Growing up in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Growing up in Vancouver

Post by damonberryman »

Lotus Blossom> I too lived on Haro on the park side of Denman. i understand why you love the area. So do I. The whole West End is quite special. I love that little safeway on Davies. Also there used to be a good liquor store on Robson and a Smitty's Pancake House on Denman. All the thai food I could eat.Plus some of the Sushi spots were great. There was one on Thurlow in a basement i ate at a few years ago. it had teh traditional conveyor belt and the food was very good. however, teh best sushi in Van was up between 41 and 42nd.

For Chinese I used to go to the place on 41st where there was a Beano's pancake house once. Their Sunday breakfast had the best dim sun. However, for fast food I still give the Candian championship to Montreal. Pizza, chicken, hot dogs bagels, Orange Julius and of course, poutine. You gotta be careful how you pronounce that because poutin is very different.

When I lived on Yale Street just off Wall there was a park down by the second narrows that used to have a salt pool. Do they still have those in Van? Used to be one on Second Beach. IS there a more lovely park in the world than Stanley? I used to take visitors around teh park by car. i admit taking an inordinate amount of pleasure from all the oohs and ahwss. In fact, when I picked up someone at the airport i would take SW Marine through the UBC endowment lands, then drop down to Spanish Banks and Lacarno. Lacarno is still the best fish and chips I have ever had. Plus it was my favourite beach to veg on.

Drove taxi for Macleans many years ago. Anyone know a Bill Mckenzie who also drove for years? We were good friends and I alwasy liked him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

damonberryman wrote: Anyone know a Bill Mckenzie who also drove for years? We were good friends and I alwasy liked him.
I'm glad you asked that. He's my brother and he's looking for you. He's fucking pissed at you....no word of a lie here.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

BORN IN CALGARY, ALBERTA BEFORE THE FAMILY MOVED TO LANGLEY, BC WHERE I GREW UP.

LIVED IN VANCOUVER'S WEST END FOR DECADES BEFORE MOVING TO A WATERFRONT-VIEW IN YALETOWN.

NOT SURE OF THE NEXT DESTINATION....BUT HANG ON KIDS....YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THE LAST OF ME....

DP
VANCOUVER'S SEXIEST BROADCASTER AND COUGAR HUNTER

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

WATCH THE DAVID PRATT SHOW W/BRO JAKE 6-10 AM, M-F ON THE TEAM 1040
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I'll drive you to the airport there MR CAPS. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I hate all caps posters...rude
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

DavidPratt_ wrote:BORN IN CALGARY, ALBERTA BEFORE THE FAMILY MOVED TO LANGLEY, BC WHERE I GREW UP.

LIVED IN VANCOUVER'S WEST END FOR DECADES BEFORE MOVING TO A WATERFRONT-VIEW IN YALETOWN.

NOT SURE OF THE NEXT DESTINATION....BUT HANG ON KIDS....YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THE LAST OF ME....

DP
Marinaside Crescent is a great morning run or a bike ride. It's a good thing those bike lanes are only on the recreational track and not the road! :lol:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

GOOD THING FOR THE BIKERS JUSTINE ;)

DP

LotusBlossom wrote:
DavidPratt_ wrote:BORN IN CALGARY, ALBERTA BEFORE THE FAMILY MOVED TO LANGLEY, BC WHERE I GREW UP.

DP
Marinaside Crescent is a great morning run or a bike ride. It's a good thing those bike lanes are only on the recreational track and not the road! :lol:

*OPINIONS EXRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR, AND THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THOSE OF ©BELL MEDIA*

DavidPratt_
MVP
MVP

Post by DavidPratt_ »

LIVING IN THE WEST END WAS FUN. MISS THE OLD ENGLISH BAY CAFE ON BEACH AVENUE. USED TO GO OUT FOR DRINKS AT THE BAYSIDE LOUNGE AS WELL. JOE FORTES FOR DRINKS BEFORE A LIONS GAME, RICHARDS ON RICHARDS....HANGING OUT WITH NICK HEBLER AT THE ROXY....PARTYING WITH MIKE RENO AND HIS GROUPIES...THOSE WERE THE DAYS....

DP

damonberryman wrote:Lotus Blossom> I too lived on Haro on the park side of Denman. i understand why you love the area. So do I. The whole West End is quite special. I love that little safeway on Davies. Also there used to be a good liquor store on Robson and a Smitty's Pancake House on Denman. All the thai food I could eat.Plus some of the Sushi spots were great. There was one on Thurlow in a basement i ate at a few years ago. it had teh traditional conveyor belt and the food was very good. however, teh best sushi in Van was up between 41 and 42nd.

For Chinese I used to go to the place on 41st where there was a Beano's pancake house once. Their Sunday breakfast had the best dim sun. However, for fast food I still give the Candian championship to Montreal. Pizza, chicken, hot dogs bagels, Orange Julius and of course, poutine. You gotta be careful how you pronounce that because poutin is very different.

When I lived on Yale Street just off Wall there was a park down by the second narrows that used to have a salt pool. Do they still have those in Van? Used to be one on Second Beach. IS there a more lovely park in the world than Stanley? I used to take visitors around teh park by car. i admit taking an inordinate amount of pleasure from all the oohs and ahwss. In fact, when I picked up someone at the airport i would take SW Marine through the UBC endowment lands, then drop down to Spanish Banks and Lacarno. Lacarno is still the best fish and chips I have ever had. Plus it was my favourite beach to veg on.

Drove taxi for Macleans many years ago. Anyone know a Bill Mckenzie who also drove for years? We were good friends and I alwasy liked him.

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

DavidPratt_ wrote:LIVING IN THE WEST END WAS FUN. MISS THE OLD ENGLISH BAY CAFE ON BEACH AVENUE. USED TO GO OUT FOR DRINKS AT THE BAYSIDE LOUNGE AS WELL.

DP
Bayside... AJ, Kelly, Sue and co are probably the best group of servers that actually know your names, the nights you come in and ask how your family is doing. I must say that is probably still one of my fave haunts. I only hit it every few months these days, but I remember it used to be an after a late Wednesday shift drink place.

Always had a great time and always was treated well there, I can't ever say anything bad.Anthony, the current bar manager is a great guy and has kept that place great for regs but at the same time gave it new life. If that place ever shut down, it would be a sad day in the West End.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

DavidPratt_ wrote:LIVING IN THE WEST END WAS FUN. MISS THE OLD ENGLISH BAY CAFE ON BEACH AVENUE. USED TO GO OUT FOR DRINKS AT THE BAYSIDE LOUNGE AS WELL. JOE FORTES FOR DRINKS BEFORE A LIONS GAME, RICHARDS ON RICHARDS....HANGING OUT WITH NICK HEBLER AT THE ROXY....PARTYING WITH MIKE RENO AND HIS GROUPIES...THOSE WERE THE DAYS....

DP
Don't forget wandering into Super Value on Davie Street ( multiple times) gowed out of your tree .....weaving around the store like a bum lit up on aqua valva knocking shit all over the place and being heckled by a bunch of 20 something kids. Ahhhhh those were the days.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

That was last weekend wasn't it Blob?
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Topper wrote:Cornwall and Yew was the 7/11 of my mushroam tale (not Waterloo).

I think it was a gas station before it became rebuilt as a 7/11. There was already one at yew and 4th so it made no sense. It then became a series of restaurants. Now? I wonder what the landlord charges for that local and if that is bill that kills the margin.

Was anyone else a regular at Cafe Creme, just a door or two west of Yew on 4th.When I lived at 5th and Yew, the morning routine was to put the kettle on for coffee then run to Cafe Creme for a couple of spinach and cheese brioche and 7/11 for a morning paper. Back in time to pour the water through the Melita.
Elsie's Bakery on Yew was awesome. Beside Elsie's was an ice cream place for a long time, some chain but the name escapes me. There was also Greer's restaurant there too and of course the King's Head. There was a drug store on York and Yew and then there was also a laundromat too. Where Starbucks is was a Chinese Western Cuisine restaurant too. I can remember when that Mac's went in- that was everything for the Kits Point kids.

I was just in the West End this past weekend and forgot how much I like it there. Finally used my condo for the first time on 6 months! Had a good run on the sea wall and a great meal later. Loved seeing all the seniors dancing it up at the Dover Arms!
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Was at the Roxy for the first time in about three years last night after the Kings of Leon concert. The decor is still the same. The band is new but they were decent. The drinks were also in and around the same price as I remember. Cover was still $5.

Why change a good thing? ;)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

LotusBlossom wrote:Was at the Roxy for the first time in about three years last night after the Kings of Leon concert. The decor is still the same. The band is new but they were decent. The drinks were also in and around the same price as I remember. Cover was still $5.

Why change a good thing? ;)
I was at the Roxy for the first time in like 12 years two weekends ago. A lady-friend of mine insisted. You're right, nothing has changed! The skanks are still creeping and the creeps are still skanking.

I was also surprised that my Vodka-crans were basically the same price.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

The one thing I remember growing up in Vancouver and becoming a Canucks fan were the $10 standing room only tickets at Pacific Coliseum. I remember being able to hit up the hapless 6 window ticket booth at PC asking for the cheapest tickets you can find and eventually move to a seat because the arena wasn't full most nights. I remember you actually had to go down to a beer garden to grab beer with your fake ID you just bought on Granville street back in the day. Molson piss, but as a teenager, what did you care?

On the odd time that snow actually stayed on our grounds for more than 48 hours, there was that hill at Queens Park in New Westminster and everyone would drive out that way and go tobogganing. There was also that hill off Great Northern Way near the VCC campus and where the Skytrain is now as well. I know we're a bit of a ways away from getting some snow on the ground, but these are a couple of reasons I look forward to winter out here on the west coast. Ah well, you can always go up on Grouse and do that stuff once the snow falls if we don't get it here closer to sea level, I suppose.