Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts

Post by ukcanuck »

"Supes has a Booth"

I like this trade also. it seems to fit on several levels.
Fast, physical, and offensive upside, who has potential for chemistry with Kesler and Higgins... whats not to like?
I also like that it seems this was a calculated move, not a knee jerk or fell in our lap reaction. Thats cool because it shows that Gillis is operating from a plan.

I assume the draft pick was one we gave up in the Ballard trade, but I am not certain, if so that's good news. Gillis values those draft picks more, never a bad thing
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

ukcanuck wrote: I assume the draft pick was one we gave up in the Ballard trade, but I am not certain, if so that's good news. Gillis values those draft picks more, never a bad thing
Also puts MG in a position to tender an RFA offer sheet in 2013, if I understand correctly.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Rudypoo wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I assume the draft pick was one we gave up in the Ballard trade, but I am not certain, if so that's good news. Gillis values those draft picks more, never a bad thing
Also puts MG in a position to tender an RFA offer sheet in 2013, if I understand correctly.
I think it puts him in a position to tender offer sheets this summer? The free agency period starts July 1st, after the June 2012 draft, so your next years draft picks (2013) would be the ones used as compensation.
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Rudypoo wrote:
I think it puts him in a position to tender offer sheets this summer? The free agency period starts July 1st, after the June 2012 draft, so your next years draft picks (2013) would be the ones used as compensation.
That's what I meant, obviously. ;)

:whistle:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

I did not check the news until this morning. Wow, what a surprise! I just could not imagine MG trading away Sturm so quickly. Speaking of Sammuelsson, I just could not see him being the same player as he first arrived in Vancouver. Trading away two aging forwards for a young hardworking forward should not be a bad idea.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Capgeek shows Booth with a limited NTC. Anyone hear that he waived it to come here?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The Canucks take a gamble on Booth at age 26, fully recovering from a horrific concussion injury. As discussed, Booth's already got 88 games (plus preseason) underneath his belt since it happened so that's very encouraging. The negative nancy in me however says that the hockey gods typically piss on the Nucks in terms of injuries and if shit can happen, it will (e.g. Hamhuis).

Hockey gods aside, I think this is a good gamble. Sammy didn't play for us last post season, Sturm's a bag a pucks (no offense Sturm) and Booth is only 26 with very high upside.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1011717&page=5
Pantherfan12
Booth is an outstanding player who is NOT overrated by Florida fans. He has not fallen off the wagon since his concussion, he's had how many new linemates since last season????? He's never going to score like Crosby or Ovechkin and I think it's rather shocking to me how any warm blooded, absolute die hard Panther fan have anything but positives to say about Booth.. Seriously, what more do you want?? He's not one-dimentional.. He's fast as lightning, he can score goals.. He's been passing a lot more. He hits. He drives to the net. He finishes his checks and isn't afraid to take the body. He is always working to improve himself on and off the ice and I really am completely broken up about this. Booth is outstanding and I really hope he wins the Cup with Van,so he and the other former Panthers can gives this organization the finger like Horton did this past year. This makes me sick.

Pantherfan12's endorsement makes me feel very warm and fuzzy about this trade as a Canuck fan.

As a Florida fan, this is a fucking cock slap in the face. You give up a young stud for 1.25 spare parts. Sammy can still produce but we all know how he can have serious motivation issues and the word is still out on whether or not Sturm can even be a regular contributing NHL player at ANY position. PLUS PLUS PLUS, you have to give away a 3rd.

Sorta like how Calgary gave up Phaneuf for a bunch of spare parts. The major difference here is Tallon didn't take on some stupid contracts.

Yeah, as a Florida fan, I'd be spitting mad. If you're going to rebuild, you don't give away your best assets. You trade them away from draft picks and prospects. I thought that was Hockey GM 101? As a non-playoff team, you target the potential playoff teams and raid their cupboards. Or, you trade a "reclamation project" for another "reclamation project" (IE Heatley/Havlat).

Dale Tallon had a good 4 months to go until the draft deadline to put together a better deal for his club. Poor Panthers. Maybe Howden will be your saving grace?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

mathonwy wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... hl-wp15521

I think Florida has become our defacto farm team.... muahahahah....

