drew their penalties with their own blood.

Wicked power play tonight.

I'm happy.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Alternatively outside of a brain fart by Luongo it was 1-1 5-on-5 and they went 0 for 5 on the PP. They lost because they were not the best team on the night. And it wasn't even close.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Lancer wrote:Van PP - 5/6... I loved how the homers on WGN were saying how, if you take away the PP goals, it would be 2-1 Hawks. Thing is, they have a point.
That has to be the single dumbest thing I've read all day, and I leafed through the Province this morning.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

dhabums wrote:That has to be the single dumbest thing I've read all day, and I leafed through the Province this morning.
Lancer wrote:Van PP - 5/6... I loved how the homers on WGN were saying how, if you take away the PP goals, it would be 2-1 Hawks. Thing is, they have a point.
What's dumb, the assertion by the WGN homers, or my concern that the Canucks still aren't firing on all cylinders 5-on-5? Powerplays can go cold, and look what happened in the SCF finals. The problem I see is that for other teams, it's not that bad a problem if their powerplay goes cold but when you look at where the Canucks are getting their goals, if their PP goes cold they're likely hooped.

Like I said, I'd rather the Canucks earn more wins 5-on-5 than living and dying on their powerplay.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

PP and PK inching closer to the top. That is a great sign. I love it in games like this when we own the PP and close out a team that way. Make em pay for being undisciplined. 5-5 scoring will come. After two nasty loses on this road trip we now have a chance to make it a pretty good road trip. A sweep in California and all is good again.
The only HW the Canucks need
BCReefer
CC Veteran

Post by BCReefer »

Can we bottle what ever they did tonight and keep it for the nights when they decide not to show up?

Best game of the year except for Luongo 1 brain fart.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

That felt really good. Nothing like winning in Chicago. The only thing that would have made that more satisfying is if somebody wiped that smirk of Bolland's face.

Lou really made up for the first period softie, which was good to see. The second goal against was a bit smelly too, but he made some big saves and kept it to only two goals against. Good on him.

Cody Hodgson with a nice OHL level pass to Booth on the game's first goal. Hodgson looked good again tonight.

Ryan Kesler is not up to speed yet and appears to be struggling. He is still contributing though, and I think the offense will come around before too long. We haven't seen that heavy shot from last year at all.

Henrik had the quietest four point night I can recall.

Special teams are really coming together, which bodes well for November. Hopefully we can get 3 or 4 more points in Cali so we can call this road trip a success.

Great atmosphere at the United Center tonight. I hate them, but the Chcago fans are good and loud.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

herb wrote: Cody Hodgson with a nice OHL level pass to Booth on the game's first goal. Hodgson looked good again tonight.
That was AHL level.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Lancer wrote:
dhabums wrote:That has to be the single dumbest thing I've read all day, and I leafed through the Province this morning.
What's dumb, the assertion by the WGN homers, or my concern that the Canucks still aren't firing on all cylinders 5-on-5? Powerplays can go cold, and look what happened in the SCF finals. The problem I see is that for other teams, it's not that bad a problem if their powerplay goes cold but when you look at where the Canucks are getting their goals, if their PP goes cold they're likely hooped.

Like I said, I'd rather the Canucks earn more wins 5-on-5 than living and dying on their powerplay.

I am amused by the WGN crew and baffled by your assertion. You can't simply erase a part of a game.

You word it nicely though, "earning 5 on 5 wins" as opposed to "living and dying on the PP". I suggest you look at our 5 on 5 goals over the last couple of years. Even this year which we've been completely sub par we are top 10 although we have a extra game or 2 played. The effectiveness of our PP might make our ES seem less effective, but it really isn't.

PP, ES, SH: none would have mattered with Thomas stopping everything.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Boy, Canucks seem to play like dogs vs weaker teams like wild, but play like champs vs Hawks/Caps. It's good to know we can beat the stronger teams I guess. :P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Caught the last 30 minutes, the Hawk's didn't look all that good.

