GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus HD

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:29 pm

I appreciate your passionate response, LB.

My point was that fans in other cities are even harder on their star players. The notion that Vancouver is somehow less tolerant of a player underperforming is IMO completely false.

My other point was that the criticism of Luongo is at this point (again, just MHO) valid. A couple seasons ago fans and media may have been jumping the gun when they called him a headcase or questioned his ability to perform with any semblance of consistency in the pressure cooker that is the playoffs. After three straight bewildering performances, those questions are reasonable. In fact, it would be strange to the point of denial if those questions weren't posed at this point.

The good news is that all Lou has to do to silence his critics is win a cup! Or at the very least have a fantastic playoffs to the point where the blame doesn't fall as heavily on his shoulders, a la 2007.

Osgood, as mediocre as he is, was never thrown under the bus like Luongo is here. Yeah he won a couple of cups, but even Dan Cloutier could have won a cup with those teams he had in front of him.


I oh so respectfully disagree. Osgood was an average player who elevated his game in the playoffs. He made the big save when he had to. Cloutier was the exact opposite, and his colleage Mr. Robert Loo unfortunately shares some of Cloutier's post-season shortcomings. Luongo might have been able to win it all with the Wings but there's no way Cloutier would have held the fort in all those 1-goal games Detroit won.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:59 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:Osgood, as mediocre as he is, was never thrown under the bus like Luongo is here.


I can't prove or disprove that but I'd be extremely surprised if that were true. Maybe his roasting wasn't as public because message boards and social media were no where near what they are now; but I highly doubt the same fan base that wanted Yzerman shipped out of town until he finally won a Stanley Cup at the age of 30 had much more (or lack of) love for Osgood than we have for Luongo.
2011..... the one that got away.
User avatar
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 am
Location: The Wack

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:Osgood, as mediocre as he is, was never thrown under the bus like Luongo is here.


I can't prove or disprove that but I'd be extremely surprised if that were true. Maybe his roasting wasn't as public because message boards and social media were no where near what they are now; but I highly doubt the same fan base that wanted Yzerman shipped out of town until he finally won a Stanley Cup at the age of 30 had much more (or lack of) love for Osgood than we have for Luongo.


I understand, but being in Detroit and seeing how the fans reacted to Osgood, is nowhere near the Luongo bashing that he seems to get. Albeit, I give it to Osgood, he has a couple of rings, and no matter what role any players has played on a SC winning team, no one can take that from them, not even Glen Healy :mad:
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:16 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:Osgood, as mediocre as he is, was never thrown under the bus like Luongo is here.


I can't prove or disprove that but I'd be extremely surprised if that were true. Maybe his roasting wasn't as public because message boards and social media were no where near what they are now; but I highly doubt the same fan base that wanted Yzerman shipped out of town until he finally won a Stanley Cup at the age of 30 had much more (or lack of) love for Osgood than we have for Luongo.


I understand, but being in Detroit and seeing how the fans reacted to Osgood, is nowhere near the Luongo bashing that he seems to get. Albeit, I give it to Osgood, he has a couple of rings, and no matter what role any players has played on a SC winning team, no one can take that from them, not even Glen Healy :mad:


Ah, didn't realize you lived there. Yeah, I guess that trumps message boards and social media.

You win this round.....

:)
2011..... the one that got away.
User avatar
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 am
Location: The Wack

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
I can't prove or disprove that but I'd be extremely surprised if that were true. Maybe his roasting wasn't as public because message boards and social media were no where near what they are now; but I highly doubt the same fan base that wanted Yzerman shipped out of town until he finally won a Stanley Cup at the age of 30 had much more (or lack of) love for Osgood than we have for Luongo.


I understand, but being in Detroit and seeing how the fans reacted to Osgood, is nowhere near the Luongo bashing that he seems to get. Albeit, I give it to Osgood, he has a couple of rings, and no matter what role any players has played on a SC winning team, no one can take that from them, not even Glen Healy :mad:[/quote]

Ah, didn't realize you lived there. Yeah, I guess that trumps message boards and social media.

You win this round.....

:)[/quote]


I see I didn't word that right. My apologies. I should have said, having been in Detroit. I have a lot of family out that way, being American and all, we tend to visit them as much as we possibly can. A lot my family and their friends are big Wings fans, and I have never heard many, even strangers say the things like we, Vancouverites, have said about Luongo in regards to Osgood.

No win or lose, just an observation of what happens in Mo-Town.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:


Ah, didn't realize you lived there. Yeah, I guess that trumps message boards and social media.

You win this round.....

:)



I see I didn't word that right. My apologies. I should have said, having been in Detroit. I have a lot of family out that way, being American and all, we tend to visit them as much as we possibly can. A lot my family and their friends are big Wings fans, and I have never heard many, even strangers say the things like we, Vancouverites, have said about Luongo in regards to Osgood.

No win or lose, just an observation of what happens in Mo-Town.[/quote]
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby LotusBlossom » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:31 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:


Ah, didn't realize you lived there. Yeah, I guess that trumps message boards and social media.

You win this round.....

