Which players has MG brought to Vcr

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Which players has MG brought to Vcr

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I'm not to enamored with what we have comimg down the pipe to be replacing the Sedins as they start to decline. Sorry to say, but Cody ain't no Sedin. I like Cody, but he ain't the next coming. It's pretty much Cody vs Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Paajarvi/Omark/Gagner. Way too early to call Jensen a sure thing. Gillis needs to fatten the future a little bit more, cause After the Sedins start to slip, the Oilers will be eating us for Breakfast for many years, post Sedin dominance.
The Sedins are just 31 and given their style of play and fitness level they likely wont decline until well into their mid 30's.

Point being, it is very premature to be worrying about how we will be able to compete with another team that really has yet to prove a thing.

Personally I'm a bit surprised so many have fixated on Edmonton when the Av's seem to have just as my quality young players and a far better balance positionaly.

Stasney, Duchane, Johnson, O'reily, and Landeskog, seems like a pretty dam fantastic young core as well.

I think we all have a lot of angst over Alberta having a better team then Vancouver.
I would take the Oilers young players over the Avalanches. Taylor Hall is a future Top 5 player along with Nugent Hopkins. Taylor Hall is almost already a superstar. Nugent-Hopkins won't be too far behind, I see those two hitting early stardom the way Toews and Kane did. Landeskog and Dushcene are the next tier down, good players but not in the same league. Also, Eric Johnson is borderline bust and Stastny ain't turning out as expected. O'Reilly is a solid two-way player but not a super highly skilled star in the making.

The Sedins are a decade and more older than the Oilers young stars, in 3-4 years when we will be seeing the demise of the Sedin dominance, the young Oilers won't even be mid twenties yet. And who do we have to go head to head with the likes of their youth along with the Avalanches in our division? Cody will need a lot more help.

Yes, I know, way too early to be talking like this, but this is first time in a while where I am not seeing the next generation of Canuck star(S) knocking on the heels of the current Canuck Stars. We still have some good years with this group as we are relatively middle-aged in hockey years, but the true test for Gillis is will he be able to maintain a competitive team as this current group ages as we see the young gun Oilers and Avalanche on the verge.

The one thing that is not making hate the Booth trade completely is that Gillis got a 3rd round pick. Hopefully this is a sign of whats to come from Gillis, an eye on the future, instead of unloading draft picks galore like he as up to this point.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Tciso wrote:We are quickly becoming one of the older teams in the league
Uhh, no we aren't....

we have 5 players over 30 and 4 of those players are under 32.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote:
Yes, I know, way too early to be talking like this,
So stop?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: It's pretty much Cody vs Hall/Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle/Paajarvi/Omark/Gagner.
Hmmm pretty tough to match two consecutive #1 Overall picks from the previous two drafts in a game of Which Team Has the Brightest Young Stars. Hall and Hopkins should definitely be labled future superstars, and Eberle isn't TOO far off that. However, Paajarvi/Omark/Gagner are all covered in question marks at this point.

If your team sucks the NHL gives you hope for the future in higher draft picks....

but there's more to building a champion-type team than that!

You're predicting a new Oiler dynasty a few years from now.

Don't forget that a few years from now those 3 young star forwards will eat a large chunk of the Oil salary cap.

And while awesome to have, you need more than 3 young star forwards.

We'll hafta see how they build around these guys....
RoyalDude wrote: the Oilers will be eating us for Breakfast for many years, post Sedin dominance.
Pretty bold words oh Prophet of Doom! :shock:

Are you going to be here to eat said words with spaghetti sauce a few years from now? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
I would take the Oilers young players over the Avalanches. Taylor Hall is a future Top 5 player along with Nugent Hopkins. Taylor Hall is almost already a superstar. Nugent-Hopkins won't be too far behind, I see those two hitting early stardom the way Toews and Kane did. Landeskog and Dushcene are the next tier down, good players but not in the same league. Also, Eric Johnson is borderline bust and Stastny ain't turning out as expected. O'Reilly is a solid two-way player but not a super highly skilled star in the making.

The Sedins are a decade and more older than the Oilers young stars, in 3-4 years when we will be seeing the demise of the Sedin dominance, the young Oilers won't even be mid twenties yet. And who do we have to go head to head with the likes of their youth along with the Avalanches in our division? Cody will need a lot more help.

Yes, I know, way too early to be talking like this, but this is first time in a while where I am not seeing the next generation of Canuck star(S) knocking on the heels of the current Canuck Stars. We still have some good years with this group as we are relatively middle-aged in hockey years, but the true test for Gillis is will he be able to maintain a competitive team as this current group ages as we see the young gun Oilers and Avalanche on the verge.

The one thing that is not making hate the Booth trade completely is that Gillis got a 3rd round pick. Hopefully this is a sign of whats to come from Gillis, an eye on the future, instead of unloading draft picks galore like he as up to this point.
I think you're pretty far off the mark about the Avalanche. Johnson is a 23 year old d-man who's putting up .5 PPG since joining the Avalanche. He's 6'4 230lbs and plays 23 minutes/game. If that's a bust I hope we tank hard at the draft... Matt Duschene had exactly 1 less point than Toews in their first two NHL seasons. Obviously the Oilers kids are playing very well right now, but let's let RN-H play more than 11 games before saying he's head and shoulders above Duschene.

As far as the Canucks are concerned, who cares? It kind of goes without saying that when the Sedins decline we might be in a rebuild. We haven't had great draft position recently, and we probably won't for a few more years. Make no mistake about it, the time will come when we won't be a contending team. Doesn't mean we have to seriously worry about it right now, we deal with that when we have to. Right now we're in the same boat (probably better off) as teams like Detroit and San Jose and that's not exactly a bad place to be in. We have (right now) a couple bonafide superstars, back to back scoring champions and a former Hart trophy winner. There's no guarantee the Oilers' crew will ever get to that level, why are we worried when we have players that are there presently?

