Will these Canucks have a bad season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Are the Canucks going to have a bad season?

Yes, objectively bad (miss playoffs or barely make it).
10%
Yes, but only compared to last season (win the division but possibly come 5th in the conference).
32%
Maybe, I don't know.
6%
No, they will win the conference and contend for the President's Trophy.
13%
No, but they will not come close to reaching last season's heights.
23%
Null vote, its too early to know.
16%

Total votes: 31

Fred
CC Legend

Re: Will these Canucks have a bad season?

Post by Fred »

You can only judge on the volume of work, and then hope :lol:
cheers
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

In the last few days I have read somewhere that there is concern over the "win two lose one disease" I think thats a valid concern. So far the teams biggest problem seems to be a lack of emotion and desire. It seems like the core of the team is waiting for someone else t do something big to magically win games. Until there is a sense of urgency inconsistency will flourish.
I think its going to be difficult to predict what the season will turn out to be like. However once again, where they finish is not nearly as important as how they do in the post season. Only a return to the final will be good enough for most Canuck fans.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ukcanuck wrote:Only a return to the final will be good enough for most Canuck fans.
Winning 16 playoff games will be good enough.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

dhabums wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Only a return to the final will be good enough for most Canuck fans.
Oh stop looking at the big picture already, what are we going to do with Bieksa!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Corb wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Oh stop looking at the big picture already, what are we going to do with Bieksa!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
That's easy, watch him on the ice for 20 minutes a night playing his way out of his slump. I predict he'll come out of it in his contract year.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote: My prediction (I'm aware its worth nothing), I make one every year and usually they have been bang on btw is for a 4th or 5th place finish. With us possibly wrestling the division title from the Oilers or Avalanche down the stretch.
Ummm we like TOTALLY had a prediction thread in the off-season dood... and you like TOTALLY missed it. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mondi wrote:This is not a thread about panic. I have come to view this team as a constant work in progress and as yet I am not overly concerned with the results.
Hear hear!
My prediction (I'm aware its worth nothing), I make one every year and usually they have been bang on btw is for a 4th or 5th place finish. With us possibly wrestling the division title from the Oilers or Avalanche down the stretch.
The part of your prediction I disagree with is wrestling the division away. This Avalanche team has faded massively before after an insanely strong start - were they not leading the league last year before Christmas and still ended up with a lottery pick?

Edmonton is getting goaltending for once, but I can't see that continuing with a 38 year old (39 in Jan) goalie who has made the playoffs once in 6 years and has major injury issues. Edmonton is striving for the Blackhawks model, but there is no way Hall, Eberle, RNH can compare to Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith. Plus, Chicago had a 40 win season and just missed the playoffs before they broke through. Same with Pittsburgh - went from bottom-feeder, to first-round exit, to finals. Edmonton has a long ways to go to follow those teams' footsteps. Much like Colorado in the first half of last year, the entire Oilers team is over-achieving, which is not going to get you far in an 82 game season.

When the Canucks had their bad stretch last February-March where they went win 1, lose 1 for 10 games, I thought if the team is playing their worst, plus they're getting bad bounces and key players aren't rolling, but still manages a .500 record, you're going to be okay.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

ukcanuck wrote:In the last few days I have read somewhere that there is concern over the "win two lose one disease" I think thats a valid concern.

Valid, yes. Concern?...no.

Win two, lose one "disease"... Winds up leading to 112 points in the regular season. ( and that's not even counting OT/SO loser points)

Oh... And it also leads to a Stanley Cup... With each round being won handily by a series score of 4-1.

Hope ALL the boys get that disease.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Actually, judging from the comments this past summer, reaching the final is not good enough for most Canucks fans! :lol:

Winning the presiden's trophy and then losing in game seven of the Stanley Cup finals is considered utter failure and proof that this team lacks skill, backbone, leadership and whatnot.

But I think most people have come to accept the Sedins as legitimate first liners by now, right? :eh:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sticky wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:In the last few days I have read somewhere that there is concern over the "win two lose one disease" I think thats a valid concern.

Valid, yes. Concern?...no.

Win two, lose one "disease"... Winds up leading to 112 points in the regular season. ( and that's not even counting OT/SO loser points)

Oh... And it also leads to a Stanley Cup... With each round being won handily by a series score of 4-1.

Hope ALL the boys get that disease.
Actually, in the playoffs I'd say they win the first series 4-1 (2W 1L 2W) and the rest 4-2 (1L 2W 1L 2W).

But other than that - good analysis of the dreaded win two lose one disease! :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Ropesauce
CC Rookie

Post by Ropesauce »

I think the Canucks will have a good season,as long as they make the playoffs and get past the 1st or 2nd round then that hits my definition of a good season from the Canucks.
However,I'm hoping for a great season which means another SCF appearance.

IF Booth,Maholtra,Hansen,Silent g,Bieksa & Ballard get into true form by x-mas then this team could easily repeat last seasons #'s.
ESQ wrote: Edmonton is getting goaltending for once, but I can't see that continuing with a 38 year old (39 in Jan) goalie who has made the playoffs once in 6 years and has major injury issues. Edmonton is striving for the Blackhawks model, but there is no way Hall, Eberle, RNH can compare to Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith.
Wasn't Khabibulen a hawk when they started to emerge :shock: ,agree with you on the Edm/Chi. comparison,that oiler group of Hall,Eberle & RNH is fun too watch most nights and could have a huge year.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
Actually, judging from the comments this past summer, reaching the final is not good enough for most Canucks fans! :lol:

Winning the president's trophy and then losing in game seven of the Stanley Cup finals is considered utter failure and proof that this team lacks skill, backbone, leadership and whatnot.

But I think most people have come to accept the Sedins as legitimate first liners by now, right? :eh:
I am thinking the sort of fan you describe, the kind that see's everything in absolutes would not want to concede the sisters were any good even the day after their induction into the Hall...

you can't win with some people :sly: