GDT: Oct 15: Canucks @ Oilers - 7pm - CBC, 1040

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Oct 15: Canucks @ Oilers - 7pm - CBC, 1040

Post by tantalum »

Not a hat trick but I wonder if they'll take the goal away. It should be credited to Hall.

Oilers have to play 60 minutes to beat a canucks team that is playing just terrible hockey everywhere. THe canucks can win by playing 20 minutes. Pretty much explains the difference between the two teams.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Luongo improving his save percentage with a scintillating 0.884 in this one. Meanwhile Schneider sits on the bench with his 0.935.

S_C
Simple solution: keep opponent to 15 shots or less.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

dhabums wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: Luongo improving his save percentage with a scintillating 0.884 in this one. Meanwhile Schneider sits on the bench with his 0.935.

S_C
And have to score 4 goals? Better keep them to 10 shots.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Great save Luo... Sturm almost gets burnt by Nugent-Hopkins..

Sturm is god damn useless out there.
Sturm is fucking awful.

Samuelsson is DUH out there.

Hansen is in need of some serious vitamin B shots

Why isn't everyone on the team skating with meaning and desire like Chris Higgins this year so far?

Malhotra is useless.

Bieksa is back in Dumbville again.

And Lou-Flop-O belly is flopping the ice again.

Nice fucking punch Volpatti returned with.
You're being a bed-wetter. You always hammer this team, but give them more than 4.5 games.

Sturm is an older player, coming off surgeries, he's on a new team. GIVE HIM 10 GAMES before passing judgment.

Samuelsson is one only 2 or 3 Canucks who has a nose for the net and will fire the puck, he is a useful cog in the machine.

Malhotra is not useless, the guy wins pretty much every draw he takes. Again he's an older player coming of a SERIOUS injury. Give him 8 to 10 Games before passing judgement.

Not sure where you are going with Bieksa.

I'll give you the Luongo stuff, but not based on tonight. Luongo is certainly overrated and overpaid but tonight's goals are not on Red Light Roberto.

Just take a few breaths, think about last season and note the similarities in the personnel, the coaching staff, the management and even the start. This team will be 100+ points and in the playoffs, fear not.

(And if we miss anyone, its Christian Erhoff.)
Hey Eternal Optimist Bed Shitter, nice job in the face off circle from your Mancrush Malhotra against the kid Nugent Hopkins. HE SUCKS LARGE!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote:

S_C

Well, according to his salary, 15 shots shouldn't be a problem for this Star-Studded Goaltender. LOU-FLOP-O
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Malhotra is 73% on faceoffs through 2 periods.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Higgins is a monster. Salo with two goals???

Geezes. Ehrhoff who?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I never thought I'd ever see something more creepy than how MaGuire fawns over 18 year old kids. And then CAME Mark Lee.

Amazing how quick the Oilers break down when you get precisely two good shifts in a row down low in the Oilers zone.
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

Afraid I'm going to have to rely on all y'alls analysis of the game... Drinking game tonight is a shot of wild turkey every time Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins' name rolls off the drooling tongue of Mark Lee.

Been BLIND drunk since the ten minute mark of the first period.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Paging Jannick Hansen. Pretty much useless so far this year. I guess he missed AVs doghouse last year and wants to return to it.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

20 minute canucks > 60 minute Oilers.

A victory for the canucks on Nugent-Hopkins day.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

tantalum wrote:
Amazing how quick the Oilers break down when you get precisely two good shifts in a row down low in the Oilers zone.
Well that's exactly it. The Canucks have (again) been 70% awful in this game. But this is the kind of game the Canucks would win last year. We'd stink the joint out, and still win the game.

Higgins was great. Salo was great. Sedins were themselves (pretty darned good). The rest of the team was meh, but you could see they're getting back into the swing of things. They're realizing that it's not going to be a cakewalk back to the finals, that they might have to block a shot or take a hit to get a win against a weaker team. The fact that's coming 5 games in can only be a good thing going forward.

Execution and timing is still a problem. But it will come with more games and the return of an important (re: Selke) player or two...
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

With all the shot blocking in the third it was almost as if the canucks simply said "enough of this shinny crap, let's show those kids what being in the NHL is all about". It was a good third period until a couple of tense moments at the end.

Those kids are very good players but the Oilers are SOOOOOO far away from being competitive as a team.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

tantalum wrote:20 minute canucks > 60 minute Oilers.

A victory for the canucks on Nugent-Hopkins day.

Ahem, RNH/Gretzky day.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Sloppy game again as the team still hasn't realized that the season has started. Oh well - take the 2 points and move on.

I'm trying to be patient with Sturm, but he's making it very hard.
Does anyone get excited when Hansen gets a breakaway?
The more I watch Luongo, the more I want to watch Schnieder.

Edmonton's Acne Line is going to be very dangerous in a couple of years.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."