Growing up in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Growing up in Vancouver

Post by Strangelove »

LotusBlossom wrote: The one thing I remember growing up in Vancouver and becoming a Canucks fan were the $10 standing room only tickets at Pacific Coliseum. I remember being able to hit up the hapless 6 window ticket booth at PC asking for the cheapest tickets you can find and eventually move to a seat because the arena wasn't full most nights.
TWICE me and a pal bullshitted our way in through the media entrance.

Drunk, rowdy, Daytons & leather.

My friend had some vague conection with Don Lever (not the poster)...

Whatever, the gatekeeper didn't have the balls to say 'no' and the place was half-empty anyway so...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Daytons, Mack Jacket and broadie over top which was a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off, the hair was long, parted in the middle and blow dried, listening to the music of Boston with your Maui Wowi weed or Thai stick and Extra Old Stock Tall Boys. This was one of the greatest era's of Vancouver. Flying V guitars, early Van Halen and Dodge Chargers.

Fuck, those were the days.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Daytons, Mack Jacket and broadie over top which was a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off, the hair was long, parted in the middle and blow dried, listening to the music of Boston with your Maui Wowi weed or Thai stick and Extra Old Stock Tall Boys. This was one of the greatest era's of Vancouver. Flying V guitars, early Van Halen and Dodge Chargers.

You grew up in Surrey, too? :D

K through 5 in North Delta, then lived a few areas of Surrey for 6 through 12. We used to head to Vancouver almost every weekend and make the round of record stores: Quintessence, Phantamgoria (?), A&B, and hang out on Granville. Turned 19, then it was all about the pub crawls - usually starting at No5...

We should start a growing up in Surrey thread...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

As a young shit-disturber in West Van I was dating a young lady who was a member of the Griffiths family. Well, not dating so much as partying with. She liked me and we used to hook up in my pool one summer but I had a girlfriend at the time...

Anyway she worked at GM Place and this was when GM place was new and the Grizz were playing their first season. She had this big stack of all-access media passes and I convinced her to give me a few. My best friend and I used them repeatedly to sit in any empty seats we saw in the lower bowl. They were like magic tickets, you tied it around your neck and could walk anywhere in the arena no questions asked. I'm sure that shit would never work today.

One time we show up late to a Grizz/Spurs game baked out of our MINDS. We are not dresssed the part because we'd gotten cocky and we sit front row right on the hardwood (dumb). It turns out they're some bigshot's seats and halfway through the second quarter a GM Place attendant strolls over to us... accompanied by a VPD constable. They take us into a back room where several more cops are waiting and question us about the passes, to which we respond that we found them. The chick who scored me the passes is working a lower gate and watching us get taken off the court and into the interrogation chamber.

They threatened us and let us go. I still regret not using those things to go into the locker room pretending to be writers or reporters and causing a little mischief.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Daytons, Mack Jacket and broadie over top which was a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off, the hair was long, parted in the middle and blow dried, listening to the music of Boston with your Maui Wowi weed or Thai stick and Extra Old Stock Tall Boys. This was one of the greatest era's of Vancouver. Flying V guitars, early Van Halen and Dodge Chargers.

You grew up in Surrey, too? :D

K through 5 in North Delta, then lived a few areas of Surrey for 6 through 12. We used to head to Vancouver almost every weekend and make the round of record stores: Quintessence, Phantamgoria (?), A&B, and hang out on Granville. Turned 19, then it was all about the pub crawls - usually starting at No5...

We should start a growing up in Surrey thread...
I went to high school in Surrey because my parents moved out to Panorama Ridge to have a house built to their wants. I went to Frank Hurt ( I should have gone to Princess Margaret *EEEWWW* but, they didn't have a gymnastics gym) They also moved out there for the gymnastics training I was getting from SGS, which was at that time, one of the best in BC. Sure beat the Richmond club I used to train at as a young kid.

I went to high school close enough to Delaney's and the O-Zone. (I'm talking walking distance) Let's just say a lot of the rugby team used to go to Delaney's during spare blocks. I spent most of my free time with the elementary school kids I grew up with in Vancouver but I'd indulge in the odd Surrey party from time to time. I'm glad I DD'ed on more than my share of those...

