GDT: Oct 12 - Canucks at Flyers - 4:30 PM - TSN, RIS

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Oct 12 - Canucks at Flyers - 4:30 PM - TSN, RIS

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:
Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Hansen-Kesler-Samuelsson
Higgins-Hodgson-Lapierre
Weise-Malhotra-Patti/Sturm/Ebbett
Over the first 3 games Hodgson has either been our 4th or 5th best forward depending on who you ask.

If he maintains that level of play through the rest of the games leading up to Keslers return then the Canucks will be forced to make one of the more dificult and interesting decisions we have seen in a while.

This team was essentially built around a 2-way kesler led second line, and an ultra defensive and hard nosed 3rd line.

Codys defensive game is fine but he really doesn't fit into the third group and given we have 2 of the best players in the league locking down the top2 center spots there is obviously no room there.

The easy thing to do would be to send him down to the AHL and just use him as an injury reserv, but if things remain the same in terms of his play that would seem incredibly unfair.
I would be more than unfair, it would a stupid move in terms of his development. Look how quickly Crosby matured as a rooking playing with Lemieux. Granted the situation was vastly different (and I'm not saying CoHo is another Crosby) as the Pen's were planning to build around Sid, but all the same, Hodgson is a young player who thinks the game very well at both ends, putting him back in the AHL will put him in a position where he is playing top minutes, but he won't be garnering experience like he would if he was practicing with the big boys and playing beside one of, if not the best two-way centers in the NHL.

Moving to the wing from C is not as much of a transition as people seem to think, especially in the Canuck's system where coming back on defense the first forward back fills that center role to a degree until the rest of the team in back in the zone, and then they adjust. Moving from the wing to center is a bigger switch as you have added responsibility. The only adjustment for Hodgson would be crashing the corners. Moreover, it's not always our center bringing the puck into the zone, we often carry it in up the wing and go from there, and that is a role in which Hodgson would excel if he has two savvy skaters in Kesler and Higgins to hit with the puck in a scoring position.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:Over the first 3 games Hodgson has either been our 4th or 5th best forward depending on who you ask.
More of an indictment of the rest of our forwards than cudus to Cody.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Aaronp18 wrote:It's clearly due to the number change.

Really who wants to be #39, I mean even with the stellar cast of characters that have sported that number in the past!! :roll:
Are you forgetting about the immortal Enrico Ciccone?!
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Hank wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:It's clearly due to the number change.

Really who wants to be #39, I mean even with the stellar cast of characters that have sported that number in the past!! :roll:
Are you forgetting about the immortal Enrico Ciccone?!
Nope, he's one of the elite good average hockey players guys to wear that number.

Enrico Ciccone, Dan Cloutier, Cody Hodgson, Brad Moran, Chris O'Sullivan.

Like I said - stellar!!
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:Over the first 3 games Hodgson has either been our 4th or 5th best forward depending on who you ask.
Not really,

Cody has been very good.

He deserves the Kudos.

That said as DBR pointed out, most young players have big problems with consistency, I think a dip is more likely then not.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote:
Regardless of whether Silent G is better than most of our other forwards or most of our other forwards are worse than Silent G, it probably means he's going to be around for awhile.

Most of the guys he is outperforming now are not known for consistency, so he might well outperform them later in the season even if the current state of affairs does not last.