GDT: Nov 4: Canucks v. World Series Champs- 5pm - SNet(Pac)

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Nov 4: Canucks v. World Series Champs- 5pm - SNet(P

Post by Topper »

Oh yes, the last two Art Ross Trophy winners should be playing second fiddle in as supporting cast to the coddled rookie.

How far are you going to stretch Cody's security blanket?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:Oh yes, the last two Art Ross Trophy winners should be playing second fiddle in as supporting cast to the coddled rookie.

Since when does Hodgson have to create for the Sedins?

Personally, I haven't seen anything to indicate Hodgson isn't ready for an NHL roster spot. He needs to get tougher on his skates, needs to make better reads and his defensive zone play isn't Keslers' but he's far from our worst forward. He's a rookie, FFS. He's shown some offensive instincts, generated some chances and seems to know where to be when we have the puck. The other stuff is harder to learn and he'll get there eventually.

To think he should be the one creating offense for guys like Kesler or Sedin is a fucking joke.

At this point I'd much rather have Hodgson out there than Malhotra, who's been completely ineffective (re: terrible) due to his injury/conditioning and probably could use time off.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Topper wrote:Oh yes, the last two Art Ross Trophy winners should be playing second fiddle in as supporting cast to the coddled rookie.

Umm that was the opposite of what I was saying. The veterans helping the rookie along MEANS the rookie is playing second fiddle and is part of the supporting cast. YOU were saying that he wasn't helping his linemates get points (i.e. not making them better) which makes his linemates the support and Hodgson the focus of the line.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

Since when does Hodgson have to create for the Sedins?
Ask Tant, he suggested it, my post was sarcasm.
Island Nucklehead wrote:Personally, I haven't seen anything to indicate Hodgson isn't ready for an NHL roster spot. He needs to get tougher on his skates, needs to make better reads and his defensive zone play isn't Keslers' but he's far from our worst forward. He's a rookie, FFS. He's shown some offensive instincts, generated some chances and seems to know where to be when we have the puck. The other stuff is harder to learn and he'll get there eventually.

To think he should be the one creating offense for guys like Kesler or Sedin is a fucking joke.

At this point I'd much rather have Hodgson out there than Malhotra, who's been completely ineffective (re: terrible) due to his injury/conditioning and probably could use time off.
For the most part I agree and that is what I have been saying. I would add that the attemps to find him a spot in the lineup at wing has been a failure and unless, as we have both now suggested, Malhotra is benched or placed on the IRL, Cody should be in Chicago.

just as Tanev is learning his role, Cody should be learning his. An supposed NHL contended is not a training school.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote: The veterans helping the rookie along MEANS the rookie is playing second fiddle and is part of the supporting cast. YOU were saying that he wasn't helping his linemates get points (i.e. not making them better) which makes his linemates the support and Hodgson the focus of the line.
Well, the league leader in assists the last two seasons was unable to get him going......

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: For the most part I agree and that is what I have been saying. I would add that the attemps to find him a spot in the lineup at wing has been a failure and unless, as we have both now suggested, Malhotra is benched or placed on the IRL, Cody should be in Chicago.

just as Tanev is learning his role, Cody should be learning his. An supposed NHL contended is not a training school.
:lol:

Back track much?

I thought Hodgsons play made Jason King look like an all star and that Andrew Ebbett was getting a raw deal having to sit for Cody.

I guess since pretty much everyone thinks you are out to lunch here that back tracking is the way to go.

And Codys play on the wing in recent game has been fine. He struggled for a few games but he's been ok since.

No reason at all to send him down.

And I guess you still maintain that Andrew Ebbet should be the replacement, well you have to be saying that since he is the only other forward on the roster.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Topper wrote: Ask Tant, he suggested it, my post was sarcasm.
Not what I said at all, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:Back track much?

I thought Hodgsons play made Jason King look like an all star and that Andrew Ebbett was getting a raw deal having to sit for Cody.

I guess since pretty much everyone thinks you are out to lunch here that back tracking is the way to go.

And Codys play on the wing in recent game has been fine. He struggled for a few games but he's been ok since.

