GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks @ Columbus - 4pm - SNET-P(HD) RADIO: 1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks @ Columbus - 4pm - SNET-P(HD) RADI

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

dhabums wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote: One more time, if that is the Canucks response, then as an opponent, I will slash, punch and hit a Sedin after the whistle every chance I get knowing it will draw a reaction and a penalty.

In today's NHL, few players fear retribution. If they do, it's tempered by the millions of dollars they will earn by being the type of player that runs the Sedins and then puts his team on the powerplay by drawing retribution.
Fighting majors do not result in a PP. I've heard and read today people claiming "it was a close game so nothing could be done". WTH does that even mean? This is where someone should make a pointless reference to the instigator penalty, as if it is relevant.

I blame it all on the instigator rule.

tee-hee
2011..... the one that got away.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

BladesofSteel wrote: Vancouver was down 2-1 when that hit took place. One minute later Cody tied it up on the power play that was a result of Methot's boarding minor.

That hit on Henrik was the turning point in the game. The Canucks rallied and won, that's all that matters.
Am I misreading something? It was 1-1 when Methot hit 33.
Last edited by dhabums on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

KeyserSoze wrote:I would have liked to see someone (anyone) put the puck in Methot's corner and attempt to put him through the boards. Or if for whatever reason that was not possible, let's see someone (again, anyone) target Jeff Carter with a hard hit (even if it is 2 seconds late) or nasty cross check to the arm and remind him why it happened.

If it was a clean hit it would have been a different story.
I think this might be the only real way to get the results that most teams are looking for when it comes to protecting their elite players. How many times is a guy like Methot going to run the opponent's top player with a questionable/late/dirty hit if his whole team knows that Nash or Carter are going to pay for it? I don't think he would be very well liked in his own locker room if his play is forcing his team's stars to play with eyes in the back of their head.

If, every time a Bruin had taken liberties with Hank or Dank, we had responded by taking a run at Chara's knees, or Bergeron or Kreji a bit late along the boards, would we have seen a difference (not saying a Cup in Van necessarily, but a different look to the games, particularly in Boston)?

Hockey, all contact sports actually, are games dominated by the alpha dogs, it's a primal thing, if one team is constantly skating away or showing restraint, the aggressor is going to perceive that as weakness and press the attack. That is still the one difference between the team that Gillis has built and the Detroit team that has had so much success, the Red Wing's were never the physical aggressor, but they never backed down (Holmstrom excepted.....such a pussy). Detroit always responded by standing their ground, sure they may have gotten man handled and tossed around a bit by a bigger opponent, but they didn't just roll over and play dead. They made opponents regret taking stupid penalties, we did the same all last year.....right up to the point where we ran into the Bruin's. Then we let them have their way and they never had to pay for it, end of story.

Every time Henrik or Daniel take a hit and skate away with their tail tucked, someone had better step in and kick someone's ass on the other side of the ice. If the offending player puss's out the way Methot did, message is still sent, if the opponent continues to be a cowboy, then beat the piss out of him while he turtles or take it out on his victim's counterpart (ie. Carter or Nash for Sedin).
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote:
Hockey, all contact sports actually, are games dominated by the alpha dogs, it's a primal thing, if one team is constantly skating away or showing restraint, the aggressor is going to perceive that as weakness and press the attack. That is still the one difference between the team that Gillis has built and the Detroit team that has had so much success, the Red Wing's were never the physical aggressor, but they never backed down (Holmstrom excepted.....such a pussy). Detroit always responded by standing their ground, sure they may have gotten man handled and tossed around a bit by a bigger opponent, but they didn't just roll over and play dead. They made opponents regret taking stupid penalties, we did the same all last year.....right up to the point where we ran into the Bruin's. Then we let them have their way and they never had to pay for it, end of story.
Where do people come up with this stuff...

So the wings are tough because they can score on the power play.

We are pussies because couldn't?

"Toughness" had absolutely noting to do with our terrible results on the power play in the final. Our power play sucked because Edler, Ehroff, Hank, Sammy and Kesler were all hurt. That's 5 of the 6 players most responsible for our first unit being the best in the league last season.

People just love to create falocys regarding the Wings because the fact they win year after year with virtually no one on their roster that can fight, fly's in the face of all the "toughness myth's" that fans and media perpetuate.

Hockey is dominated by "Alpha Dogs".. please... Hockey is dominated by skilled teams who can skate, check, and score. The better you can do those things the more success you will have. It really isn't that complicated.

Unfortunately that doesn't make good copy so the media like to run with other storey lines.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Where do people come up with this stuff...

"Toughness" had absolutely noting to do with our terrible results on the power play in the final. Our power play sucked because Edler, Ehroff, Hank, Sammy and Kesler were all hurt. That's 5 of the 6 players most responsible for our first unit being the best in the league last season.
I think you and I are reading Med's post very differently. You really need to work on your black and white solutions and accept the enormous grey area in the middle. We let the Bruins do as they pleased. I have no doubt that this fed their confidence throughout the series. You are free to disagree.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Watxh the burrows running the goaltender clip again..slowmo if you have to..mason came out about 6 inches at the last second and inesho...invited the play...instigated if you will...just sayin..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

KeyserSoze wrote: let's see someone (again, anyone) target Jeff Carter with a hard hit (even if it is 2 seconds late) or nasty cross check to the arm and remind him why it happened.

If it was a clean hit it would have been a different story.

I am not talking about Bertuzzi-ing someone here...let's just make it clear give a hint that if someone wants to take a cheap shot from behind on one of our star players it will not be taken lightly.

The Methot hit (especially seeing as it was only penalized 2 mins) deserved more attention/reaction, and this is all I am saying.
This is how I see it (Thomas not being targeted at some point in the STF is beyond rickdonkulous, but I digress...)

Not only did Methot get away with a vicious cheap-shot on our captain, but later showed one way to send a message. The impression was that Burrows had run BJ's goalie... so first chance Methot got he viciously cross-checked Burrows (in the back just after he scored). He didn't receive a penalty on the play and I'm sure AB is still feeling it today.

In the end Methot served 2 PIM total, put the hurt on two of our best forwards, sent a message, and skated away unscathed. Sure his team lost the game, but its not like folks are putting any blame on Methot. So as to the question of what are some of the methods effective in today's NHL:

Methinks Methot’s methods.

(for added fun try saying the previous sentence aloud three times quickly)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Potatoe1 wrote:Where do people come up with this stuff...

People just love to create falocys regarding the Wings because the fact they win year after year with virtually no one on their roster that can fight, fly's in the face of all the "toughness myth's" that fans and media perpetuate.

Hockey is dominated by "Alpha Dogs".. please... Hockey is dominated by skilled teams who can skate, check, and score. The better you can do those things the more success you will have. It really isn't that complicated.

Unfortunately that doesn't make good copy so the media like to run with other storey lines.
No, the Wing's are tough because when one of their players gets pounded the way Methot hit Hank, or the way the Bruin's roughed us up, the team rallies together and stands their ground. When Zetterberg or Datsyuk are getting bullied, they don't just skate away, they fire back a bit, or a teammate comes in and stands with them. Against Boston, and actually all the way through the playoffs, we often saw the Sedins skating away and saying nothing, taking their licks and retreating, Kesler and Burrows did the same quite often, most of our team outside of Bieksa were quick to walk away and try and take the high road and make the opponent pay on the PP. It's AV's idea and they were following their marching orders. It had nothing to do with the PP results, it was about standing up for yourself and your team. Go re-read the part of my post that you quoted Pot and then re-write your response.....if you don't like the bit about alpha's, oh well, that's up to you, but if you don't think it plays a role then you need to re-watch some games. There has not been a Stanley Cup winning team in recent history that cowered away from the scrums as much as the Canuck's did this past year.....

2011, Boston - goon squad with 3 talented players.
2010, Chicago - a bench full of aggitators and team leaders that were willing to mix it up.
*2009, Pittsburgh - nobody backed down, never afraid to scrum it up.
*2008, Detroit - skill and team effort, also never backed down.
2007, Anaheim - Carlyle's bullies, got away with murder the entire playoffs, cheap shots, and full of assholes.
2006, Carolina - more team toughness, look at the leaders, Brind'Amour and Staal.
2004, Tampa Bay - they faced a grinder squad in Calgary, and were gifted the Cup by the league after Gelinas "no goal" in game 6.....but they weren't afraid and they never skated away from a fight unless they were winning and the game was over.
2003, New Jersey - Scott Stevens anyone?

I think that about makes my point.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote: Not only did Methot get away with a vicious cheap-shot on our captain, but later showed one way to send a message. The impression was that Burrows had run BJ's goalie... so first chance Methot got he viciously cross-checked Burrows (in the back just after he scored). He didn't receive a penalty on the play and I'm sure AB is still feeling it today.
But we asked Methot to fight, so it's all good.

Officer: Uhhh, you were driving 220 in a 110 zone.
Me: Yup, in a rush to get to Penticton.
Officer: You want a ticket?
Me: Nope. Sorry, not interested.
Officer: Ok. Sorry for bothering you. Could you at least put the open liquor in the drunk and hide the bong?
Me: Nope.

I really do hate that drive.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

dhabums wrote: You really need to work on your black and white solutions and accept the enormous grey area in the middle.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully one day I can achieve your level of hockey posting :D
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

rats19 wrote:Watxh the burrows running the goaltender clip again..slowmo if you have to..mason came out about 6 inches at the last second and inesho...invited the play...instigated if you will...just sayin..
I hope nobody seriously thinks Burrows ran Mason, he fell over him skating backwards.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Totally off topic, anyone know how Malkin was hurt in Calgary? While it may sicken me slightly, I'd like to send thanks to whoever it was.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

In two games, the Canucks have been average at best, yet have three points. It shows the talent, depth and confidence of the team, but the fall side of winning when you play poorly is it may lull you into a fall sense of security. Considering how professionally the players have conducted themselves over the past year, I expect they will hit their stride as a team over the next few games. This was only the 4th game for the Canucks veterans, and have only played three as a team.

The initial reaction to the Canucks approach to the reduced games for veterans in the pre-season seems mostly negative, but I think it's too early to write it off. If they can keep collecting points until they take off in a few games, then I think it was a good move to rest the veterans and somewhat reduce the wear-and-tear of a long season.

Dan and Hank didn't have a great game, but even if they play well in a third of their shifts they're a dominant force.

Ballard continues to look better, but he shares part of the blame on Atkinson's goal that opened the scoring. Higgins and Malhotra mucked things up and Tanev was running around a bit on that shift, but Ballard also left the front of the net and cheated towards the back of the goal-line, allowing Atkinson to barrel down the slot. The early word for tomorrow is Alberts coming in for Tanev, which is the right guy to take out if you're trying to get Alberts into a game early in the season. I'll stay a bit more patient to see where Ballard's ice-time goes, on even strength and special teams, but so far it seems he's stuck playing 15-16 minutes again.

It's too early for all this goalie and toughness controversy, it's too volatile too early. I'll come back to it if there's anything of substance to discuss once we get just a little bit deeper into the season.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

dhabums wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote: One more time, if that is the Canucks response, then as an opponent, I will slash, punch and hit a Sedin after the whistle every chance I get knowing it will draw a reaction and a penalty.

In today's NHL, few players fear retribution. If they do, it's tempered by the millions of dollars they will earn by being the type of player that runs the Sedins and then puts his team on the powerplay by drawing retribution.
Fighting majors do not result in a PP. I've heard and read today people claiming "it was a close game so nothing could be done". WTH does that even mean? This is where someone should make a pointless reference to the instigator penalty, as if it is relevant.

It appears you are distracted by a recent series of speeding tickets to understand?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I get the whole idea of taking the high road and making a team pay on the PP. I also like that we got the win. But, at some point someone on our team needs to step up. We do have team toughness and we do have a great PP. Those things will win us games. But we also have or are getting a reputation as being pussies. Rightly or wrongly we are getting this reputation ( I think wrongly) but it is perception that counts in the end.

The problem as I see it is that we don't play well when we lose our focus and get running around. We get rattled for some reason. We just don't have the horse or horses to play that mean spirited in your face crash and bang intimidating style. Many have auditioned for that role on both the 4th and 3rd lines. But no one has really stood the test of time. Torres played that role to some extent last season and Rypien did when he had his head in the game. Cowan and Hordichuck played that role sporadically for short periods of time. But we really need to find two players on the 4th line that can do that game in and game out.

AV never really plays the 4th line much any way so I think MG still has a job to do to try and fine tune the line up. I don't advocate a 4th line goon good for a fight or two type of player. I like Jackman on Calgary as an example or Neal in his hey day on Ottawa. Those type of players are the types I would love to see on our 4th line.
The only HW the Canucks need