:)



I see I didn't word that right. My apologies. I should have said, having been in Detroit. I have a lot of family out that way, being American and all, we tend to visit them as much as we possibly can. A lot my family and their friends are big Wings fans, and I have never heard many, even strangers say the things like we, Vancouverites, have said about Luongo in regards to Osgood.

No win or lose, just an observation of what happens in Mo-Town opposed to Vancouver.
Didn't you know?I'm Front Page news! ;)
User avatar
LotusBlossom
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Metro Vancouver

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:41 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:


Ah, didn't realize you lived there. Yeah, I guess that trumps message boards and social media.

You win this round.....

:)


A lot my family and their friends are big Wings fans, and I have never heard many, even strangers say the things like we, Vancouverites, have said about Luongo in regards to Osgood.



Osgood never got blown up like Luongo. And most Wings fans look at the NHL like we look at the CFL. A distraction from real sports like the NFL, MLB and the NBA. The focus on one sport that Vancouver has is totally different (I have an Uncle, aunt and two cousins that live in Detroit, BTW.. just so you know I have some perspective on sports there).

Remember when the best player of his era, A-Rod, got absolutely blasted by the New York media and fans when he failed to deliver in a couple playoffs -- despite being the best player in the league all season? In fact the best player of his position of all time? The flack Lou gets is a love-in compared to the way they went after him.
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Potatoe1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:The good news is that all Lou has to do to silence his critics is win a cup!



Kind of crazy standard but basically true.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Strangelove » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Rumsfeld wrote:While we're at it, maybe CBC could exchange Kevin Weekes for a bag of shit.


Nice Rummy... talk about killing 2 bags of shit with 1 stone!

It killed me how he kept raving about the 4th line

... about how awesome they played last night

... and how the 4th line Canucks iced against Boston was perhaps the difference. :look:

Well Lappy was truly awesome last night, unfortunately he had 2 bags of shit for wingers though!

How AV didn't reward Lappy with more icetime last night is beyond me.

Especially when Henrik was the only other centre doing anything out there.

2nd line: 3 bags of shit (well Hodgie showed a little life in the 3rd period).

Manny: bag of shit (you're welcome RD).

AV should've also rewarded Higgins with more icetime....

Last night’s Biggest Bag of Shit award definitely goes to Lou.

So hey do I blame AV or Schneids for our choice of shootout guys?? :lol:

I thought the dee played well with the exception of Tanev, who was average at best...
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7375
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Rumsfeld » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:While we're at it, maybe CBC could exchange Kevin Weekes for a bag of shit.

Nice Rummy... talk about killing 2 bags of shit with 1 stone!

It killed me how he kept raving about the 4th line

... about how awesome they played last night

Last night’s Biggest Bag of Shit award definitely goes to Lou.

So hey do I blame AV or Schneids for our choice of shootout guys?? :lol:

I thought the dee played well with the exception of Tanev, who was average at best...


:lol:

Yeah, I'm not convinced that Tanev is ready to replace Rome as #6 YET...
Cowards die a thousand times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Pissed in the Canyon

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Strangelove » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey I'm not making any assumptions after merely one game!

I just call em hows I sees em....
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7375
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Strangelove » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:47 pm

BTW as long as I'm ripping AV, my choice in the shootout would've been Higgins, Lappy, and Burrows...

with The Schneid in goal. ;)

I noticed... FRICKIN... AV had Sturm and Sammy (not together of course) out there in OT!!!

Wot up wid dat???

YES i would make a much better NHL coach than AV.....
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7375
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby wienerdog » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:07 pm

LotusBlossom wrote:I understand, but being in Detroit and seeing how the fans reacted to Osgood, is nowhere near the Luongo bashing that he seems to get. Albeit, I give it to Osgood, he has a couple of rings, and no matter what role any players has played on a SC winning team, no one can take that from them, not even Glen Healy :mad:


Well, of course, the other thing that gets lost from time to time in this debate is the amount of cake that Roberto wanted to stuff in his piehole.

In that sense, Luongo and Osgood are polar opposites. CO did what he did in Detroit and got paid diddly for it. In fact, aside from rookies like Cam Ward, I can't think of another veteran Cup-winning tender that agreed to such small potaoes.

The issue in Vancouver is less about this buisness of Goalie Graveyard. It has more to do with the fact that Luongo has something in common with Mark Messier.

See, so very unlike Osgood, Luongo insisted on the huge dollars and the contract of a franchise player. And - rightfully so - the fans want some serious payback for that. He has no choice, IMO, but to bear the burden that asking for that responsibility brings with it.

If he didn't want this kind of scrutiny/criticism/bashing/hatred, he shouldn't have insisted on stepping into the spotlight like that.

It's his bed, and it's just as unmade in October as it is in June. If he makes it, no issue. If he continues to shit in it, we will never get past this problem...
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Re: GDT: Oct 6 - Canucks host Penguins - 7pm - CBC, Versus H

Postby Meds » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:49 am

LotusBlossom wrote:Osgood, as mediocre as he is, was never thrown under the bus like Luongo is here. Yeah he won a couple of cups, but even Dan Cloutier could have won a cup with those teams he had in front of him.


I'd say it's because Chris Osgood always played better in the playoffs than he did during the regular season, and more importantly, because Osgood was never paid $10M a year (cap hit cap hit not with-standing).
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3336
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Game Day Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest