GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks @ Columbus - 4pm - SNET-P(HD) RADIO: 1

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Oct 10 - Canucks @ Columbus - 4pm - SNET-P(HD) RADI

Post by dbr »

Strangelove wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: Higgins... bobbled the puck on a zone clear that led to Columbus' first goal.
That's what everyone keeps saying, but i could've sworn he got the puck to Ballard, who failed to get the puck out???
Nope. Can you imagine S_C not just overlooking an error by Keith freaking Ballard leading to a goal, but blaming another Canuck for the breakdown? :D

If you check the replay Higgins comes out of a scrum in the corner with the puck and tries to move it to Hansen at the top of the circle but its blocked by a BJ forward. Higgins recovers the puck again and moves towards the middle of the ice before being checked; Malhotra skates onto it and knocks it back to the halfboards where Derek MacKenzie moves it across to Atkinson.

Ballard was coming out from the corner (he was also in the initial scrum) and didn't arrive in time to block either the pass to Atkinson or his shot.. Matt Calvert was also heading to the net and Ballard was the lone Canuck so he couldn't really commit to either forward without leaving the other one wide open.

A better hockey mind than mine might be able to say which Canuck wears the goat horns on that play but IMO it was just solid forechecking, a good pass and a well-placed shot to take advantage of some not-stellar defensive play by the Canucks.
Last edited by dbr on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote: Wingers Sturm & Samuelsson, Volpatti & Weise crappy. Again.
Why the Weise hate? He got in on the forecheck, threw some hits and generally was fine. He certainly looks more interested in the game than Oreo did.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote: Higgins... bobbled the puck on a zone clear that led to Columbus' first goal.
That's what everyone keeps saying, but i could've sworn he got the puck to Ballard, who failed to get the puck out???
Go look at the replays, Ballard doesn't even touch the puck so no idea where you got that from. Higgins gave the puck away TWICE then it bounced off Malhotra....Tanev went in to the corner & Ballard followed him towards that side in support....so some blame could be given to Ballard's poor choice to leave the front of the net however there was no support from Manny either...total breakdown but the blame has to go to Higgins for not clearing the zone twice leading to the confusion.

So how long until Ballard gets a *chance* on the PP?!? I mean this is a tad ridiculous, Samuelsson sucks back there. I know every now & then he does something good but is it worth the risk of having a winger on the point? His nickname in Detroit was Shins for the amount of shots he takes that go off shinpads. Watch closely, he takes alot of shots but how many actually get through? Ballard has all the tools to deliver some offence for us w/ the man advantage, he's done it before and has the patience which is essential. Methinx he's been pidgeonholed by AV.

I'd go Edler-Bieksa on the 1st unit and Ballard-Salo on the 2nd.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ClamRussel wrote:So how long until Ballard gets a *chance* on the PP?!? I mean this is a tad ridiculous, Samuelsson sucks back there. I know every now & then he does something good but is it worth the risk of having a winger on the point? His nickname in Detroit was Shins for the amount of shots he takes that go off shinpads. Watch closely, he takes alot of shots but how many actually get through? Ballard has all the tools to deliver some offence for us w/ the man advantage, he's done it before and has the patience which is essential. Methinx he's been pidgeonholed by AV.
I feel like the coaching staff view their defenders with a similar amount of depth and sophistication as a video game like Blades of Steel, except instead of skinny guy, medium guy and fat guy they have right-shooting guy and left-shooting guy to choose from on the points.

I don't think left-shooting guy is going to displace right-shooting guy on the point but he might usurp one of the other left-shooting guys. Unfortunately for Keith Ballard, Edler is a mainstay on the powerplay for good reason and Dan Hamhuis helped make the second unit reasonably dangerous tonight.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

dbr wrote: I feel like the coaching staff view their defenders with a similar amount of depth and sophistication as a video game like Blades of Steel, except instead of skinny guy, medium guy and fat guy they have right-shooting guy and left-shooting guy to choose from on the points.
That'd be Ice Hockey, not Blades of Steel.

