pot calling the kettle black

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

CFP!
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: pot calling the kettle black

Post by CFP! »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:I think I'm going to side with Avery on this one.

I'd be pissed too if anyone ever called me this guy...

I still remember the day when the day when I entered the family room with my ma and pa and younger bro watching AFV and introduced myself as "Bob $%^^)#". My parents didn't laugh it off to say the least.

As for this "incident" - is it really one? We are talking about NHL'ers who know nothing but hockey and the majority of them have not finished post secondary education who boast to their buddies on how big their balls are. Same with many professional sports. It happens, and probably more than the gay/lesbian - friendly community likes - but it happens. Slowly I'm sure it will turn positive for those groups, but the first thing out of many players to get a rise will to attack family (Kesler/Backes)-- girlfriends (Avery/Phaneuf)--- or someones sexuality (Avery/Simmonds).

We haven't even touched the surface one what is actually said in the corners.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Oh yeah? Just wait until the Concerned Citizens For the Rights of Flesh-Eating Larvae get their hands on this...
GOOD GAWD!! :shock:

Well hopefully Brian Burke isn't their NHL spokesman....
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote: Trust me, I'm a great lip-reader, no way does Simmonds get fined/suspended here....
Not that it matters, but he is already off the hook. Although I am sure you meant to type 'mined".
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Better a banana than poo.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Also, my opinion in this matter is pretty simple. Whats said on the ice, stays on the ice.

Avery is simply trying to get someone else suspended for talking too much. the difference is that Avery was in a dressingroom, with a prepared slur, the slur involved an actress, and we made sure that the camera's were rolling beforee he let it loose.

Simmonds calling him a tail gunning, leather clad, donut puncher on the ice, in the heat of the moment.

One is a suspension for stupidity (although, I would have let Phaneuf sort it out :) ) - the other was a typical mouthing off on the ice.

end of story.

Reporters go home.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

porp wrote:Using a banana as an ethnic slur is so provincial. Step it up racists! Besides, you're going to confuse West Coast Asian-American/Canadian fans.
He should have thrown a plantain.

As for on-ice comments, the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I think the vast majority of people believe it is not acceptable for players to make racial insults to one another, on or off the ice. After all, one cannot choose the colour of their skin.

One's sexuality on the other hand...*cue born/choice debate*

Calling someone a fag, etc happens in a lot of sports at most levels / age groups.

The only people that can really remove it from the game are the on-ice officials (in all levels / age groups).

If the NHL truely does not want these type of insults in the game, have the refs start calling unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when they hear such insults and players will start choosing other words.

Do this in all levels / age groups and perhaps the use of these type of insults will decrease.
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

This, somewhat, reminds me of Eddy's watermelon 'trap' game day thread image. :lol:
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Corb wrote:This, somewhat, reminds me of Eddy's watermelon 'trap' game day thread image. :lol:

:lol: I really had no idea that bananas and watermelons were in the same family.

Ah, summer nights.
2011..... the one that got away.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Bananagate?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

KeyserSoze wrote:
porp wrote: Calling someone a fag, etc happens in a lot of sports at most levels / age groups.

The only people that can really remove it from the game are the on-ice officials (in all levels / age groups).

If the NHL truely does not want these type of insults in the game, have the refs start calling unsportsmanlike conduct penalties when they hear such insults and players will start choosing other words.

Do this in all levels / age groups and perhaps the use of these type of insults will decrease.
We had 2 refs in the VMBHL that would routinely warn players for any sort of foul language (spoken loudly) and then give penalties.

Really good trash talk doesn't require swearing at all. In fact, it's usually better without it.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

porp wrote:Using a banana as an ethnic slur is so provincial. Step it up racists! Besides, you're going to confuse West Coast Asian-American/Canadian fans.

The Associate Press did some pretty subtle work on the transcription of Obama's speech a couple of days ago (and even they are getting called out).
My thoughts exactly.

Next time go with the watermelon. Less confusion.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

dhabums wrote:
Zedlee wrote:What a non-issue. Avery victim of trash talking? My god what next.

News flash: hockey is a tough game and some guys hate each other...and call each other names.
As long as players are going to use homosexual slurs as insults there will be an issue. Feel free to read my post with a lisp. The English language is full of lovely terms that actually qualify as trash talk.
Should the NHL be posting the official list of acceptable and non-acceptable trash talk words?
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Tciso wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Zedlee wrote:What a non-issue. Avery victim of trash talking? My god what next.

News flash: hockey is a tough game and some guys hate each other...and call each other names.
As long as players are going to use homosexual slurs as insults there will be an issue. Feel free to read my post with a lisp. The English language is full of lovely terms that actually qualify as trash talk.
Should the NHL be posting the official list of acceptable and non-acceptable trash talk words?
If they tell players they can't say "well, obviously" at the start of each interview I'd e happy.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Also, my opinion in this matter is pretty simple. Whats said on the ice, stays on the ice.
I would generally agree with this. I would expect Colin Campbell is probably angrier with Sean Avery (for bringing this off the ice) than he is with Simmonds.

That being said, Simmonds needs to think a bit harder next time before opening his mouth - calling a noted shit stirrer and gay rights activist who has no problem airing dirty laundry in the media a term that (in other contexts) is... well is just not acceptable... if anyone had corroborated Avery's claim then I'd have a hard time sympathizing with Simmonds for whatever the league threw at him.

And in the presence of a verifiable claim, the league should do something about it. Stories in the media about this guy calling another guy faggot are bad PR, and the league is a business first and foremost. I would expect at least some of their sponsors would prefer not being associated with that kind of nomenclature.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I think I hear Per approaching...
That reminds me, are we still allowed to use the word "Swede" or has it become a synonym for you-know-what?
Rutabaga?

Refried swede with caramelized onions and bacon plus a gratin with goat’s cheese :shock:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.