Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts + Various Rumours

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks Acquire David Booth & Parts

Post by Boston Canucker »

Wow, it's about who gets the best player in a deal, and we got him, giving up no prospects, crazy. It will wash out to only a half mill cap save this year, but jeepers, he's only 26, get him going to his potential and you've nabbed a top 6 forward for next to nothing, great!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I wonder if the cash-strapped Panthers getting to unload Reinprecht's contract was a closer on this deal.

It just seems like a dumb hockey trade for Florida. Not that we haven't seen that movie before.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Hank wrote:What?! 4.25 million for a marginal player who's stats are padded on the awful Florida Panthers, to play on our 2nd and 3rd lines until 2015? And we lose two vets who are capable of scoring 25+ goals? What a shitty trade! I'm going to bitch all year about this!

(tongue planted firmly in cheek)
At least this time Gillis didn't give up a Calder Trophy candidate and a 1st round pick for a risky long contract.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
Hank wrote:What?! 4.25 million for a marginal player who's stats are padded on the awful Florida Panthers, to play on our 2nd and 3rd lines until 2015? And we lose two vets who are capable of scoring 25+ goals? What a shitty trade! I'm going to bitch all year about this!

At least this time Gillis didn't give up a Calder Trophy candidate and a 1st round pick for a risky long contract.

S_C
Good Lord. :crazy:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Corb wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:

S_C
It's happening again! :o
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

So many subplots for a deal involving marginal 2nd liners!

-Surprised Gillis would deal Sturm so quickly after signing him. A (minor) red flag for future UFA's looking at Vancouver?
-Also surprised Sammy would get traded when the coaching staff so obviously considers him an important component on the PP point. More time opened up for KB4? Knowing AV, my money's on Malhotra getting the nod.
-Canucks obviously got the most potential upside with Booth. Can't argue with that...and it seems that when we acquire "iron men" they inevitably get injured anyway, so why not pick up a guy with serious injury concerns and see how things work out?
-Speaking of Booth, how long before he hears it from the fans for not living up to his cap hit? :lol:
-From the outside looking in, Sammy sure appeared to be a huge part of the leadership group. That could be a hurtful loss. I also believe he was still capable of repeating his 2009-10 playoff performance so there's a potential downside.

All in all, a very MG type trade in it's calculated riskiness. I give it the thumbs up, as long as Booth pots 40 :mrgreen:

*EDIT

At face value (and based on MG's comments), this move would also seem to indicate that the Canucks don't believe CoHo is ready. Along with moving out Sturm, that seems like two hasty decisions to me.
Last edited by Rudypoo on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

A dumb guy who knows absolutely nothing suggested 6 hours ago Vancouver has a deal for Turris in place, pending on another deal with FLA to open up cap space.

Well, the first trade has taken place. I just don't see Gillis making a serious pitch for a kid who would be redundant on a roster loaded with centre depth. Why? Becuase he's a local kid and former top pick?

Fuck Turris, target Shane Doan!!
Last edited by BladesofSteel on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Corb wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:

S_C
It's happening again! :o
Lol! Is anyone surprised?
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

I think it is pretty laughable to think that a potential UFA's would view Sturm's trade as a deciding factor on not wanting to play here. I think, even they, would see that he's sucked balls.
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Hank wrote:
Lol! Is anyone surprised?
Marco Sturm? :D
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

BladesofSteel wrote:A dumb guy who knows absolutely nothing suggested 6 hours ago Vancouver has a deal with Turris in place pending on whether they can open up cap space through a deal with FLA.

Well, the first trade has taken place. I just don't see Gillis making a serious pitch for a kid who would be redundant on a roster loaded with centre depth. Why? Becuase he's a local kid and former top pick?

Fuck Turris, target Shane Doan!!
Yeah, I don't see it. We're loaded at center and we barely cleared any cap space with this deal. But ADGWKAN's track record is pretty impressive...
Rudypoo
CC Veteran

Post by Rudypoo »

Corb wrote:I think it is pretty laughable to think that a potential UFA's would view Sturm's trade as a deciding factor on not wanting to play here. I think, even they, would see that he's sucked balls.
I think they will look at the fact that the Canucks are trying to win, and that (along with $$$ obviously) will be the deciding factor.

But there's a certain element there of not giving a guy a legitimate chance to play his way into form.

That's why I said it may be a minor consideration.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Rudypoo wrote: At face value (and based on MG's comments), this move would also seem to indicate that the Canucks don't believe CoHo is ready. Along with moving out Sturm, that seems like two hasty decisions to me.
I don't think this deal speaks to Hodgson's readiness at all. Sturm and Sammy were earning big money and playing like shit and somebody was willing to take them off our hands for the type of player this team desperately needs.

I would have been shocked to hear Gillis was offered this deal and didn't take it.

I think Booth is going to be great here.

I'm off to get hammered.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

When it comes to SC all threads must eventually turn into the Ballard-Grabner trade. It's the canuck board version of Godwin's Law.

Gillis traded an aging spare part who just didn't fit in (so be it) and an aging support player who has been injured and showing uninspired play for sometime for a guy who at worst will be a support player but MAY develop into a core player.

It's a win.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

By all indication a great deal by Gillis IMO.

Sturm might as well not even played he was so unnoticable and Samuelsson has been kind of "meh" following his off season surgery, and before it, too.

I like
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.