GDT: Oct 18: Canucks vs Rangers - 7:00pm, TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Oct 18: Canucks vs Rangers - 7:00pm, TSN

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:
GoalieDad wrote:My first post.
I just had to find some way to vent some steam about our goalie situation. As my handle suggests, I am an "old" goalie, who's learned the "new" way to play so I can help my son in his development. I'm also an original Canucks fan ... I was in Grade 1 when Dale Tallon became my defacto first hockey hero, and I've suffered through EVERYTHING since.
The situation with Luongo is driving me nuts. We've got an abundantly capable Schneider who I'm hoping will get to start at least a couple in a row now.
Anywho, that's my first post. For those who are underwhelmed by it just remember, it's only October. I won't really get in my message-board groove until next month.
Welcome, you're mostly amongst friends here...and we feel your pain.
Schneider should be in line for a start rather soon I'd say.
You old goalies gotta stick together eh Clam? ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Benjo wrote: The Canucks took a beating in front of the net and slowly started to shy away from it as the game wore on.
Ah yes the old 'toughness factor'. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Hotter babes need to be seated behind AV.
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
dchrist2 wrote:I understand all the calls for Sami on the 1st line powerplay, but am I the only one who remembers when it has been tried in the past and hasn't exactly lit the world on fire? I mean both the Sedins and Sami have been around for awhile, this has been tried before, and if it had worked really well, don't you think they would have kept with it?

I think the bigger concern is you don't want Sami blasting from the point with the Sedins and Kesler sitting in front. Big time risk for an injury with that shot. Let Burrows or Higgins take those shots, they are a little more replaceable. In fact, I seem to remember the last time Sami was on the 1st unit a few years ago he hit someone, and then for the rest of the year couldn't hit the net because he was too scared to hit and injure another one of our top players.

That said, Samuelsson definitely needs to get off the point. I know we were somehow better with him back there last year, but this is a new year and he hasn't shown he can handle it.
Samuelsson took Edler's spot last year on the PP for something like a 40 game sample. The league's top powerplay did score at an even greater clip with him on the point.

I know there's frustration with Samuelsson, but a 40 game sample shows he is a good fit there. A 6 game sample should not prove the opposite. Especially taking into account Kesler was out the first 5 games.

Again, I understand the frustration, but this team became an elite team largely based on patience. I don't see any changes happening anytime soon.

I agree that Samuelsson was good in that spot for parts of last season.

That said, he is clearly lagging out of the gate not just on the power play but basically in every other way as well. The first unit power play is critical to the success of the team and sticking with a guy that is struggling is a major detriment to the teams short term success.

Salo has also had a great deal of success with the Sedins on the power play and he is currently at the top of his game.

I don't mind AV but one criticism that I agree on is how slow he is to make changes. When something isn't working or when a specific player isn't playing well he takes far too long to react.

The Sammy / Salo swap seems blatantly obvious and should have been made prior to last nights game.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

AV obviously wants Sammy to let that thing go everytime it touches his stick. He does have a hell of a release on the one-timer snap-shot.

I noticed that after Sammy looked tentative and coughed it up a few times, the next couple PPs he was just firing it every time he got it... which was an improvement, but a lot of the shots had no traffic whatsoever. AV must've had a chat with him about getting it on net.

The way Salo has been bombing it so far this season, it seems a travesty he doesn't get first-unit minutes... especially considering he'll be on the shelf within two weeks anyway. May as well capitalize on his howitzer while we can.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I don't recall Sammy having a 40 game audition on the PP last year. I do recall a 1st PP unit with two left-handed bombs with Edler and Ehrhoff and a 2nd unit with two right-handed bombs with Salo and Bieksa. That's why it was so fucking good, some folks can think at a higher level than others.

The problem with Sammy is his decision-making has always been suspect and his neediness with the puck causes everything to bog down. Top that off with his defensive effort and you see why in 2+ seasons here, he can't stay on one line consistently without being moved every few games or so. If he just played to his strengths which is pop into positions to use his great shot, then everyone would benefit. Alas, him and Raymond hog the puck too much and don't know what to do with it. Less is so much more.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hank wrote:I don't recall Sammy having a 40 game audition on the PP last year. I do recall a 1st PP unit with two left-handed bombs with Edler and Ehrhoff and a 2nd unit with two right-handed bombs with Salo and Bieksa. That's why it was so fucking good, some folks can think at a higher level than others.
Due to injuries and cap considerations, Salo and Edler were not in the line up at the same time until the playoffs.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper wrote: Due to injuries and cap considerations, Salo and Edler were not in the line up at the same time until the playoffs.
You're right, my recollection is about as shitty as Sammy's inspired play.
old calamari
CC Veteran

Post by old calamari »

hello new guy here.. frustrated with last nights game, havent seen fans this edgy with the team in years.. btw like this site.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I still can't believe NY got such a solid prospect in McDonagh in the Gomez salary dump to Montreal.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

old calamari wrote:hello new guy here.. frustrated with last nights game, havent seen fans this edgy with the team in years.. btw like this site.
aging squid?....interesting..lol

its the canucks...fans are always on edge...if we dont who will??

rats19
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

If Luongo hasn't let a puck through this game would be still in action, shootout round 1479 and counting..... :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Per wrote:
darren wrote: It is poor reasoning to define every playoff defeat as a goaltending failure.... every year, there is only one good goaltender in the league?
Actually... I seem to recall half way through last season there was some Luongo-basher suggesting that there were no good goaltenders in the league. :hmmm:

Of course, when measured against those standards I can see why just being in the top five in most categories doesn't quite cut it. :?
LOL! I remember that. "So who would you want instead of Luongo"? The answers were Patrick Roy, Brodeur (but not the 2010 version of course), or Hasek. He wasn't asking much.