We're probably the most balanced and deep team in hockey at all positions right now. That bodes well for the future. Teams like the Oilers have fantastic offensive prospects, but questions about every other position and their depth. They have no Duncan Keith. Furthermore, their window to build a deep team a-la Blackhawks cup team is incredibly small. Let's not forget that Edmonton doesn't rank very high on most players wish-list, so "hometeam" discounts should be difficult to come by and attracting quality UFA's for realistic salaries (Hamhuis, Malhotra) will be even harder. Building a quality team around them could prove tricky, even teams like Atlanta had Kovalchuk and Heatley together.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Matt Duschene is a good player Island Nucklehead but I'd need about 0 seconds to decide on who I'd rather have between Toews and Duschene. That being Toews.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: The questionable pickups right now would be Booth and Baltard; for Booth, it's still early and Ballard has played quite a bit better this year, but their contracts might handcup the team for a long time.
Post of the Day
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

All of this talk about the future at centre once the Sedins begin to decline should be taken seriously but not at the expense of panicking. It has me thinking that a deal to land Turris maybe a smart move for the future if the current cost is not too great. The future would certainly look better after Hank is gone to know we have the likes of Kesler, Hodgson and Turris holding down centre spot.

Ballard and Booth have, or will have soon enough, limited NTC so they can be moved if/when we need to. We also have an owner who is willing to eat salary in the AHL if need be so I'm not worried about them moving forward.

I'm more concerned about making sure we have steady goaltending, reliable D and strenght at centre.
The only HW the Canucks need
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Hockey Widow wrote:All of this talk about the future at centre once the Sedins begin to decline should be taken seriously but not at the expense of panicking.
I can only imagine how worried people must be about their own future if the Sedins getting older worries them this much. I wonder what RD was panicking about 8 years ago when the Sedins were our future and the mighty Flames had Iginla.

I say we tear it down and rebuild NOW, and then continue rebuilding forever so we don't have to worry about a good team possibly declining.
surreal78

Post by surreal78 »

dhabums wrote:I can only imagine how worried people must be about their own future if the Sedins getting older worries them this much. I wonder what RD was panicking about 8 years ago when the Sedins were our future and the mighty Flames had Iginla.

I say we tear it down and rebuild NOW, and then continue rebuilding forever so we don't have to worry about a good team possibly declining.
Post of the Day, redux.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hockey Widow wrote:All of this talk about the future at centre once the Sedins begin to decline should be taken seriously but not at the expense of panicking. It has me thinking that a deal to land Turris maybe a smart move for the future if the current cost is not too great. The future would certainly look better after Hank is gone to know we have the likes of Kesler, Hodgson and Turris holding down centre spot.
Agree wholeheartedly.

I don't think anyone is panicking. More like, some posters are saying beware the Coilers and some posters are saying, fuggedaboutit.

The more the posters say fuggedaboutit, the more the other posters say, beware beware!! And we go around in a circle because nobody's going to convince either side.

What also plays into it is the psychology of being a Canuck fan. Seriously speaking. We were ONE FUCKING GAME AWAY FROM THE THE GOD DAMN STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only way it could have been closer is if it went to OT. This fact alone has completely ruined the pysche of the hardcore Canuck fan. We are all extremely anxious because who knows how big the window is for the Nucks to win it. LA has improved itself dramatically. Chicago has retooled itself. And now Edmonton is looking very good.

If Chicago can win the SC with a team that was much younger than the Canucks, so can the Coilers. As a poster said, it just takes some savvy trades to get there and the Coilers have plenty to work with. I believe that GMMG is doing the best he can to win us a SC but he can't score goals. The biggest question marks I have with our current team are the Sedins, Luo and AV. I just don't know if these four guys have what it takes to win it for us. I'm not blaming anyone. I just wouldn't bet on them.

I fear the Coilers. They got nothing to lose right now and a fuck-load of young talent. We on the other hand, have everything to lose and not-so-young talent-that-couldn't-get-it-done-last-June-and-everyone-saw-it.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Oh yeah, it also doesn't help that the Coilers are the media darlings right now.

Both the Coilers and the Laughs have had amazing starts to the season hence, lots of media coverage and lots of anxiety for the Canuck fan who hasn't recovered from June.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

All this talk about the Sedins, losing dominance. They are amazing regular season players but unless they pull their collective socks up (with Volvo logos on them) for the playoffs. The could be walking. Yes, I know the contracts are limiting but if they do the same performance as last year...I believe (and hope) they are bye bye.

There is a quote that run's in my head over and over. it was ...."I like our chances"

Also comparing them with Cody. I guess you don't remember that the Sedin's took quite awhile to get their shit together. They were quite average for a long time. They really didn't become a true first line for the last couple of years.

MG has done a great job of fixing what is broke. He continues to do this.

All I can say...

In Gillis we trust.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Calgary_Canuck wrote:All this talk about the Sedins, losing dominance. They are amazing regular season players but unless they pull their collective socks up (with Volvo logos on them) for the playoffs. The could be walking. Yes, I know the contracts are limiting but if they do the same performance as last year...I believe (and hope) they are bye bye.

There is a quote that run's in my head over and over. it was ...."I like our chances"

Also comparing them with Cody. I guess you don't remember that the Sedin's took quite awhile to get their shit together. They were quite average for a long time. They really didn't become a true first line for the last couple of years.

MG has done a great job of fixing what is broke. He continues to do this.

All I can say...

In Gillis we trust.
If that's all you can say.......hate to see a rant
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

mathonwy wrote:I don't think anyone is panicking.

I fear the Coilers.
Hmmm..