Sturm signed

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Sturm signed

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Arachnid wrote:When is young Ryan coming back? And who just who called for him to be Capitain last year? 8-)
Hey, let's take Henrik out and put Ryan in. Then let's see how many goals Kesler scores on the PP. Almost captain K was a minus 6 with 1 assist in the SCF. Guy is made of teflon when it comes to blame.
I'm not sure what "comes to blame" means, but it must mean when somebody has a torn hip labrum.
Please stop letting facts interferer with all the ranting.,
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

herb wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Arachnid wrote:When is young Ryan coming back? And who just who called for him to be Capitain last year? 8-)
Hey, let's take Henrik out and put Ryan in. Then let's see how many goals Kesler scores on the PP. Almost captain K was a minus 6 with 1 assist in the SCF. Guy is made of teflon when it comes to blame.
I'm not sure what "comes to blame" means, but it must mean when somebody has a torn hip labrum.
But, but, but wasn't Henrik hurt? Wasn't all of his falling down due to injury too? I guess last year was Kesler's first time in the playoffs. Either that or he was really MIA.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dhabums wrote: But, but, but wasn't Henrik hurt? Wasn't all of his falling down due to injury too? I guess last year was Kesler's first time in the playoffs. Either that or he was really MIA.
This is all a bit much.... NOBODY was good against the Bruins. Nobody important anyways.

Back on topic: Sturm has been garbage thus far. Might be too early to write him off yet, at least until Kesler is back... but at this rate Moneyball(puck) Gillis has struck out swinging on this guy. Lucky we're rich because I can see Sturm being out of the NHL by mid-November.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
dhabums wrote: But, but, but wasn't Henrik hurt? Wasn't all of his falling down due to injury too? I guess last year was Kesler's first time in the playoffs. Either that or he was really MIA.
This is all a bit much.... NOBODY was good against the Bruins. Nobody important anyways.

Back on topic: Sturm has been garbage thus far. Might be too early to write him off yet, at least until Kesler is back... but at this rate Moneyball(puck) Gillis has struck out swinging on this guy. Lucky we're rich because I can see Sturm being out of the NHL by mid-November.
Sturm just looks out of sync. Even easy plays don't look easy. 10-15 games is a minimum before we get to decide if he is going to come around. He really wasn't brought in as much more than a patch job anyways.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Sturm really has looked useless I must admit. I'll still reserve judgment though for a few more games but he just hasn't shown that he is even close to contributing to this team.
The only HW the Canucks need
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

I've watched him for 8 games - 3 pre-season and 5 regular season, and I totally don't get it - if the Canucks were going to waste $2.25M on Sturm, why not go after Upshall or Ward? or even Bergenheim? Sheesh.

I guess he was signed as a reclamation project, but reclamation projects do not usually get $2.25M.

I'm not surprised he was waived by the LA Kings.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Southern_Canuck wrote:I've watched him for 8 games - 3 pre-season and 5 regular season, and I totally don't get it - if the Canucks were going to waste $2.25M on Sturm, why not go after Upshall or Ward? or even Bergenheim? Sheesh.

I guess he was signed as a reclamation project, but reclamation projects do not usually get $2.25M.

I'm not surprised he was waived by the LA Kings.

S_C

My thoughts exactly. That's not exactly a cheap salary for someone with a lot to prove (a la Torres last year). I think they figured Sturm could replace Raymond until MayRay is healthy and then A) be waived or B) be a depth asset if producing. At this rate I'm not sure Sturm stays long enough to see Raymond in the dressing room...
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

The Canucks dont want to sign guys who are not a part of their core to multi year deals.

Upshall and Ward both got long term deals for big money and neither are significantly better then guys like Higgens or Hansen.

I think the pro scouting on Sturm was weak, but the move was very low risk especially if the Canucks are willing to eat his salary in the event that some type of trade is available. If it were a 2-year deal I would be in this thread ranting and raving, but on a 1 year deal I just don't care.