No reason at all to send him down.

And I guess you still maintain that Andrew Ebbet should be the replacement, well you have to be saying that since he is the only other forward on the roster.
I haven't back tracked at all Spud, I suggest you read my posts rather than reading what you think I say.

In my comments on the game day thread against Mini
Manny to the press box, maybe IRL to recover, opens a spot on the wing for Ebbett and puts Cody at centre on the fourth.
An example above - Where did I say Jason King looks like and all star in comparison to Cody?

Please find that and show it to the masses.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote: And seriously shouldn't it be the veterans helping the rookie put up points (especially when two are Art Ross winners and one is a Selke winner) not the other way around?
tantalum wrote:Or hell perhaps the Sedins were inept (as they were) and not helping a rookie along.
8-)

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
An example above - Where did I say Jason King looks like and all star in comparison to Cody?

Please find that and show it to the masses.
Topper wrote: I owe an apology for my comments on Cody last game. I compared him to Ryan Shannon and Jason King and I owe those two an apology. Cody is nowhere near that good. Poor Dan and Hank were hung with an albatross for two shifts.
Care to retract that statement?

And do you still think Andrew Ebbett should replace Cody?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Topper wrote:
tantalum wrote: And seriously shouldn't it be the veterans helping the rookie put up points (especially when two are Art Ross winners and one is a Selke winner) not the other way around?
tantalum wrote:Or hell perhaps the Sedins were inept (as they were) and not helping a rookie along.
8-)
Umm you were the one contending that Hodgson wasn't helping his linemates get points. My posts were clearly in response to that comment. If you want to warp that to mean I said he should be coddled I can't stop you and only say that isn't what I said/meant. With that comment and many others about Hodgson you have been implying very strongly that Hodgson should be the driving force behind whatever line he is on. The complaint is ALWAYS Hodgson messed up but nary a complaint on his linemates screwing up his offensive forays or blowing defensive coverages etc (and usually more often). Hodgson needs to help his linemates get points if he can;t be better in this area or that he needs to be Chicago. THAT ISN'T HIS ROLE! That is the role of the Art Ross winner, the Selke winner and veterans. Not the rookie. Not that hard to understand. His role is to be a support player at this point in his young career. That is what he is doing and doing better than other forwards on the team whether at center or on the wing. He shouldn't be in Chicago and he doesn't need Malhotra to be benched to be in the lineup.

When the likes of Kesler, Malhotra, Hansen, Booth, Henrik, Daniel, and others pull their hedas from their asses and start playing AND then if Hodgson no longer looks to belong (as he does right now) THEN you can start complaining. Right now there are far more important players that you should be focusing on. Hodgson is at worst teensy weensy eensy part of the problem. In most peoples eyes he, along with LaPierre and Higgins, have been the only bright spots up front so far. You're like S_C and Ballard.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Again, did I claim King is an All Star in comparison to Cody? It certainly does not look that way from the quote you found.

Yes, on the fourth line wing, Ebbett is a better option than Cody.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

tantalum wrote: You're like S_C and Ballard.
If anyone disagrees with this feel free to speak up.

-a pin drops-
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

tantalum wrote:When the likes of Kesler, Malhotra, Hansen, Booth, Henrik, Daniel, and others pull their hedas from their asses and start playing AND then if Hodgson no longer looks to belong (as he does right now) THEN you can start complaining. Right now there are far more important players that you should be focusing on. Hodgson is at worst teensy weensy eensy part of the problem. In most peoples eyes he, along with LaPierre and Higgins, have been the only bright spots up front so far. You're like S_C and Ballard.
:D
I have complained about them, but it seems complaining about Cody strikes a nerve among the salmon pink glasses crowd.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:
tantalum wrote: You're like S_C and Ballard.
If anyone disagrees with this feel free to speak up.

-a pin drops-
Cody earns every bit of criticism he gets from me, as do the other players I complain about and I have no problem defending my position in rebuttal.

Cody has also earned every bit of praise he has gotten from me.
Last edited by Topper on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.