:wink:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dbr wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:So how long until Ballard gets a *chance* on the PP?!? I mean this is a tad ridiculous, Samuelsson sucks back there. I know every now & then he does something good but is it worth the risk of having a winger on the point? His nickname in Detroit was Shins for the amount of shots he takes that go off shinpads. Watch closely, he takes alot of shots but how many actually get through? Ballard has all the tools to deliver some offence for us w/ the man advantage, he's done it before and has the patience which is essential. Methinx he's been pidgeonholed by AV.
I feel like the coaching staff view their defenders with a similar amount of depth and sophistication as a video game like Blades of Steel, except instead of skinny guy, medium guy and fat guy they have right-shooting guy and left-shooting guy to choose from on the points.

I don't think left-shooting guy is going to displace right-shooting guy on the point but he might usurp one of the other left-shooting guys. Unfortunately for Keith Ballard, Edler is a mainstay on the powerplay for good reason and Dan Hamhuis helped make the second unit reasonably dangerous tonight.
True, but I could never figure out why last year they went w/ 2 left shooting guys on one unit and 2 right hand shots on the other. Huh? I always liked how Calgary went w/ MacInnis & Suter and Chicago had Chelios & Smith....opposite shooters playing their off-side so they were both open to the one-timer from each other. Hard to argue w/ the results. I remember that pair in Chicago inching their way in towards the goal, passing back & forth until they opened the wingers up & then unloading canons. The results were there. Its always awkward w/ two the same hand imo.

Bieksa has more offense in him than Samuelsson imo and only gets spot duty on the PP it seems. Obviously Salo is the other RH shot. I'd give Ballard a shot over Hamhuis, no offence to Dan but I see Ballard as a better skater & outlet passer. Both probably shoot about the same, Hamhuis being the better guy in his own end no doubt....but the PP should technically be spent primarily in the other end of the rink.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hey Clam, I think Doc was just casting some bait into the water and hoping for a nibble... as soon as KB4 loses an edge I'm sure we'll all hear about it.

As for the PP, most everyone will agree, including the media, that Sammy on the point is not the best option. However, a sulking Sammy on the 3rd or 4th lines is an even worse option, so he gets his offensive role even if he doesn't deserve it based on the Vigneault school of "earning your ice-time".

Hmmm... Ballard gets 13 minutes in game 2. Is this a pre-cursor to trust issues when Rome is once again healthy? I certainly hope not.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

I don't mind Samuelsson on the PP at all, just not the point. I reckon AV used him there because he didn't know where else to put him. Why not w/ Hodgson on the 2nd unit? He's still got a good shot & hockey sense (even if he's looking mighty lost out there so far). I don't get Sturm at all, I questioned that signing form the get go. Made no sense then & makes no sense now. His wheels are done, 2 knee operations will do that.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dbr wrote: Nope. Can you imagine S_C not just overlooking an error by Keith freaking Ballard leading to a goal, but blaming another Canuck for the breakdown? :D
Maybe it's the wrong thread, but I blamed Grabner, Bernier and future NHL star Howden.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:I don't mind Samuelsson on the PP at all, just not the point. I reckon AV used him there because he didn't know where else to put him. Why not w/ Hodgson on the 2nd unit? He's still got a good shot & hockey sense (even if he's looking mighty lost out there so far). I don't get Sturm at all, I questioned that signing form the get go. Made no sense then & makes no sense now. His wheels are done, 2 knee operations will do that.

THIS.

I'd rather see Ballard or Hammer on the point.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

dbr wrote:Can you imagine S_C not just overlooking an error by Keith freaking Ballard leading to a goal, but blaming another Canuck for the breakdown? :D
I thought Ballard had his best game as a Canuck in this game. Even though he scored a goal in the Pittsburgh game, I thought he played very poorly - many posters commented on how great he was at "breakout passes", however his only completed passes were ping-pong to Tanev, or passes to the other team. He made several glaringly bad decisions to pinch in that game.

Ballard is a great skater, and he can carry the puck out of his own zone, but I think it's easy to see why he can't crack the Canucks powerplay - he doesn't have the vision of a Hamhuis, Salo, or even Bieksa, and he has difficulty getting his shot through.

In this game, Ballard still made some poor decisions to pinch, however he made some good passes through the neutral zone. I know he only received 13 minutes, but I am comfortable that he could step up and play more minutes if Hamhuis or Edler gets injured this season.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:His wheels are done, 2 knee operations will do that.
I'm waiting to see the effects of a second hip operation.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I think Ballard made the best use of his 13 min of ice time last night. Tanev certainly struggled with his shot/puck movement and decision making against an average forechecking team. I wonder if Alberts will draw in against Philly tomorrow.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

mathonwy wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:At this point I am way more concerned about someone eventually sending a message to Methot than the actual two points.

I'd rather a message be sent and lose this game than win it and nothing be done about that hit.

But Maclean may be right... it's probably too late at this point.
Maybe someone can write Methot a stern email after the game?
After the liberties taken with the Sedins last spring by Boston, I would have loved to see some serious objection shown towards ANYONE who runs our star players last night. I get the idea of turning the other cheek and taking the powerplay, but do I want to trade a powerplay or two points for a concussion to one of the Sedins?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

My thoughts, with nothing to compare it to as it is the first game I have seem this season.

I liked Ballard's game. Of course I liked him last season too. He is a great skater, great passer, can throw the hip check, block shots and is a perfect match for Tanev. Other D made mistakes last night that Ballard would have been crucified for. I think he will only get better as his confidence grows and he finds a role for himself on the team.

Nice to see Hamhuis back. I am more impressed with him each time I see him play.

Bieksa looks to be the good Kevin again. But he hasn't seem to have found his hitting game yet. Glad we kept him.

Edler didn't impress me much. He looks to be a step behind in his decision making. Perhaps he is a slow starter. Like to see him get way more physical.

Salo looks much much better than he did last season after his return. His speed is back and he is shooting the puck way more. If he can stay healthy I think he will get a ton of points to help make up for the loss of Ehrhoff's point production.

Tanev is so smooth out there. A few inexperience errors but he is so impressive for a kid. I don't know if he will ever develop a mean streak or learn how to move a body in front of the net but I like his poise and no panic level. It would be nice to see him start to get some points too.

Cory! One real real bad goal ala Luongo but other than that he kept us in the game and shut the BJ's down when he had too. That PS save was huge. It scares me that I feel more confident in him shutting the door than I do Luongo right now. Makes me realize how far Luongo has dropped in my book and how I just don't trust him the way I used to. I'm still on his band wagon but I realized watching Cory that I have one foot off.

Hank, Dank and Bank looked pretty good most of the night. Hopefully Hank is OK and will have no lingering affects of that hit. The twins should both be near the top of the scoring by seasons end.

No real second line presence but Hodgson impressed me. He actually looks faster this season. Still needs to learn to take the body and be more effective on the forecheck but I like what I see. It is going to be tough for him when Kesler gets back, well maybe not if Hank is hurting.

Malhotra looked good. I didn't get to see him play the pre-season but I did like what I saw last night compared to the playoffs. Hansen I didn't notice last night and I only noticed Higgins because of his give aways, oh and the one nice goal. He can play with more intensity as can Hansen so I look for good things from them when they get their stride back. That line needs to be more of an energy and shut down line for us.

4th line was meh. I liked Lappy's game very much but the other two were not overly impressive. They both need to play bigger out there. Got caught in their owen end a few times that reminded me of last year's 4th line. I would like to see more intensity and more hard hitting from them. And ya, a response to a very cheap hit would have been nice.

AV's philosophy has always been to turn the other cheek and make them pay on the PP. We got the two points last night and in the scheme of things that is more important. It is hard to stomach after what happened in the Boston series I know but in these close games the points are far more important I think. We were team tough last year and we need to be that again this year. We simply do not play well as a team when we are running around with pay back on our minds. This inspires some teams but not us. When we become undisciplined the wheels fall off. If the opportunity had been there for pay back or a challenge then fine but I don't recall our 4th line being out there that much and even less out there against the idiot who hit Hank. So unless AV matches that line to get the pay back set up it is hard to get it done. We have a few more games against them this year, some in our barn, where line can be matched so if pay back is warranted it will come. I do admit that at the time I was screaming for someone, anyone, to drop the gloves and pound the shit out of the guy but at the end of the night I was very very satisfied with the win.
The only HW the Canucks need