(No disrespect to the Chicago Moose) :thumbs:

--

http://nhlhotstove.com/tallon-sends-mes ... o-canucks/

I know you are just kidding here but some folks around the league have been making similar comments and it's pure nonsense.

The idea that MG is "bending Talon over" in the trades they continue to make is very silly.

The reality is that Talon and Gills seem to an incredibly good working relationship and both are able to meet the need of their teams which have entirely different goals and objectives.

Tallon is trying to keep his teams head above water financially while he builds a stable of young players, Gillis is flush with cash and is trying to win a cup now.

It ends up being a great match and the 2 GM's obviously trust each other which allows them to discuss various proposals with out the worry of info being leaked to the press. The fact Gillis had been interested in Booth for 6 months and the Canucks announced the deal before any other source is a testament to that.

As far as booth goes it really shouldn't be a surprise we acquired him, and frankly I'm not sure why more of us weren't talking about it.

He seems to be a fit in terms of what Gillis looks for in acquisitions and with all the trades we seem to do with Florida, Booth was actually a fairly obvious target.

The Canucks have been trying to add a physical top6 guy for a while and that hole was never more obvious then in the series against the Bruins.

I think Booths lack of fighting skill made him a less obvious target to most fans, but it seems clear that Gillis places very little value on that side of things.

Booth is big, young, strong, fast, disciplined, and he can play in the dirty areas. If Booth can get his game back on track he is prety much exactly what we were missing last year.
Last edited by Potatoe1 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Potatoe1 wrote:
mathonwy wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... hl-wp15521

I think Florida has become our defacto farm team.... muahahahah....

(No disrespect to the Chicago Moose) :thumbs:

--

http://nhlhotstove.com/tallon-sends-mes ... o-canucks/

I know you are just kidding here but some folks around the league have been making similar comments and it's pure nonsense.
Which I obviously am ... in a Canucks-typically-win-the-trades-with-Florida kind of way.
Potatoe1 wrote: I think Booths lack of fighting skill made him a less obvious target to most fans, but it seems clear that Gillis places very little value on that side of things.
There you go talking about the fighting thing again. I don't see anyone talking about fighting except for you. Why do you got fighting on the brain Pots?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

mathonwy wrote:
There you go talking about the fighting thing again. I don't see anyone talking about fighting except for you. Why do you got fighting on the brain Pots?
:lol:
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I've heard the MG speech about players getting theirgame back together after injury before ( Ballard + Sturm ) lets hope Booth has his game back together. If there's one constant in hockey it's "what have you done lately " This is a huge gamble with a long expensive contract that will impact on the team for seasons to come. I assume Raymond might now be moved once he's ready to go
cheers
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Fun fact about Booth... he was selected with the Calgary Flames 2004 2nd round pick:

March 8, 2004
To Calgary: Marcus Nilson
To Florida: 2004 second round pick (#53 - David Booth)

Although Nilson was useful in the 2004 Calgary playoff run, it will be fun to remember this trade if Booth fits in well with Vancouver.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

i am good with this deal...time will tell...
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Everything has basically been covered, but I also look at it as high-risk/high reward.

As others have said, Booth is the type of 2-way, physical forward we've been missing. It was pretty obvious this team needed another top 6 winger with some physicality, speed, ability in the dirty areas and 2-way ability. He's not a power forward in the sense that he's 6'2, nasty and someone who regularly fights.

But he plays really hard, lays the body and is a very strong player.

He reminds me of Raymond in a sense with his speed, the way he rushes the puck, as well as his inconsistent hands, although he's been a 20 goal scorers 3 times already and would have had at least 20 had he not been concussed by Richards. I don't see him regressing like Raymond did last year, but he is a player who takes a lot of shots and doesn't have the greatest shooting percentage. Booth has obviously been more consistent than Raymond and is a much tougher and more physical.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't remain a 20 goal scorer, but he has to score 25-30 consistently to justify that cap hit. I think this trade wouldn't have happened if Gillis would have had to give up any real tangible assets.

The key to the trade is getting the top 6 forward we've been after without moving Cody, Schneider, any picks or any other of our top prospects/young players. This gives Gillis a ton of flexibility to make other moves.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:"

I assume the draft pick was one we gave up in the Ballard trade, but I am not certain, if so that's good news. Gillis values those draft picks more, never a bad thing
I assumed wrong, the pick was from the Higgins trade, my bad..