GDT: Canucks @ Sharks - 9/29 - 7:30pm - SNET-P, NHLN-US

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Sharks - 9/29 - 7:30pm - SNET-P, NHLN-US

Post by Southern_Canuck »

dhabums wrote:I'll NEVER understand why any hockey fan is confused by a fight after a cleanish hit. First off, the players on the ice may not have seen the replay 5 times. But more importantly, this has been happening FOREVER! Certainly nobody believes every fight in the 70s was a hero vs villain event. I realize that old people like to remember the 'good old days' as some sort of altrustic, romantic era, but they really weren't.

I'd hope we react the same way every time.
Hits against star players have always had an answer - but other clean hits were pretty much just admired.

Now, every hit gets an answer - not my favourite part of the game.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Haha - Tanev and Oreskovich knock each other down, hard - and the Thornton line takes possession, and scores.

Boyle with a nice snap shot in the low slot.

2-0 Sharks

S_C
That was men against boys. The game has lost all intensity, Canucks just skating around. I can't wait until the preseason is over. I'm tired of seeing 3 fourth lines every game.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

A team beating B team.....we are doing pretty good.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

rats19 wrote:A team beating B team.....we are doing pretty good.
It's about the process rats....... :look:
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Which process..saving the A team who played longer and harder than they ever have in thier careers and preparing to do it again? That process..?
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Other than some close calls during the first 5 on 3 that the Canucks had, I can't remember any other actual chances to score... unless you want to count Hansen's attempt to bank one off Griess from behind the net.

Worst offensive effort from the Canucks all pre-season.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Other than some close calls during the first 5 on 3 that the Canucks had, I can't remember any other actual chances to score... unless you want to count Hansen's attempt to bank one off Griess from behind the net.

Worst offensive effort from the Canucks all pre-season.

S_C
Meh.....sokay bro...
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Southern_Canuck wrote:
dhabums wrote:I'll NEVER understand why any hockey fan is confused by a fight after a cleanish hit. First off, the players on the ice may not have seen the replay 5 times. But more importantly, this has been happening FOREVER! Certainly nobody believes every fight in the 70s was a hero vs villain event. I realize that old people like to remember the 'good old days' as some sort of altrustic, romantic era, but they really weren't.

Hits against star players have always had an answer - but other clean hits were pretty much just admired.

S_C
Logan Couture is a star on the Sharks who took a low hit in a gosh darn exhibition game.

But what I really meant to say was I disagree with your opinion. It is a valid expression of the current state of hockey and I am in no position to question it. Just because the media decides to force feed their cause du jour down the throats of unsuspecting fans is no reason for me to respond.

Not to dilute a thread with facts, but fights are ALWAYS up in the preseason for at least 2 reasons. In the regular season, fights today are hovering around the mid 70's level. They are way below the 80s and 90s. But like I said, I do not want to bring in facts. For that I apologize. I would much rather discuss how many more fights we have these days for no good reason. I loved the good old days too. 25 cents for a bottle of Pepsi, I could go to the store and buy cigarettes for my mom and dad as long as I had a note and intermissions at movies. I don't miss walking uphill both ways to school in the snow or sharing a one room shack with 13 people, but overall it was a great experience.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

rats19 wrote:A team beating B team.....we are doing pretty good.
My biggest worry this preseason is that now I know the Chicago Wolves won't win the Stanley Cup. What a waste of $20 that was.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dhabums wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:

S_C
Logan Couture is a star on the Sharks who took a low hit in a gosh darn exhibition game.

But what I really meant to say was I disagree with your opinion. It is a valid expression of the current state of hockey and I am in no position to question it. Just because the media decides to force feed their cause du jour down the throats of unsuspecting fans is no reason for me to respond.

Not to dilute a thread with facts, but fights are ALWAYS up in the preseason for at least 2 reasons. In the regular season, fights today are hovering around the mid 70's level. They are way below the 80s and 90s. But like I said, I do not want to bring in facts. For that I apologize. I would much rather discuss how many more fights we have these days for no good reason. I loved the good old days too. 25 cents for a bottle of Pepsi, I could go to the store and buy cigarettes for my mom and dad as long as I had a note and intermissions at movies. I don't miss walking uphill both ways to school in the snow or sharing a one room shack with 13 people, but overall it was a great experience.
Stop it you are gonna make me cry snif snif :lol:

How did it cost you twenty bucks?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ill give you something to cry about..lol

20 .00 seasons tix...old days remember
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ukcanuck wrote: How did it cost you twenty bucks?
I bet $20 on the Wolves to win the SC. The odds were 400,000:1 and based on the Oilers being relegated to their proper league. A long shot for sure but worth a try.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

rats19 wrote:Ill give you something to cry about..lol

20 .00 seasons tix...old days remember
Funny you say that, I emailed my dad to see if he could find our tickets stubs and programs (a dollar I think?) from the 70s.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

dhabums wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: How did it cost you twenty bucks?
I bet $20 on the Wolves to win the SC. The odds were 400,000:1 and based on the Oilers being relegated to their proper league. A long shot for sure but worth a try.
what are the odds this the last time we use the oilers as poster boys for the butt of the joke?

with all them high draft picks i got an ugly feeling we will be remembering how lightning sometimes strikes twice...
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

On last night's game...

Hodgson - Yes he's improved over last year, yes he understands the game, yes he's had some good moments, yes he's stronger, but I've seen absolutely nothing from him so far that suggests he can be an productive, every day top 9 forward, let alone the 2nd line centre. Thankfully Kesler isn't out long-term, so any time Hodgson will spend there will be limited and can be chalked up as a learning experience, but unless his game somehow transforms when the regular season starts, a cup of coffee is all he's getting. I do think these last two games was far more indicative of the pace and challenge of a regular season game, and Cody struggled the most in those games. I'm sure there will be some who will be critical of AV's handling of Cody this training camp regardless of dressing him in 6 games and putting him in every possible role and allowing him to play with skilled veterans on his wings, or skilled prospects or checkers.

Ballard - Good and bad. He's improved his gap control and understands the system better, but he hasn't been stellar, and last night he had some very good moments and a couple of iffy ones, making a bad give-away in the 1st that didn't cost them and then getting caught up ice on the 3rd goal. Mistakes happen and the team was taking chances to get back in the game, but for a player that seemingly needs to gain the confidence of the coaches, I'm not sure Ballard has completely convinced the coaching staff. Perhaps playing with a full line-up and getting in meaningful games will bring something more out of Ballard.

Tanev - To say he's on the team is stating the obvious, but he's also going to playing on the right side every night unless he gets hurt. If his rapid progression continues, don't be surprised to see him paired with Edler at some point after the 10-20 game mark to allow them to rest and limit Salo's regular season minutes by having him on the 3rd pair.

Jensen - Hands down our best prospect in camp. Maybe that's not saying much, but as an 18 year old this kid has all the tools and abilities you'd want from a potential power forward. Just wait until he fills out his frame. He's still a little raw and needs to be a little more aware at all times, but that's nothing to be concerned about with an 18-year old. Honestly, I think the Canucks should give him 9 games.

Malhotra - He looked much better than the player we saw in the Cup final. He's obviously not where he was last year quite yet, but his performance in the face-off circle, on defense and positioning was pretty good. All in all, encouraging.

Eriksson - Like I said before, if he's willing to play in Chicago give him a 2-way deal. He can be solid depth insurance for us.

Schneider - Best Canuck on the ice last night and looks poised for a repeat performance, and maybe then some, this season.

Considering Cody and Ebbett's struggles, I propose the Canucks put Higgins as the 2nd line centre with Jensen and Samuelsson on his wings to start the year. Give Jensen 9 games or less depending on when Kesler comes back. I don't think Jensen is at the level where he can play an entire season in the NHL at this age and then be productive in the post-season, so at the moment it doesn't make sense to think too far ahead, but giving him some games for his development and a short-term boost to 2nd line isn't a bad idea.