The BS Suspension Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

The BS Suspension Thread

Post by dhabums »

With Shanny on a tear, I figured one thread could contain the nonsense we'll spew discussing the suspensions and all Ballard/Grabner related material.

Jacques got 5 regular season games for the 'fight' with Duco. Maybe have a team of s***-disturbers that won't fight IS the way to go?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: The BS Suspension Thread

Post by ESQ »

I'm basically happy with the suspensions, but the Jacques one was a real puzzler.

When Rome got the precedent-setting suspension in the finals, I was pissed more because I don't think the SCF is the place to start new precedents, particularly against a team with the un-disciplined Chara on it. But, I felt all along that if Rome's suspension actually did set a new precedent and suspensions would be stiffer from here on out, I was okay with it.

I'd certainly say it looks like suspensions are going to be longer and more frequent under Shanahan, as well as more transparent, so I'm all for it....until it happens to another Canuck :lol:
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Speaking of BS suspensions, Rome is really going to have to watch his ass now that repeat offenders are going to get hammered.
2011..... the one that got away.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

ESQ wrote:I'm basically happy with the suspensions, but the Jacques one was a real puzzler.
He really took rule 70.1 to task. That one suspension may scare off a lot of fights. It really surprises me that Wiz gets 8 games for the hit of Buttercup and Jacques gets 5. Seems a bit steep.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:Speaking of BS suspensions, Rome is really going to have to watch his ass now that repeat offenders are going to get hammered.
So does that mean Matt Cooke is one and done? For good? :?: :thumbs:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

All these heavy sentences Shanahan is laying down is all fine and dandy, but let's see what happens when an actual name player, or heaven forbid, a superstar, commits an infraction of similar or worse instance to the latest examples.

Who will be the first top tier player to come under the microscope, and will his sentence be deflated due to his status?

This, to me, is where Shanahan's decisions will come under immense scrutiny. Will he beat the same drum for the Ovechkin's as he does for the Jacques? Or will be buckle under the pressure from GM's, Presidents and the Owners who write his pay cheque?

Stand by, this is just getting started.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

LotusBlossom wrote:So does that mean Matt Cooke is one and done? For good? :?: :thumbs:
Yep.

Two minute penalty and a lifetime suspension for clearing the puck over the glass in his own end.
2011..... the one that got away.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:So does that mean Matt Cooke is one and done? For good? :?: :thumbs:
Yep.

Two minute penalty and a lifetime suspension for clearing the puck over the glass in his own end.
I'm sure there are some players in the NHL that would like that...lol

Maybe Matt Cooke could finally 'behave'
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

BladesofSteel wrote:All these heavy sentences Shanahan is laying down is all fine and dandy, but let's see what happens when an actual name player, or heaven forbid, a superstar, commits an infraction of similar or worse instance to the latest examples.
I know Wisniewski isn't considered a superstar but he is pulling in 7 million this season and Shanny had no problem suspending him for almost 10% of the season ($682,500). At this rate the NHLPA's emergency fund should be able to survive another season long lockout.
Last edited by Benjo on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

BladesofSteel wrote:All these heavy sentences Shanahan is laying down is all fine and dandy, but let's see what happens when an actual name player, or heaven forbid, a superstar, commits an infraction of similar or worse instance to the latest examples.

Who will be the first top tier player to come under the microscope, and will his sentence be deflated due to his status?

This, to me, is where Shanahan's decisions will come under immense scrutiny. Will he beat the same drum for the Ovechkin's as he does for the Jacques? Or will be buckle under the pressure from GM's, Presidents and the Owners who write his pay cheque?

It will be interesting if Ovechkin was to deserve a suspension a day before embarking on a west coast trip. Who'd be more pissed off; fans, the Caps or scalpers?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

This is why it's good to have a well known and respected former player making the calls. A no-name would have a hard time taking on the Ovechkins of the league. Some one like Shanahan actually has the credibility and good standing in the hockey community to be able to do it. It still remains to be seen, but I'm optimistic! :thumbs:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I agree Per, but you know there's a strong contingent of reporters just itching to start a buzz.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Per wrote: This is why it's good to have a well known and respected former player making the calls. A no-name would have a hard time taking on the Ovechkins of the league. Some one like Shanahan actually has the credibility and good standing in the hockey community to be able to do it. It still remains to be seen, but I'm optimistic! :thumbs:
Agree.

What I especially like is that he is just 2 years retired, and still very in-tune with todays game.

(Makes a lot more sense than a plug of a player who has not played a game in over 25 years making these type of decisions).

Not everyone is going to agree with every ruling, but I like the fact that Shanny is making a point of being more transparent, which creates more accountability on his part on future suspensions.

It will be interesting when a star player needs to be suspended, but I'll give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt at this point and hope he has not (yet) been too infected with league politics.

On a side note, did anyone catch Tanner Glass' tweet the other day?
I love that @NHLShanahan is explaining each suspension. Now look at the Douglas Murray hit on Lapierre last night. #RomeHorton? Explanation?
:lol:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

BladesofSteel wrote:I agree Per, but you know there's a strong contingent of reporters just itching to start a buzz.
I think keeping the reporters 'expert' opinions out of it and having the EBL's simply report the facts wil go a long way to making Shanny's job easier. And for what its worth, with the Rome suspension setting the bar, so long as the bar doesn't slip, I am fine with it.

Carry on, Shanny.
Carry on.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

dhabums wrote: It will be interesting if Ovechkin was to deserve a suspension a day before embarking on a west coast trip. Who'd be more pissed off; fans, the Caps or scalpers?
If Ovechkin deserves a suspension, so be it. Who cares about the Caps or scalpers? The fans for the other 29 teams will be applauding instead of being pissed off. I never understand why a superstar deserves a better treatment than a 4th liner. Do you remember what happened to Willie Mitchell when he was hit from behind by Malkin?? :evil: