Which players has MG brought to Vcr

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Which players has MG brought to Vcr

Post by Listercat »

Been out of touch for a few days and missed the rather heated discussions around here.

Regarding Cody: The kid is a rookie, is still learning and in my estimation is learning fast. Knows where to go on the ice to get open as his goal on Lappy's great play showed. He is not afraid to go to the net and take a beating as per Edler's goal and another play I saw that game where he went straight at the net to open space for his linemate with the puck. Defense or playing without the puck in the NHL is the most difficult aspect of the game for most young players. Those that have a head for the game will learn it and Cody does. He has had some trouble going from Centre to wing and that is to be expected. He has shown he can move the puck quickly and accurately to his mates and seems to have a good grasp of where they are on the ice. Also seems to have a very hard/heavy shot which has given more than one tender trouble.

The "aging Sedins":

Given their work habits in the off season and their incredible conditioning, barring a freak injury, they should continue to be in the upper echelon of the NHL for another 5 years. They are innovators and play with a cerebral standard that is higher than anyone else. That is what brings them the elite staus.

Fear the Oilers:

They are a team that by virtue of Kevin Lowe's horrible management has picked high in the draft for several years. Yes they have a good young line of forwards all of whom are going to want huge $ in about 2-3 years. As Doc , I think mentioned, this is a "Cap" world and will they be able to hold on to them all. Three good young forwards do not a hockey team make and a supporting cast of Eager, Hordichuk and so on are not going to take you far in the playoffs. Bulin is getting old and is Dugnyk the tender of the future? WHo is up and coming on their backend that can play shutdown or fire bombs on the PP? This team is similar to the old Sabres French Connection line but they don't have a Schoenfeld on the back end. That team went to the finals once but usually did not have the lineup to consistently be at the top.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Listercat wrote:.

Fear the Oilers:

They are a team that by virtue of Kevin Lowe's horrible management has picked high in the draft for several years. Yes they have a good young line of forwards all of whom are going to want huge $ in about 2-3 years. As Doc , I think mentioned, this is a "Cap" world and will they be able to hold on to them all. Three good young forwards do not a hockey team make and a supporting cast of Eager, Hordichuk and so on are not going to take you far in the playoffs. Bulin is getting old and is Dugnyk the tender of the future? WHo is up and coming on their backend that can play shutdown or fire bombs on the PP? This team is similar to the old Sabres French Connection line but they don't have a Schoenfeld on the back end. That team went to the finals once but usually did not have the lineup to consistently be at the top.
Fear the Oil or don't fear the Oil,
That is the question that begins to invade the peaceful slumber of fans of the North West division. it seems that if the Flames are leaves west, the Oilers are Penguins north. Blessed with iconic hockey players not once, but twice in one lifetime. Its sickening to watch and know that in the 40 years of mediocrity while we have idolised some great players, the fans in Pittsburgh have had two "once in a lifetime" players in Mario Lemieux AND Sid Crosby to gush over. Now it looks like the Oilers will be able to one up the Penguins by icing a team with tomorrow's superstars. Will the Nuge become a first ballot hall of famer one day? Only time will tell, but the long years in the wilderness as a Canucks fan have conditioned me to believe that it is more than likely to be the case.
Dont get me wrong O great and powerful hockey gods, I am not turning my nose up at the blessings we have received, Bure, Linden, and a double helping of Sedins is great and good and I am grateful, However, if the Fans of Edmonton end up with a new dynasty I think I will just puke... :drink:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dbr wrote:
mathonwy wrote:I don't think anyone is panicking.

I fear the Coilers.
Hmmm..
:wave:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Yeah man, those Oilers are going to be unstoppable in a couple years. I mean hey, if there's one thing that's been proven in the NHL it's that having a few skilled young forwards is the ticket to going deep in the playoffs every year. Goaltending, defence and overall depth are soooo overrated these days.

How many teams can boast to have two or three flashy, non-physical forwards on their roster? Just think if they could actually aquire some sort of supporting cast. And if global warming continues, the sky's the limit for the mass appeal the city of Edmonton instills in prospective free agents.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah man, those Oilers are going to be unstoppable in a couple years. I mean, if there's one thing that's been proven in the NHL, it's that having a few skilled young forwards is the ticket to going deep in the playoffs every year. Goaltending, defence and overall depth are soooo overrated these days.

How many teams can boast to have two or three flashy, non-physical forwards on their roster? Just think if they could actually aquire some sort of supporting cast. And if global warming continues, the sky's the limit for the mass appeal the city of Edmonton instills in prospective free agents.
Beware beware!!
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah man, those Oilers are going to be unstoppable in a couple years. I mean, if there's one thing that's been proven in the NHL, it's that having a few skilled young forwards is the ticket to going deep in the playoffs every year. Goaltending, defence and overall depth are soooo overrated these days.

Oilers at best are going to become the Lightning of the west. They're eventually going to have too much dough wrapped up in their few star forwards to put a complete team together... unless of course Tambellini has the balls to trade one or two of those young guns for some depth D.

As for right now, they are overachieving and I don't see it continuing the whole season. Probably better for them to tank a bit anyways with this years draft being deep on defence.
2011..... the one that got away.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ukcanuck wrote: Now it looks like the Oilers will be able to one up the Penguins by icing a team with tomorrow's superstars.
I like RNH but if you think he is anywhere close to the level Crosby was at the same age you need to take another look.

I know people here seem to suffer from "Alberta Angst" but this is out of hand.

RHN is currently shooting 23%, once that number regresses to a normal 10 to 16 percent that nice tidy PPG pace he is currently on will drop down to a 60 ish pace, which is most likely where he will end up.

As far as the Oilers go this season, the reality is that they are winning with smoke an mirrors right now.

They are 26th in goals per game and have one of the worst shot differentials in the league.

Goaltending isnt just a factor in their record right now it's the only factor. Once Khabis save percentage regresses to his normal career average of .908, the oilers will drop like a rock in the standings.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

yeah I know you guys are most likely right and nothing like a cup winning franchise will develop up there in the tundra, but all those high picks and the young guns mojo they got going on there gives them Oiler fans hope and I don't like it. I much prefer the Oilers franchise that couldn't keep free agents and only young AHLers wanted to play there because they knew wouldn't crack a real NHL squad.
As far as I am concerned, I really can't see any difference when it comes to Alberta sports franchises. if any of them never win anything ever again it will be too soon.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Potatoe1 wrote: I know people here seem to suffer from "Alberta Angst" but this is out of hand.
Pots,

Come April 2012, it's going to be either egg on your face or "I told you so".

No middle ground for you bro. I respect that.

I personally like to hedge.

:mex:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

mathonwy wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: I know people here seem to suffer from "Alberta Angst" but this is out of hand.
Pots,

So you think their goalie can maintain his .960 save percentage?

Because in order for the Oil to keep winning they either need to drastically improve their scoring and teritorial defensive play (prety much over night), or Kahbi will have to have the best goaltending performance in the history of the NHL (by far).

Somehow I think my rep is fairly safe on this one (smile).
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

There's a very slim chance the Oil make the playoffs this season. My darkhorse pick in the predictions thread was the Avs, and I still think they are a much more dangerous squad.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Potatoe1 wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Pots,

So you think their goalie can maintain his .960 save percentage?

Because in order for the Oil to keep winning they either need to drastically improve their scoring and teritorial defensive play (prety much over night), or Kahbi will have to have the best goaltending performance in the history of the NHL (by far).

Somehow I think my rep is fairly safe on this one (smile).
Hahahah..

and you even manage to throw in that good ol Potato condescension as well... that's priceless. (smile).

and no I actually didn't mention anything about the .960 save percentage. That's like me asking you

so, you think Kevin Lowe is a dolt and won't be able to hold onto the embarrassment of riches he currently has on his team and guide the Coilers back to respectability?

If you wanna shoot at me, pick something that I said instead of manufacturing stuff aight?

and actually, my last post was a bit inaccurate. Next June is way too early to see what Lowe can do with his team. The true test will be what will they give Hall when his current contract expires.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

mathonwy wrote: Come April 2012, it's going to be either egg on your face or "I told you so".
and no I actually didn't mention anything about the .960 save percentage. That's like me asking you

so, you think Kevin Lowe is a dolt and won't be able to hold onto the embarrassment of riches he currently has on his team and guide the Coilers back to respectability?

I think you missed the point here.

You said "come April 2012 I will have egg on my face", which implies that the Oilers will still be a top team at the end of the season.

I didn't say that the Oilers wouldn't "ever" be good, what I said was their current record is not sustainable and that they will most likely drop like a rock as the current season progresses.

There is no doubt that the oilers have some nice pieces and will start trending up, that is obvious. What isn't so obvious is how soon they will improve and how high their ceiling is.

I think most Canuck fans feel the ceiling is higher and the ascension is going to be quicker then the evidence says it is.

I chalk it up to "Alberta Angst".
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackalman
CC Veteran

Post by jackalman »

Kevin Lowe is not the Oilers GM. Steve Tambelini (or however its spelled) is.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

jackalman wrote:Kevin Lowe is not the Oilers GM. Steve Tambelini (or however its spelled) is.
I'm sure Lowe is still the guy pulling the puppet strings in Edmonton, but yes, Tambellini is officially their GM
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde