Sturm signed

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Sturm signed

Post by rats19 »

Ok..is this pure speculation? Because this does get the juices going...are yoy saying he could be available before the deadline?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

rats19 wrote:Ok..is this pure speculation? Because this does get the juices going...are yoy saying he could be available before the deadline?
He's a UFA on a shitty team that needs a goaltender and doesn't play in our division. He also fits the mold of the kind of player you'd think Gillis is targeting.

Everything after that is pure speculation.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

This guy beat the Mantracker and made him and his horse ride outta town. Who does that? He got mystical powers.

Time to quit speculating and get 'er doan, Gillis!
Last edited by Carl Yagro on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I would speculate..he has 2 very good years left in him..kinda fits our timeline.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: I'd also be wary of trading Schneider for him. He's a rental, and who knows if he can stay healthy. His longest NHL season was 86 games...
Doan has been incredibly durable over the past 12 years. The most he's ever missed in a season is 10 games and he's played 79 or more games in 9 of those seasons.

The guy is an absolute horse and he's the last player who's durability should be a question mark.

He is certainly getting on, but I think he would thrive on Keslers Wing.

60 points in 72 games with virtually no support last season. Then 5 points in 4 playoff games.

There is clearly some gas left in the tank.

Trading Schneider is going to suck, but the clock is ticking and at some point our hand will be forced. We could do a lot worse value wise then getting Doan for a another cup run.

Look at our current roster with Doan, is there anyone who's even close in the west?
Whens that "window" in Lu's contract come up, next year? ...or year 5? Ya its going to totally suck.
What else would suck is trading a potential franchise goaltender for an aging UFA. Schneider is not some hot potato Gillis has to flip. I'd rather he hold on to him and push him into a 35/45 split w/ Lu w/ the potential for playoff starts if need be....UNLESS a comparable piece of the puzzle comes in return. Perhaps a larger deal that saw Turris come back this way in a package would be easier to stomach. One less headache for Phoenix to deal with. Can we even fit Doan into our cap?!? $4.55mill is a tough pill to swallow. How much room do we have? This is where the Sturm signing may prove to be a poor choice; only that it is a significant hit for a possible 3rd/4th liner.
If I was Gillis I'd have my eye on Edmonton's stable of young rising talent. Schneider is starting to look every bit the future star Eberle is. Gillis won't sell the team short. Making a desperate trade for a one-time shot doesn't guarantee anything. That said, tough players w/ some talent don't grow on trees....how many of them are there really out there? ...not as many as there used to be. How good would Chris Stewart look good patrolling the boards w/ the Twins.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I like Doan alot too, but not sure I'd trade Schneids for him. Maybe something like MayRay/Shroeder/pick. Yeah, if we trade Schneids, I'd like a younger Power-forward type like Stewart.

ClamRussel wrote:How good would Chris Stewart look good patrolling the boards w/ the Twins.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

ClamRussel wrote: Whens that "window" in Lu's contract come up, next year? ...or year 5? Ya its going to totally suck.
What else would suck is trading a potential franchise goaltender for an aging UFA. Schneider is not some hot potato Gillis has to flip. I'd rather he hold on to him and push him into a 35/45 split w/ Lu w/ the potential for playoff starts if need be....UNLESS a comparable piece of the puzzle comes in return. Perhaps a larger deal that saw Turris come back this way in a package would be easier to stomach. One less headache for Phoenix to deal with. Can we even fit Doan into our cap?!? $4.55mill is a tough pill to swallow. How much room do we have? This is where the Sturm signing may prove to be a poor choice; only that it is a significant hit for a possible 3rd/4th liner.
If I was Gillis I'd have my eye on Edmonton's stable of young rising talent. Schneider is starting to look every bit the future star Eberle is. Gillis won't sell the team short. Making a desperate trade for a one-time shot doesn't guarantee anything. That said, tough players w/ some talent don't grow on trees....how many of them are there really out there? ...not as many as there used to be. How good would Chris Stewart look good patrolling the boards w/ the Twins.

We aren't going to get a top end "young" power forward for Schneider.

And the reality is we need to move him by next years draft at the latest.

Schneider is currently signed for 900k and will be a RFA in the off season. He would be out of his mind to sign here for any longer then 1 year, after which time he will be totally unrestricted and able to sign where he chooses.

Further to that if he signs an offer sheet in the 3 mill range our compensation will be a second rounder and if we match we cant move him for 1 year (after which he becomes an URFA and walks for nothing).

We have a kid, most around the league, think is as good as most starters and unfortunately sitting on the asset is not a viable option.

Best strategy is to move him late this season to a team who thinks they can sign him, and like I said we could do a lot worse then Shane Doan, a guy who the Cancuks could potentially retain in the short term given the Yotes are likely done in Phoenix.

Personally I'm almost as high on Eddie lack as I was on Schneider and I think he will make a solid back up for the next few seasons.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I like the track this train is travelling. I watched doan in phoenix at least 8 times, he is awesome and would bein right up there in top 5 point getters for us for at least 2 years..
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Yahoo Sports

LW Marco Sturm took a "maintenance day" Tuesday and did not practice to rest a sore hand. A lot of Canucks observers wish he'd stayed off the ice Wednesday in Philadelphia. On a night when linemates Mikael Samuelsson and Cody Hodgson combined for 10 shots, Sturm managed just one despite 3:26 of power play time. Signed as a $2.25 million, one-year crapshoot after two knee surgeries and poor seasons, Sturm has yet to find his stride. He was benched for part of the second period and finally got back on the ice just in time to be out of position for the Flyers' winning goal.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Doan is keslerlike..but older
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I like Eddie Lack-Attack a lot too. I think he has the potential to be better than Schneids and Lou. U heard it here first. :P That's why I'm willing to move Schneids. We're in no rush, unless we have a horrible start of course. I like Lack's size as he covers alot of the net. He maybe not as athletic as Lou, but he has a cool down to earth demeanor and seems like a happy go lucky guy. I think these traits will serve him well in a pressure packed hockey town like Vancouver. Lou is too much of a hot head and I think his emotions get the better of him when the heat is on.

Potatoe1 wrote: Personally I'm almost as high on Eddie lack as I was on Schneider and I think he will make a solid back up for the next few seasons.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper wrote:Burrows is a poor mans Doan
rats19 wrote:Doan is keslerlike..but older
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

When is young Ryan coming back? And who just who called for him to be Capitain last year? 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Arachnid wrote:When is young Ryan coming back? And who just who called for him to be Capitain last year? 8-)
Hey, let's take Henrik out and put Ryan in. Then let's see how many goals Kesler scores on the PP. Almost captain K was a minus 6 with 1 assist in the SCF. Guy is made of teflon when it comes to blame.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dhabums wrote:
Arachnid wrote:When is young Ryan coming back? And who just who called for him to be Capitain last year? 8-)
Hey, let's take Henrik out and put Ryan in. Then let's see how many goals Kesler scores on the PP. Almost captain K was a minus 6 with 1 assist in the SCF. Guy is made of teflon when it comes to blame.
I'm not sure what "comes to blame" means, but it must mean when somebody has a torn hip labrum.