Outside of Kane, Hossa, and Toews, they looked alot like Calgary did the other night. Some of that was because we out-skated them and drew so many penalties. I just didn't feel like they were a threat in a game where we clearly had found something that has been missing in the last couple.

Luongo was solid. The first goal, which I only saw highlights of, made me cringe, and I'm sure there were a good number of fans out there that were throwing in the towel on Lou at that point. Herb said that the second goal was "a bit smelly", I hope he means the fact that it was a dirty goal from a plumber who crashed the net knocked the goalie. It was an interference penalty, but it wasn't Luongo's fault. He faced 20 shots in that period and only gave up 1. 38 of 40 is pretty good in anyone's books.

Maybe we finally have a game that we will look back on and say, "Remember, remember, the sixth of November....."

Hansen is great on the back-check, great in our end, disruptive on the fore-check, and just has all-round hustle. He can skate, he can pass, he can even carry the puck, but if you ask him to receive a pass, bury a chance after making a move to the net, or get off a decent shot, it's all over. Always "bounces", goes "off the heel of his stick", "just got away from him", "misses the net"......so frustrating.

Booth. Finally. Maybe he's gonna get going now.....he sure looked relieved when that went in. Great second effort on the rebound too, no panic, didn't rush a shot into the pads, straight upstairs.

I can't stand Rome. He scored. I still can't stand him.

Lapierre with another good game. Ended up with 15:00 minutes to Malhotra's 12:00. Thankfully. Getting tired of hearing about how Malhotra is still 4th in the league at faceoffs won but every other time his name is mentioned it's for a turnover or a dump-in.....meh.

Good game. Good bounce back. Now for some consistency.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:Maybe we finally have a game that we will look back on and say, "Remember, remember, the sixth of November....."
aka Gustav Adolf day... :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Boy, Canucks seem to play like dogs vs weaker teams like wild, but play like champs vs Hawks/Caps. It's good to know we can beat the stronger teams I guess. :P
And the good news is that the weaker teams will not make the playoffs! :D
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

So it seems they were headed in the right direction after the loss to the Blues (as Henrik said in his post-game that night!).

We could say it's coincidence, but Henrik and the rest of the 'leadership group" do seem to have a very strong sense of the team's identity. I mean, it makes sense they should, but it's nice to think the locker room is truly on the same page.

Anyway...great to see the special teams working so well. This is critical for more than just the game results last night, since I'm thinking it points to an overall return to the discipline and focus they had for much of last season.

The D....well....let's just say Roberto kept them in it in the second period. While I was watching it felt like the Hawks had a lot of chances, but then when you look at the Ice Tracker on the nhl site, the down low shots and chances the Hawks had were downright scary.

Speaking of the D - Bieksa kept his head above water this game, so hopefully he's finally getting his land legs.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;

The 'Hawk defence is devastated. Montador and O'Donnell are not Campbell and Keith. With those two gone (Campbell by trade, Keith by injury), there is no mobility or passing left on the defence. The lack of mobility was especially noticeable on their PK. The Blackhawk's forwards speed and transition game is neutered by the the the inept defence.

Nice pass by Cody on Booth's goal. You folks did notice who he beat with that pass? Great play by Booth to separate himself from Bolland and get two good shots.

Amazing what happens when you put shots on net instead of three feet wide hoping for a tip back into the net.

Luongo, belched and farted but Lady Luck kept it from getting stinky.

Rome, the goat on a couple of the poor officiating calls (bad calls were both ways) so his goal was a sweetener.

Edler and Hanhuis are separating themselves from the rest of the Canuck defending class. Saw both the great and the terrible in Ballard's game, but more good than bad. Hopefully warm knuckles will get the synapses firing in KB3's head.

Did Carcillo get ten for his comments in August?

So you want to substitute toughness for speed, have a good look at the Blackhawks last night.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.