Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Topper »

CFP! wrote:Any spice it up renditions for tacos/burritos?

Gonna mix it up with a man roast tomorrow. Lots of root veg and garlic along side and hoping to make some nice gravy for yorkshire.

Any leamans recipes would be great too.
Start with home made tortillas. Cumin is good with chicken, try smoke paprika with pork, rosemary/thyme/juniper with beef. Salsa fresca. A cheese mixture of jalapeno monterrey jack, riccotta, asiago

Crust your roast with herbs and then cook at high heat 400 to 400+. Use fennel as one of your root veggies. Push cloves of garlic into the meat.

What the hell is a leamans?

Made pizza tonight. Thin crust, a skiff of home made tomato sauce, red onions, chorizo, sun dried black olives, anchovies, shaved fennel, roasted garlic basil and fresh tomatoes. A thin scattering of cheese (asiago, edam, mozzarella). Washed down with a cheap bottle of California Zin
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:
CFP! wrote:What the hell is a leamans?
I think that's Indian for "layman's".
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Topper wrote:
CFP! wrote:Any spice it up renditions for tacos/burritos?

Gonna mix it up with a man roast tomorrow. Lots of root veg and garlic along side and hoping to make some nice gravy for yorkshire.

Any leamans recipes would be great too.
Start with home made tortillas. Cumin is good with chicken, try smoke paprika with pork, rosemary/thyme/juniper with beef. Salsa fresca. A cheese mixture of jalapeno monterrey jack, riccotta, asiago

Crust your roast with herbs and then cook at high heat 400 to 400+. Use fennel as one of your root veggies. Push cloves of garlic into the meat.

Didn't use fennel tonight, but am intrigued with it. Have NEVER cooked with it, but seen it used before. Roast turned out spectacular, gravy even better. As for the crust on the roast, do you coat the roast in EVOO prior? Or just use the moisture from the roast?

As for the homemade tortillas I'm not going to purchase a press at this time, maybe later....but not right now. My seasoning does incorporate cumin and chili etc etc. I was hoping you would hit that one outta that park Tops!
CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by CFP! »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Topper wrote:
CFP! wrote:What the hell is a leamans?
I think that's Indian for "layman's".
Why pick on Indians?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

CFP! wrote:Didn't use fennel tonight, but am intrigued with it. Have NEVER cooked with it, but seen it used before. Roast turned out spectacular, gravy even better. As for the crust on the roast, do you coat the roast in EVOO prior? Or just use the moisture from the roast?
I combine the herbs with evo to make a paste.
CFP! wrote:As for the homemade tortillas I'm not going to purchase a press at this time, maybe later....but not right now. My seasoning does incorporate cumin and chili etc etc. I was hoping you would hit that one outta that park Tops!
Corn tortillas, the ones some folks use a press for, can be made by shaping the tortilla between two pieces of plastic with a your hands or a rolling pin. If you must use a press, put a sheet of plastic on the counter, place your ball of dough on the plastic and cover with another sheet of plastic, then press it with the bottom of a pot or fry pan. Mrs Topper just uses her hands. For flour tortillas, she lightly oils the counter top and then shapes the tortillas with her hands.

As for tacos and donkeys, Mrs Topper is from Belize, the food is Mayan derived not socal-tex-mex.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I did a quick roast the other day, crusted with smoked paprika. The next night, Mrs Topper made some corn tortillas about 4" diameter, we dices some of the roast and heated it with caramelized onions, added salsa fresca, guacamole and grated cheese for some fantastic tacitos.

Tonight however is a diner for friends who helped us out immensely when we last moved.

Eggplant Soup with herbed goat cheese raviolini

Ratatouille vegetable tien, mixed seafood, chorizo and olive ragu, smoked black cod

Lemon creme brulee with cinnamon sugar

'05 Note Bene

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:I did a quick roast the other day, crusted with smoked paprika. The next night, Mrs Topper made some corn tortillas about 4" diameter, we dices some of the roast and heated it with caramelized onions, added salsa fresca, guacamole and grated cheese for some fantastic tacitos.

Tonight however is a diner for friends who helped us out immensely when we last moved.

Eggplant Soup with herbed goat cheese raviolini

Ratatouille vegetable tien, mixed seafood, chorizo and olive ragu, smoked black cod

Lemon creme brulee with cinnamon sugar

'05 Note Bene

Mmmm sounds good... now I'm hungry! lol
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Damn, but those tortillas do sound good. My abs are getting pretty pissed about this thread.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Fuck it, decided smoked black cod was just going to fight with the ragu, going with cod fillets instead.

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

So I brined a chicken the other day and then roasted it pretty much the same way Topper described a few years back (rosemary tyme, onions, lemon, garlic, in cavity, spices under the skin), and I have to say it is the best roast chicken I have ever eaten.

I dont know if I just got lucky or the brine truly makes that much difference but I couldn't believe how good it was. So moist and the salty flavor of the brine seemed to be on every piece of chicken. Not only that but it cooked to 178ish in just over an hour which seems a lot faster then normal.

I will never cook another bird with our bathing it first.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Potatoe1 wrote: I will never cook another bird with our bathing it first.
That's how I feel about most of my dates.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Last nights dinner. 3 hour braised beef shoulder (browned roast, mire poix, in a dutch over with beef stock, wine, tomato garlic, bouquet garni). Rosemary gnocchi (flesh of 6 small baked potatoes passed through a ricer, 2 eggs ~1/2C flour, chopped rosemary - rolled out, cut and turned on a fork). Grilled rappini (big pot blanched and grilled). Stilton demi (reduced braising liquid, thickened with stilton).

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Spot prawn season has arrived :thumbs:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Grill them and use them in a salad with grapefruit and citrus vinaigrette.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Last nights dinner. 3 hour braised beef shoulder (browned roast, mire poix, in a dutch over with beef stock, wine, tomato garlic, bouquet garni). Rosemary gnocchi (flesh of 6 small baked potatoes passed through a ricer, 2 eggs ~1/2C flour, chopped rosemary - rolled out, cut and turned on a fork). Grilled rappini (big pot blanched and grilled). Stilton demi (reduced braising liquid, thickened with stilton).
What's the nutritional value of said dinner you fat fuck :P or are you all aboard the Cholesterol bandwagon 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)