GDT: Canucks vs Predators | Oct 20 @ 7pm | SNET-VAN, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks vs Predators | Oct 20 @ 7pm | SNET-VAN, 104

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Weise needs to go introduce himself to Tootoo.
What have you got against Weise ?

If he fights Tootoo he likely leaves on a stretcher . Pretty sad that the little chindian just mopped the floor with the Canucks toughest player.
How is it sad, Tootoo is as tough as they come in the 200lb range.
It's sad because I fucking hate Tootoo. I'd like to see someone cave his face in.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

old calamari wrote:anybody notice vignault going after ballard on the bench? would like to be a fly on the wall in the preds room after the game.. weber looked pissed all night.
Yup, totally noticed that. I hope it was to praise him and not to tell him that Rome is healing ahead of schedule. I was wondering why AV would wade in there and do Bones' job? I never see him going after his other d-men even though KB4 has totally outplayed KB3 since they were paired up (and probably even before then) all the while getting 5th dman minutes.

"6 recorded blocks, 3 hits, no PP time, another minus. I hate you Ballard. I'm only playing you because the boss has given me no choice. You're Trevor Linden to me. By the way, Magic40 scored another goal."

Weber is pissed because he can't get out of Music City sooner.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

coco_canuck wrote:
How much has Cody increased his trade value? Can Cody help fetch us a more suitable winger for Kesler?
I think it's a bit early to assume Hodgson will not be able to transition to the wing. I agree that it does not seem like the best fit given the strengths and weaknesses of the player but I think his skating and board play will most likely improve over time.

Although the 4th is starting to look like a reliable line, Lappy would make the 3rd an even better line.
In the short term Lappy has already shown enough to bump Malholtra. I'm also starting to see him as a better fit long term as well.

Manny is clearly struggling and it's a bit unfair to just him this early but even if you compare the Manny we saw pre injury to the Lappy we see now I think Lappy might be the better fir for the top 9. Max just seems to have a lot more bite to his game and the top9 could use the extra physicality. Further to that I think Max is the better offensive player.

With Higgens looking like the clear favourite for the second line the 3rd unit will have 2 of Hansen / Sturm / Raymond / or Sammy, so it's not likely to be the pure defensive group we saw last year.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Interesting to see yappy lappy dropping the mits this year. This is a good development IMO, and he was un-lucky not to get a goal. His skating looks even better this year. It'll be interesting to see him with Pinizotto and Weisse.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thoughts on last night's game:

Shea Weber would look awesome in a Canuck uniform!!!

I think Shanny might give him 1-2 nights off for this though:

____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Last night, I felt that it wasn't so much that the Canucks were playing all that well, rather, it was the Preds playing like pussies.

When:

- Tootoo (8:27 TOI) and Halischuk (13:36 TOI) are your most effective forwards
- you're playing against the SC finalists who ousted you in Spring
- you get outshot 40 to 26
- you get beat 5-1

You know you're in trouble.

Mad props to noneck for calling it like it is. His team sucked balls and was an embarrassment last night. Plain and simple.

Let's hope Preds seriously tank this season so we can sign Weber in the summer.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Hank wrote: "6 recorded blocks, 3 hits, no PP time, another minus. I hate you Ballard. I'm only playing you because the boss has given me no choice. You're Trevor Linden to me. By the way, Magic40 scored another goal."

Weber is pissed because he can't get out of Music City sooner.
Magic40 so far has actually been all sorts of shit for the Islanders this young season from what I've seen. 2 goals both at nothing times of the game (when it was 4-1 Isles midway through the third and when down by 3 halfway through the third last night). Only 6 shots through 5 games (4 in one game, 1 in two games and shotless twice). Not the guy who was using his speed to such great advantage the back half of last year and firing 5 shots a night. In fact while he still looks above average in speed he does not look like the speed demon he did last year. Of course we know that his history has him not reaching his playing weight until halfway through the season.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

NHL fines NSH's Shea Weber $2,500.

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/st ... 9986723841

LOL Weber earns $2,500 X 3,000 per season!!

That's like fining Skyo 10 bucks!
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote:NHL fines NSH's Shea Weber $2,500.

http://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie/st ... 9986723841

LOL Weber earns $2,500 X 3,000 per season!!

That's like fining Skyo 10 bucks!

Looks like Hansen going to be taking a LOT more of those from Weber at that low, low price.

