Movember

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Movember

Post by tantalum »

Just a reminder to donate what you can to a good cause.

Lost my dad to prostate cancer in Jan 2009.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Movember

Post by Arachnid »

Now that's a cause I can get behind :hmmm:

I already have a goatee so what to do? Shave and grow a new one?

Halp!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

tantalum wrote:Just a reminder to donate what you can to a good cause.

Lost my dad to prostate cancer in Jan 2009.
How old was your Dad?

My Grandpa had it in his eighties, (don't think thats what eventually got him at 88 though) and my cousin on my Mom's side died of it at 42.

I was always under the impression that I should be getting checked when I hit my forties (btw spell check... why do we drop the "U" in four when it's multiplied by ten?)

I just went to my Doctor on Friday to get the ball rolling as I just turned 40 this summer and have had some other related-ish symptoms. He said my symptoms were "soft symptoms" and because my dad at 64 hasn't got it I wasn't at much (or enough) risk. The general rule he goes by is that if your Dad gets it at a certain age you should be checked 10 years prior to you turning that age... or turning Fifty; whichever comes first. I suppose though that with the American health care system things are quite different.

Apparently there is approximately a 1 in 2500 chance that the colonoscopy will do damage to your colon. Have you been checked?
2011..... the one that got away.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Ahh............ Dr. Jelly Finger.

I know women generally have it worse, but if they could find a better screening process for men it would be welcome.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Corb wrote:Ahh............ Dr. Jelly Finger.

I know women generally have it worse, but if they could find a better screening process for men it would be welcome.
They do, the PSA (prostrate-specific antigen) blood test.

Time to get a more modern doc if you're still getting Dr. Jelly Finger.

BTW, in accordance with Movember rules you start clean shaven and then only grow the 'stache. I'm sporting mine and raising funds as much as possible, we've got the whole crew at work on a team.

http://ca.movember.com/

Canada is by far the most generous country during his campaign. We've raised roughly $7M so far this year, the UK a distant second at just over $4M ...... the US is sitting at $2.4M.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I'm thinking it's all about drainage!

drainage, drainage, drainage!!!

Use it or lose if mofo's....

Well ok, I concede. Maybe it's not all about drainage, but it sure doesn't hurt <-------- (see wot).

So have your lady drain you today!
:thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:BTW, in accordance with Movember rules you start clean shaven and then only grow the 'stache.
LOL

Does November 1993 count as a start date?

Why only a a moustache? Chemo get your chin?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Wildfaery
CC Veteran

Post by Wildfaery »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Corb wrote:Ahh............ Dr. Jelly Finger.

They do, the PSA (prostrate-specific antigen) blood test.

Time to get a more modern doc if you're still getting Dr. Jelly Finger.

BTW, in accordance with Movember rules you start clean shaven and then only grow the 'stache. I'm sporting mine and raising funds as much as possible, we've got the whole crew at work on a team.

http://ca.movember.com/

Canada is by far the most generous country during his campaign. We've raised roughly $7M so far this year, the UK a distant second at just over $4M ...... the US is sitting at $2.4M.
Agree & disagree Aaron...you still need to get physically examined, butt the blood testing should be more specific.
Much like the testing for diabetes with the A1C and the specific testing on the thyroid T-3, T-4
Namaste WF
Namaste WF
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

It's a friggen finger in your ass... to save your life!

Com'on!
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Wildfaery
CC Veteran

Post by Wildfaery »

Right On Oh Dee!
Corbie has it right women have it worse...Pap smears...Mamograms. But several years ago testing found cancerous cell in my cervix(sp?) had a partial hysterectomy and have been cancer free ever since.
Namaste WF
Namaste WF
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BCMed, because of the high false positive rate, does not cover PSA testing. Fortunately, an annual conference I attend offers free PSA testing.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

WF out of curiosity, if a doc finds something suspicious during the physical exam what is the next step?

Not really sure how the moustache thing got started, though it's pretty noticeable who's participating which I guess would be the point when raising awareness.

If it was a full beard it would have to be Bovember.

Besides there's really no other reason for growing a 'stache, it does look a little goofy. Not really a fan of them on anyone, kind of looks creepy old guyish.
Wildfaery
CC Veteran

Post by Wildfaery »

Aaronp18 wrote:WF out of curiosity, if a doc finds something suspicious during the physical exam what is the next step?

Not really sure how the moustache thing got started, though it's pretty noticeable who's participating which I guess would be the point when raising awareness.

If it was a full beard it would have to be Bovember.

Besides there's really no other reason for growing a 'stache, it does look a little goofy. Not really a fan of them on anyone, kind of looks creepy old guyish.
Aaron, don't know how this has anything to do with facial hair...but do know that balding men have more testosterone than full haired men. also i do know from a female perspective that examination and the RIGHT blood testing can detect a more accurate picture of of whatever process is going on...thyroid...breast tissue and cervix health.
Namaste,WF
Namaste WF
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Wildfaery wrote: Aaron, don't know how this has anything to do with facial hair...but do know that balding men have more testosterone than full haired men. also i do know from a female perspective that examination and the RIGHT blood testing can detect a more accurate picture of of whatever process is going on...thyroid...breast tissue and cervix health.
Namaste,WF
The facial hair thing was more directed at Topper and the whole Movember thing. Sorry may have been a bit confusing.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaron, in my family's culture, the men, not the women, cultivate facial hair.

Look at it as a Right of Passage to becoming a man.