They built an Earl's during my grade 11 year by the big Superstore on King George Hwy, and I ended up drinking some 'virgin' margaritas before my Law class with my friend. Walked back to the school and slept through most of law. I'm surprised I graduated on the honour roll considering I hated going to a few classes. Luckily for me, school came easily.

Ah...Surrey...
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

LotusBlossom wrote: I went to high school in Surrey

HA! LB's a "Surrey Girl",, Soooooo many good jokes now. (smile)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Potatoe1 wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: I went to high school in Surrey

HA! LB's a "Surrey Girl",, Soooooo many good jokes now. (smile)
:lol: :lol:

I don't think my parents had any idea how bad parts of that was (immigrant parents)...lol Oh well.

I haven't lived in Surrey since I was 18, I spent 6 years of my life there. But yeah, for those 6 years...blah.

I ended up with a Langley boy...go figure :eh:
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

LotusBlossom wrote:

You might have ended up with more then one. (smile)

PS. if you went to HS in Surrey you're a Surrey girl forever more, dont blame the messenger :lol:
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Potatoe1 wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:

You might have ended up with more then one. (smile)

PS. if you went to HS in Surrey you're a Surrey girl forever more, dont blame the messenger :lol:
:lol:

Ah I'll wear the badge *hangs head down* to this day, I still bitch at my parents (as does my sister) for doing that to us. Fuck sakes, my parents ended up moving back to Vancouver once my sister graduated high school. I think they purposely did it to us! :lol:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It builds character...

I'm proud to be a Surrey guy - it wasn't 'always' as bad as the jokes made it out to be. :?

I remember when Frank Hurt opened. We had shifts are our school, Newton Jr to accommodate the FH kids until their damned school was built - didn't it start out as an experiment / alternate type school?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

My first real foray into Surrey was in grade nine with some buddies for a house party. A gang of older punks tried to roll us at the Whalley skytrain station because by buddy was wearing a West Van High football jacket. We got our asses kicked and had to flee and regroup at the next station.

Live and learn.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:It builds character...

I'm proud to be a Surrey guy - it wasn't 'always' as bad as the jokes made it out to be. :?

I remember when Frank Hurt opened. We had shifts are our school, Newton Jr to accommodate the FH kids until their damned school was built - didn't it start out as an experiment / alternate type school?
Rootin' Tootin' Newton! I was supposed to go there because I lived in Panorama Ridge, but went to FH for the gymnastics training at 5:30am until school time started.

Frank Hurt was a school that accommodated kids with physical handicaps because it had an elevator. If I recall our valedictorian ended up representing Canada in the Para-Olympics in swimming.

The badge "Surrey Girl" is way worse than what the guys get tagged with. You guys were just considered skids, apparently all Surrey girls worked a corner on King George near 104 ave :( :P.

I lived on the Ridge, my neighbour had a Rolls Royce and the other was a pilot, (we drove a Cutlass and a Bronco at that time) and we had 1/2 acre of property. I don't think I really 'fit' the Surrey girl stereotype, but it's a funny one whenever I bring up I went to school out that way. Surrey was as diverse as it gets back in those days. We weren't all skids hanging out at the Whalley Exchange looking to score some rock ;)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Ridge really wasn't part of the Surrey I knew - although lived there (on the north side of 56th) for a year.

Did you have a horse?
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:The Ridge really wasn't part of the Surrey I knew - although lived there (on the north side of 56th) for a year.

Did you have a horse?
No, but a few of the families in the neighbourhood did that were closer to the main road and closer to HWY 10.

I lived down on Coulthard Road (just off 128th street), so right at the edge of the ridge. Not really good land for a horse to roam. My dog sure loved it though. She was able to roam on such a big yard from our little box of a backyard in the South Slope of Vancouver. I didn't have to take her to a park for her run, she just exercised in our yard.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Where in North delta Cornuck?

80th and 108th was my stomping grounds as a child.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.