I'd pay $2500 to ram Marchand's face into the boards.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:That's like fining Skyo 10 bucks!
You are confusing Weber with Tootoo.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote:That's like fining Skyo 10 bucks!
You are confusing Weber with Tootoo.
How many bucks?? Now I could see me confuse Skyo with Tootoo but...
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote: I think it's a bit early to assume Hodgson will not be able to transition to the wing. I agree that it does not seem like the best fit given the strengths and weaknesses of the player but I think his skating and board play will most likely improve over time.
I wasn't assuming he won't be able to make the transition, but since we're in a window to win the cup, and we do need another legit top 6 forward, he may be our most realistic and valuable trade chip.
Potatoe1 wrote: Manny is clearly struggling and it's a bit unfair to just him this early but even if you compare the Manny we saw pre injury to the Lappy we see now I think Lappy might be the better fir for the top 9. Max just seems to have a lot more bite to his game and the top9 could use the extra physicality. Further to that I think Max is the better offensive player.
I have a lot of time for Manny, but at the moment he's struggling, and as much as I hope he can find his game from last year, it's a question mark at this point.

Agreed about Lappy's game and fit on the team. He played very well in Manny's role in the playoffs and looks even more comfortable and confident so far this year.

I'm also very happy with Higgins' game and he looks to be a mainstay on the 2nd line.Talk about great value getting Higgins and Lapierre for two 3rd round picks and Evan Oberg.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I guess we'll now see if Shanahan is going to be the unbiased disciplinarian that his predecessor was not, or if he is going to give a star player a pass on what was a very dangerous, uncalled for, and somewhat late (for NHL's definition of late see Rome on Horton) hit from behind.

My money is on Weber getting a pass on this for 2 reasons: 1-he has no history of being a dirty player, just tough and physical, and, 2-he is Nashville's only star player outside of the crease.

I don't even throw Shanahan under the bus for this either way, he's in a tough position and I'm sure Betman & Co. will be directing him to consider (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) the $$$ and state of the Predator's organization etc.....

As for the rest of the game, I didn't get to see it, just caught the highlights, I'm fairly impressed though by the stats, getting 40 SOG against a stingy Nashville defesive system is no small feat in an of itself, scoring 4 goals in the first period and chasing Pekke Rinne is also noteworthy. Dismayed to hear the Vigneault went after Ballard on the bench, anyone care to elaborate on what that was (allegedly) for? I've rarely ever seen Vigneault get upset at one of his own players on the bench, hell, even when Rypien (may he RIP) went after the fan in Minnesota, AV still kept his cool, and I have never seen him go after Rome, Alberts, Glass, Demitra, or Samuelsson, for, well for anything really, and all of those guys have screwed up ROYALLY many times over, and they are often repeat offenders too. Since the start of this season I actually think Ballard has been one of our most consistent players, and certainly our most consistent defenseman other than perhaps Salo. At the very least, based on his play so far, Ballard deserves to be considered a top 3 defenseman here.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

coco_canuck wrote: I wasn't assuming he won't be able to make the transition, but since we're in a window to win the cup, and we do need another legit top 6 forward, he may be our most realistic and valuable trade chip.
I think Schneider is the far better option.

I wonder about Hodgson in the short term but he's shown enough early to make one fairly optimistic about his long term impact. It's quite clear he has the high end offensive ability the team needs, he just needs to get bigger, stronger, faster, etc. We likely wont get equal value until he gets measurable results and if he gets those then we wouldn't trade him anyway.

Schneider on the other hand has basically no future with this club and has about as good a track record as he can get while playing in the back up role.

Gillis should keep Hodgson, let him continue to develop, and move Schneider for a quality forward who can help in the short term.
Agreed about Lappy's game and fit on the team. He played very well in Manny's role in the playoffs and looks even more comfortable and confident so far this year.

I'm also very happy with Higgins' game and he looks to be a mainstay on the 2nd line. Talk about great value getting Higgins and Lapierre for two 3rd round picks and Evan Oberg.
Yup, and the moves at the deadline last year are the only reason I'm not jumping around but what has to be considered a fairly terrible off season by GMMG.

If we can continue to get quality depth for 3rd round picks then who cares. I consider 3rd rounders to be very low value assets and have no problem trading them year after year if it brings back quality depth players. The fact we were able to get serviceable players on cheap contracts for several years is pretty incredible.

There is probably less then a 10% chance you will ever get a player as good as Chris Higens with a 3rd round pick so the fact we get him for essentialy 3 years can only be considered a huge win.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote:I guess we'll now see if Shanahan is going to be the unbiased disciplinarian that his predecessor was not, or if he is going to give a star player a pass on what was a very dangerous, uncalled for, and somewhat late (for NHL's definition of late see Rome on Horton) hit from behind.

My money is on Weber getting a pass on this for 2 reasons: 1-he has no history of being a dirty player, just tough and physical, and, 2-he is Nashville's only star player outside of the crease.
Weber got a pass.

So yeah...