GDT: Canucks@Oilers Oct 25, 2011, 6:30pm, SPac, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT: Canucks@Oilers Oct 25, 2011, 6:30pm, SPac, 1040

Post by Corb »

I am getting really frustrated with Edler.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Corb wrote:I am getting really frustrated with Edler.
At least he was crushing kids.

Bieksa is the blue-liner I'm concerned about.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Rumsfeld wrote:
At least he was crushing kids.

Bieksa is the blue-liner I'm concerned about.
Loved the pinch that caused the 4 on 1 while shorthanded. Typical October Canucks.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Well, the schedule is looking pretty easy for the next few weeks. It's frustrating, but I'll reserve my concern until mid-November or so.

If we're still flailing then, maybe I'll panic.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Benjo wrote:
Loved the pinch that caused the 4 on 1 while shorthanded. Typical October Canucks.
That was my favorite play of the game!

Well, at least Hodgson scored and it was close at the end. Cody was OK tonight. Like when he was playing with Sturm and Samuelsson, his line mates sucked offensively. If the defensive coverage breakdowns can come to an end, I think he has to stick.

Manny looks horrible. I am worried about him. The vision is just not there. Thankfully we have Lapierre as a very good insurance policy and CH looks comfortable for the most part.

KB3 is back to being Special K.

Edler is a slower starter than Lalongo apparently. He needs to get back to his hard hitting, assertive ways.

Booth is quick.

Rather than list the players who were shit, you should think of the ones who were good enough. It will be a much easier list to make.

Why is it that this team can play well, then get scored on several times in a short span, and then look fine a few minutes later? I'm starting to think it's not all Red Light's fault.

Can Hansen please develop some finish? Thanks.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Rumsfeld wrote:maybe I'll panic.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

i still think that Edmonton will have our number this year. I think they are a skill team and we are a skill team and we don't play smash mouth enough to cow them kids...
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

What about him, specifically?

I think he looks okay except for the fact that he CAN'T GET SHOTS THROUGH.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

3 goals on 4 shots and Luongo is pulled. At least they finally pulled him at the right time for a change (before 7 goals). How many times do we have to go through this? I bet he's been pulled more often than he shuts out the opposition. No I haven't watched the replays but I grow weary of "it's not his fault". So .... it's the rest of the team's fault all the time is it?

What an amazing save by Schneider. That was a big time game saver. What an amazing stop earlier by the Bulin Wall on Salo. Incredible goal tending.

Did you guys see Hall reacting to getting smashed by Edler? What a cry baby. That's one ego I can't stand. I like Eberle. The Nuge? Too hyped up for me - they're gonna ruin his mind with all these comparisons to the great one.

The Canucks need more toughness. Duh. Duh. Duh. Is anybody listening?

Cody H deserves a roster spot as much as any Canuck. It was great to see him get rewarded tonight.

Ben Eager should not be allowed to play in the NHL. He just seems like a WWF wrestler on skates to me.

Poor officiating tonight. I'm used to that, but why does it keep bothering me? I must be insane.

We need Rome back in the line up. Alberts has become ... stupid with the puck. Rome would at least be flattening people like Edler.

How about that penalty killing by Burrows and Kesler? Wicked stuff.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

ukcanuck wrote:i still think that Edmonton will have our number this year. I think they are a skill team and we are a skill team and we don't play smash mouth enough to cow them kids...
Their defence is garbage and our depth up front is far superior. We should beat them regularly.

As good as the Kid line has looked they've never done anything in this league, while the Sedins have been the best forwards in the world for two years straight and top-5 for several seasons before that. The rigours of the NHL will probably wear the Oiler kids down as the season progresses. Hall is going to be special though, albeit a little bitch at the same time.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

griz wrote:
We need Rome back in the line up. Alberts has become ... stupid with the puck. Rome would at least be flattening people like Edler.

How about that penalty killing by Burrows and Kesler? Wicked stuff.
I thought Alberts was fumbling and stumbling quite badly early on and him and Manny played a huge part in that first goal, but of course the coaches see otherwise and gives him almost 17 minutes instead. I always say if you're giving Rome and Alberts more than 15 game in game out you're in trouble.

Well, Romer should be back soon so... it's like here we go again AV. Bieksa and Edler struggling... more icetime. Manny struggling mightily... more icetime. The only guy I liked tonight was Higgins who continues to bring it every night.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

As far as the new guy goes, Booth looks like he'll fit in very well with his speed and willingness to drive to the net. Hopefully his linemates will give him some space next game to get off that quick wrist shot. Kesler was pretty average tonight.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Saw the goals finally. I tuned in the TEAM for the third.....

Goal 1 was saveable. At least most goalies seem to make that save on us.....a guy like Eberle loads up for a wrist shot, chances are pretty damn good that it's gonna be up off the ice, more likely upper half of the net. So how does Louie play it? Just like everything else, down to his knees half bent over and throwing his arms up. If he had at least read that one right then sure, whatever, good shot, it beat him clean. Instead he looked like me at floor hockey.

Goal 2 is all on Luongo. Stay in your net when the other team in coming strong, you aren't Marty Turco.

Goal 3 was a wtf on the whole team with Luongo looking just as lost as everyone else.

Schneider was solid in relief and made a couple of good saves, none bigger than the one on Eberle that kept it close for us to try to come back. Had some chances too, unfortunately for us too many of them were on the stick of "No Hands" Hansen.

From the sounds of a couple of the post-game comments (particularly Vigneault's), upstairs is getting tired of Luongo's play and is instructing AV to keep his leash short. I think that both Gillis and the Italians are more concerned with wins than Lou's sensitivities.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

If you are MG you have to be very concerned about next year's RFA Cory Schneider. How can you even think about parting with him at this point? I'd give him the start the next 5 games just to piss Luongo off.

Maybe Keenan and Milbury knew what they were talking about when they said his ego gets in the way of his play and coachability. Whatever Luongo needs to do he had better do it soon. I know he is an annual slow starter and so I get that but he has got to be better.

We had a strong 1st and looked to be on our way to a controlled game. Then the wheels fell off and I am at a loss to explain how we can let in those 3 quick goals against a team we were dominating. Then we hit the gas and I thought we just might pull it out.

But this reminds me of last season when we failed to play 60 minutes but we would find a way to win. Right now we are not. Same excuses and same laments after the game. Simply put we have to be better.
The only HW the Canucks need
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Thankfully I didn't watch the 3 Edmonton goals - I tuned in shortly after, so from my perspective the Canucks and Schneider held off the kids and skated to a 2-0 win.

Like most of you I think, I'm nowhere near panic. In fact, I'd go back to Luongo tonight to get him back on the horse. Same for Ballard who's minutes were shortened - give him at least 16 to 18 tonight. If you're going to suck in October (which even AV agrees they do), then let them play through it. That luxury won't exist later, so you might as well find out now who responds.

A little too early for doghouses IMO, and the next 2.5 weeks will be the time to sort it out. You've got good opportunity for wins against some weaker opponents coming up, and some bell-weather games against the Caps, Hawks and LA/Anaheim.

Depending how / who responds, I think we'll have a better sense of the 2011/12 Canucks in these next 8 than we have in the past 9.