GDT: Oct 29: Canucks host Washington - 7pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Oct 29: Canucks host Washington - 7pm - CBC

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
All that aside, how has Booth looked out there fellas... is he a good fit with Kess??
Booth has looked OK. Just OK, not bad, not good, just OK. He is fast. He does forecheck as advertised. He does have a shoot first mentality as advertised. He does go to the net. He has a good shot. I think he will move on from OK to good soon enough.

Still seeing a learning curve for him. With Higgins put on the third line Kesler and Booth are now missing a line mate. Cody did OK last night but the 3 together seem to be missing something. So I like what I see in Booth but we have yet to see he and Kesler look like the second coming of Dank and Bank.

They need a playmaker for them and as of yet Cody has not been that.

I think this six game road trip will help and Booth has himself alluded to that. He is looking forward to getting on the road and having no distractions so he can settle in more.

As a side not he indicated that this will be his first road trip over 3 games, with all the travel to boot.
The only HW the Canucks need
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Booth has looked OK. Just OK, not bad, not good, just OK. He is fast. He does forecheck as advertised. He does have a shoot first mentality as advertised. He does go to the net. He has a good shot. I think he will move on from OK to good soon enough.
I liked his hustle.

I'd upgrade your O.K./not bad/not good to at least promising.
2011..... the one that got away.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:And all the others were about oil.

Still, they tried to disguise it as doing Gods work.
My thinking is that pretty well every war ever fought has been about some combination of money, land, and power, with a few more being about unpopular leaders trying to distract their uppity populations in order to hold onto power.

Unfortunately, those reasons don't tend to strike a chord with the "everyman," so excuses must be invented. Religion has been one of the most common excuses throughout the centuries, another common one being "they attacked us first," even if they didn't.

But please, don't confuse an excuse for a reason. That's one of the main barriers separating the ignorant from a true understanding of the world.

OK! </derail>

I've liked, but not loved Booth. He hasn't been as offensively visible as my rose-coloured glasses originally expected, but I attribute this mostly to his learning of a very complex system. He seems to be focusing most of his attention on picking up defensive assignments, rather than pushing the pace offensively. Personally, I'm mostly happy with this choice, and think his offensive game will pick up as he becomes more familiar with the system.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lloyd Braun wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:And all the others were about oil.

Still, they tried to disguise it as doing Gods work.
My thinking is that pretty well every war ever fought has been about some combination of money, land, and power, with a few more being about unpopular leaders trying to distract their uppity populations in order to hold onto power.

Unfortunately, those reasons don't tend to strike a chord with the "everyman," so excuses must be invented. Religion has been one of the most common excuses throughout the centuries, another common one being "they attacked us first," even if they didn't.

But please, don't confuse an excuse for a reason. That's one of the main barriers separating the ignorant from a true understanding of the world.

OK! </derail>

I've liked, but not loved Booth. He hasn't been as offensively visible as my rose-coloured glasses originally expected, but I attribute this mostly to his learning of a very complex system. He seems to be focusing most of his attention on picking up defensive assignments, rather than pushing the pace offensively. Personally, I'm mostly happy with this choice, and think his offensive game will pick up as he becomes more familiar with the system.
Agreed on all counts! :)

Even "religious" wars, like the crusades, the thirty year war, etc, were rarely really about religion; religion and patriotism are merely the standard ingredients of the propaganda used to rouse the foot soldiers.

And I also think that Booth, god willing :wink:, will look better when he has had a few more games to adjust.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This is a game day thread. Another comment on religion here will get the topic locked. Like I said before, take it to the Bar & Grill.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:In light of your many, many, many, insults targeting Luongo and the plethora of posts you have made disparaging the guy's abilities and integrity I am beginning to think that you don't like Roberto very much :shock:
I was a big fan of the guy right up until last year. I backed him after every playoff loss, I threw the team under the bus to defend him at times, after last season I'm done. The guy is becoming a head case, I really hope he can come around and start playing at the level he's paid at. As for my rant about him giving Ballard the silent treatment, I'd rant about that with anyone who has played with Luongo's level of consistency and then thrown a teammate under the bus that way. It would be like Bieksa tossing attitude and scorn towards his goalie for a goal where he totally failed to pick up his man in front. Lou is just an easier target in this case because of the number of beach balls he has whiffed on going back to June.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

This is a game day thread. Another comment on religion here will get the topic locked. Like I said before, take it to the Bar & Grill.
Is that you Satan? He he. Just kidding. Hey - we learned about Booth's religious ways as a result of his interview after the game. So it's not that off topic IMO.
They just started to play as a line though. I think this will work given some time.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Cornuck wrote:This is a game day thread. Another comment on religion here will get the topic locked. Like I said before, take it to the Bar & Grill.
I follow the Canucks religiously.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Corb wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Listen guys I haven't been able to watch the last two games, what have the defensive pairings been?
Doc, you need to up your commitment.

The pairings were:

Hamhuis Juice
Edler Salo
Ballard Salsa

My sides are probably wrong ( I know that is important to you).
Important to me??

Ummmm important period!

Looks like you must have it right there.

And it continues to appear your Canucks can't find room for $4mil D-man Ballard in the top 4!

Four more years on that contract, something's gotta give.

Thanks for the info Corb, I don't miss many games....

I'm glad Corny put his foot down in regards to the subject of religion, this being a game day thread

.... on a fucking Canucks message board!

The "blind hatred & ignorance" that followed was no doubt inevitable. And the stench of said ignorance in this particular case was no doubt on par with that of a spandex-wearing-moron's bicycle-seat after peddling his greasy ass wee wee wee all the way home after an evening of overindulgence at Luigi's all-you-can-eat Ristorante.

So wots say we stick to wot we know then eh wot ole chaps: CANUCKS :thumbs:

Last edited by Strangelove on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
All that aside, how has Booth looked out there fellas... is he a good fit with Kess??
Booth has looked OK. Just OK, not bad, not good, just OK. He is fast. He does forecheck as advertised. He does have a shoot first mentality as advertised. He does go to the net. He has a good shot. I think he will move on from OK to good soon enough.

Still seeing a learning curve for him. With Higgins put on the third line Kesler and Booth are now missing a line mate. Cody did OK last night but the 3 together seem to be missing something. So I like what I see in Booth but we have yet to see he and Kesler look like the second coming of Dank and Bank.

I think this six game road trip will help and Booth has himself alluded to that. He is looking forward to getting on the road and having no distractions so he can settle in more.

As a side not he indicated that this will be his first road trip over 3 games, with all the travel to boot.
Thanks H-dub, it seems to me they should give Hods a try at centre (let Kess take the important draws?). Call me old-fashioned but I like your playmaker at centre.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:.
Thanks H-dub, it seems to me they should give Hods a try at centre (let Kess take the important draws?). Call me old-fashioned but I like your playmaker at centre.[/quote]

They could be biding time until Raymond comes back. It looks like the 3rd and 4th line are starting to come into their own and we all know that the 1st line is going to get their points. I think Cody is going to get all the time he needs, for now, or until AV has decided he has had enough opportunities. :D

Although Raymond is not a playmaker either but his speed would help that line. They need a Henrik Sedin type on that line.
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Strangelove wrote: Thanks H-dub, it seems to me they should give Hods a try at centre (let Kess take the important draws?). Call me old-fashioned but I like your playmaker at centre.
So do I. Perhaps moving Kesler to the wing will allow him to actually get a shot through on the rush as he has the angle...when coming up the middle he just shoots the puck into shin pads. Putting him on the wing may also get him to play his power game again.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Kesler has put up the best numbers of any second-line center in the league for two straight seasons. Along with the best two-way game in the NHL and excellent face-off %.

Moving him to the wing is a bad idea IMO.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Kesler has put up the best numbers of any second-line center in the league for two straight seasons. Along with the best two-way game in the NHL and excellent face-off %.
Yeah we know, Potski keeps reminding us of that. :D

All we're asking is to give it a try for a coupla games with Kess taking key draws.

Not sure how Hods would fair, but Mr Kesler would no doubt be one of the best wingers in hockey.
____
Try to focus on someday.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Yep. I'm not talking about a permanent move just thinking it might give the guys a kick.