Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts

Post by Canuck-One »

I don't think anyone would disagree that Sturm was not earning his money. He was slower, weaker and lacking in scoring prowess, more than any of us expected. Sammy had run his course here. There was a great many where he just passed the puck to the wrong jersey, leading to a shorthanded play or at the very least a loss of possession. If he wasn't shooting the puck his decision making left a lot to be desired.

Booth has had a history of concussions and that always sends up red flags. Can he regain his 20 + goals a season or even improve on it with a good team? He has great wheels and isn't afraid to bash and crash. He reminds me of Higgins when he is playing without the fuzziness in his head.

Reinprecht is simply a throw in by Florida to dump salary and I'm sure that's why a 3rd rounder was included to sweeten the taste a little for the cost to go down. I'm not saying a player of his skill level won't come in handy if the injury bug bites somewhere down the stretch but for the foreseeable future he is in Chicago.

I'm surprised at the Cody to Chicago comments. I think this kid is almost right there. He seems to be improving with every game and is looking great. By the end of the season people won't be thinking he doesn't belong as they will be cheering him on. Does anyone know if he is still considered a rookie at this stage of his career?
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Rudypoo wrote: At face value (and based on MG's comments), this move would also seem to indicate that the Canucks don't believe CoHo is ready. Along with moving out Sturm, that seems like two hasty decisions to me.
I don't think this deal speaks to Hodgson's readiness at all. Sturm and Sammy were earning big money and playing like shit and somebody was willing to take them off our hands for the type of player this team desperately needs.
I jumped the gun on that one, the first comments I saw from MG indicated that Booth will be getting a spot with Kesler and Higgins. It still sounds like that's what will happen, but Gillis also said that CoHo is still in the mix. Guess we'll see.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Rumsfeld wrote:I wonder if the cash-strapped Panthers getting to unload Reinprecht's contract was a closer on this deal.

It just seems like a dumb hockey trade for Florida. Not that we haven't seen that movie before.
Indeed. The cap space is a wash, but Florida sheds 2m in actual dollars, and that matters to them a lot more than to us.

For 4m in cap space, Florida now has two NHLers where they used to have but one. I suppose that makes sense for them? :eh:

I don't see how reducing the number of NHLers on our roster is a bad thing for silent G.

I know very little about Booth but I'm cautiously optimistic. 82 games and 23 goals on a shitty team last year, not bad!
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Corb wrote:I think it is pretty laughable to think that a potential UFA's would view Sturm's trade as a deciding factor on not wanting to play here. I think, even they, would see that he's sucked balls.
YOu also have to believe that Gillis isn't stupid and he talked to Sturm and told him he was going to get him into a situation he would play.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

My guess is that they'll put Malhotra on the wing and have Hodgson center the third line. Hodgson played well centering a line and the move to the wing while early does suggest he is better at center.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The scoop on the deal is that the Canucks have been trying for two seasons to get this guy. They want him to play with Kesler and think he can regain his plus 20+ goals.

The other point is that Raymond is far far from coming back and with Strum and Samuelsson just not cutting it MG wanted to make a major shake up now before the slow start becomes a slow season.

Reinprecht (sp) is great centre insurance for the 4th or 4th line and if injuries prevail he can be an injury call up.

The third round pick is a mystery and great for MG that he was able to get that thrown in.

We save around 500,000 on the cap which is also always a good thing.

It does seem that once again Cody will be the odd man out. He didn't play much today and one has to wonder if he is on the trade block as well.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lot of cap space tied up in a guy who may turn into a 30 goal scorer. I don't hate the deal as the Canucks relieved themselves of two useless scrubs but Booth's contract may turn into a boat anchor.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Apparently pecklund has Turris coming here as well. Unless he is coming with Doan I see him as redundant.

Hodgson, Schneider, something for Turris and Doan ??? Yeah right :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

tantalum wrote:
Corb wrote:I think it is pretty laughable to think that a potential UFA's would view Sturm's trade as a deciding factor on not wanting to play here. I think, even they, would see that he's sucked balls.
YOu also have to believe that Gillis isn't stupid and he talked to Sturm and told him he was going to get him into a situation he would play.
...like when Sturm committed to Vancouver 6 weeks ago? ;)

Whatever, even IF this has any impact on future signings I suppose we'll all have to live without UFA's the calibre of Marco Sturm.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Booth regained his 20+ goal form last year. Sure it was somewhat a lacklustre year for him but the guy can put the puck in the net.
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

From The Globe & Mail:
Gillis also said that he wasn’t concerned with the remaining term on Booth’s contract -- three years and $13.75-million (all currency U.S.) -- and he has long been a favourite of Canucks chairman Francesco Aquilini.
Meddling? Yeesh, I hope not.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I like the deal and I think it makes us stronger....people are talking about Hodgson getting squeezed out of the picture, the guy who really should be concerned is Raymond. At best he is now a 3rd line centre...when he comes back...the way Higgins is playing he will possibly be on the 4th line or on his way out via a trade.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Turris rumour is interesting but I don't see a fit for him here right now. Unless we put him on the 3rd line and move Manny to wing that is. I don't really know if he is an upgrade over Hodgson but in all honesty I haven't really seen him play. He is young enough at 22-23 but he hasn't grabbed a top job in Phoenix so how would he fare here in Vancouver?

But you gotta wonder with Cody being benched in the third if his time is about up in Vancouver, at least for now. Maybe Hodgson straight up for Turris, both get a change of scenery, both top draft picks.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:I like the deal and I think it makes us stronger....people are talking about Hodgson getting squeezed out of the picture, the guy who really should be concerned is Raymond. At best he is now a 3rd line centre...when he comes back...the way Higgins is playing he will possibly be on the 4th line or on his way out via a trade.

I think the prognosis on Raymond retuning this season is cautious at best. He is a long way from getting back into the line up. Maybe this trade acknowledges this. But if and when he comes back he will make our 3rd line faster. :D
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Raymond isn't tradeable right now or likely at all this year. His position is safe and he will be given the chance to FULLY heal before they even think about putting him the lineup. When he gets into the lineup he will be looking at a 4th line bottom 6 role for a time until things come back. But there will likely be injuries as well up front where he will get to play. Raymond is safe for the year. In the offseason who knows. At least IMHO.