Personally I think Gillis is positioning for a big move on either Weber or Sutter next summer and wanted to maintain flexibility.

We will have an ass load of cap space with Sammy, Sturm, Raymond, and Salo all expiring, and we also seem to have a couple of young players ready to come in on the cheap.

We could make a guy like Sutter an "off your rocker" type of offer and still have the space to ice a deep roster.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Sturm wrote:"Yeah, the knees feel fine, everything feels good, so I just have to get it out of my head," he said. "I've got nothing to lose and I've just got to show what I've got."
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Note ... z1azYM4JAF
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Potatoe1 wrote:
We could make a guy like Sutter an "off your rocker" type of offer and still have the space to ice a deep roster.
Edler is up at the end of next season. He should be in line to become our highest paid d-man, assuming he continues to put up the numbers he's capable of. He's going to be getting 5+M on a long-term deal. Short of dealing one of Ballard, Bieksa or Hamhuis I don't see how we can afford an 8M guy like Weber (although it would be awesome).

On Sturm, I'm sure he wants to do well and prove himself. He did make a nice defensive play (I think blocking a shot) with time winding down vs. the Oilers, he'll get a good 10-15 games to show off... once Kesler is back there's some shifting to do.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

[quote="Island Nucklehead"]
Edler is up at the end of next season. He should be in line to become our highest paid d-man, assuming he continues to put up the numbers he's capable of. He's going to be getting 5+M on a long-term deal. Short of dealing one of Ballard, Bieksa or Hamhuis I don't see how we can afford an 8M guy like Weber (although it would be awesome).
[quote]

If the CBA stays status quo, it wont be a problem.

The players will keep taking the kicker the cap will go up 4+ mill per year.

We have also have most of 2nd and 3rd line type expiring over the next 2 years.

A new CBA could change everything though.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Edler is up at the end of next season. He should be in line to become our highest paid d-man, assuming he continues to put up the numbers he's capable of. He's going to be getting 5+M on a long-term deal. Short of dealing one of Ballard, Bieksa or Hamhuis I don't see how we can afford an 8M guy like Weber (although it would be awesome).
Well the obvious answer is trade Edler for RIGHT-SIDE Weber!

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Weber
Rome - Salo

Alberts
(Tanev playing top minutes for the Wolves, #1 callup)

Weber wants out of Nashville. Yeah he makes $7.5mil this year, but we sign him to an Ehrhoff-type deal = $4mil hit.

But of course we'd hafta also trade Lou to Florida (no place like home) for Markstrom + 1st.

And budda bing budda boom HELLO STANLEY!!! 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Edler is up at the end of next season. He should be in line to become our highest paid d-man, assuming he continues to put up the numbers he's capable of. He's going to be getting 5+M on a long-term deal. Short of dealing one of Ballard, Bieksa or Hamhuis I don't see how we can afford an 8M guy like Weber (although it would be awesome).
Well the obvious answer is trade Edler for RIGHT-SIDE Weber!

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Weber
Rome - Salo

Alberts
(Tanev playing top minutes for the Wolves, #1 callup)

Weber wants out of Nashville. Yeah he makes $7.5mil this year, but we sign him to an Ehrhoff-type deal = $4mil hit.

But of course we'd hafta also trade Lou to Florida (no place like home) for Markstrom + 1st.

And budda bing budda boom HELLO STANLEY!!! 8-)

Or sign Sutter, move Edler over.

Proceed to win Cup

Sutter / Edler
Hamhuis / Bieksa
Ballard / Tanev
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Suter
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Murph is reporting these lines in practice:

Twins-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Hodgson
Hansen-Malhotra-Samuelsson
Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise

No mention of Sturm

Ballard-Bieksa
Alberts-Salo
Hamhuis-Edler

Tanev assigned to Chicago

Based on practice, finally some logical coaching decisions based on actual performance? Let's see if that lasts during the game. The KB pairing might be a bit of an adventure. Edler needs the steadying influence of Hamhuis to get back to playing like Godzilla and not Bambi.