Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potatoe1 wrote:

And Blob it is easy to fuck up steak.

Most people don't know the different cuts. They don't know the grading systems. They don't know what a good steak looks like when it isn't cooked. They don't know how to properly season it.

Most of all they have no clue how to cook it. The chances of going to a friends house, ordering a medium rare steak and actually getting something even close to that seems very slim in my experience.
Absolutely.......you can fuck up anything if you try hard enough. I usually get beff tenderloins from Costco or i have a buddy who owns a butcher shop and he hooks me up with some big ass chunks of prime rib and hacks me off a few roasts and steaks for a real good price. Blobcat does not do the hackin and whackin but he can cook a little.........not Topper levels but I actually enjoy cooking unlike a lot of fellas.

The rub is key and salting, usually like to marinate the steaks in nothing more than buddy's secret rub, lots of salt, olive oil, garlic and occasionally a little red wine. Six to eight hours is usually sufficient, but it's also a good idea to have a decent cue to cook shit on. I love the broil king we picked up last year as opposed to the home depot chunk of shit I had before. I like briquette bbqs but I really don't like having to constantly buy briquettes and I had a bad experience with lighter fluid last year so i hate that shit.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Corb »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: beff tenderloins
Is that a tofu product? ;)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The best thing you can do with a tenderloin is eat it raw. Next best is carpaccio.

I bought some flank steak the other day and grilled it, sliced it up and tossed it with some greens. Rare beef salad. Add the blood to the salad dressing :D
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Potatoe1 wrote: Friday night I had the crab cakes at the Dahilia lounge, Saturday mooring was Brunch at Lolas which was just OK, and Saturday night I had perhaps the best pizza I have ever eaten at "Serious Pie" (how the hell can Pizza be that good?).
I've had the highly touted crab cakes at Dahlia...they were'nt bad, but I've had an asian style pork dish with chinese sausage there on a different occasion that was even better.

Haven't tried Serious Pie yet though...next time.

Next time you go, try Salumi (run by Mario Batali's father) for lunch for one of the best cured meat sandwiches you will ever have. Topper told me about this place and I tried it a few years back and it's become a must stop for lunch if I'm ever in Seattle.
Hank wrote: In my opinion, Vancity is great for ethnic cuisine, but north american? Mostly pretty meh.
:eh:
Compared to where?
And define "north american" cuisine...
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Went to Ensemble this weekend.

Ordered family style at our table and got to try 7 different dishes...everything was delicious...highly recommended.

Nice to see a restaurant doing well in that location.

EDIT - speaking of Ensemble, Dale Mackay is opening a new pub downtown this December...

The concept sounds like a BBQ and beer-heavy pub that will serve the kind of fare that you’d normally associate with the milieu (nachos, burgers, bangers, pot pies, etc) only elevated to a level where just about everything is made in house from scratch and by hand. It’ll be sports heavy, too, with some fifteen 45″ flat screen TVs. Helming the kitchen will be chef de cuisine Bradley Hendrickson (now at Ensemble), with former DB Bistro sous chefs Alex Amos (recently Mission Hill) and Greg Reid (recently Quail’s Gate) in support. There will be a 40 foot bar of reclaimed wood to tend, and another 80 seats in an expansive dining room (with mezzanine). Running the show will be current Ensemble barman Christopher Cho, with operations back-up from the lovely and talented Ali Maher, formerly the maitre’d at DB Bistro.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Went to Cioppino's before the game on Saturday night...

Wow, the special was rack of lamb in a light curry sauce and it was perhaps the lamb I have had .

Wine menu and appys were also ridiculous.

Wasn't super happy when the bill came but wow, great dinner over all.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:Went to Cioppino's before the game on Saturday night...

Wow, the special was rack of lamb in a light curry sauce and it was perhaps the lamb I have had .

Pino is a notorious asshole. Treats staff and suppliers like shit.

His food may be good, but I wouldn't step foot in his joint.

He has cameras in his fridges to keep and eye on his staff. A friend worked there, showed up on the line and said hello to his co-worker, Pino reamed him a new one for it.

He's been known to put a box of produce that does not quite meet his standards in his car, drive to the supplier and while trowing the produce all over the floor, unleash and expletive riddled tirade.

Small children don't throw tantrums like Pino does.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

KeyserSoze wrote: And define "north american" cuisine...
Pemmican, raw seal meat and pop corn? :eh:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Topper wrote:The best thing you can do with a tenderloin is eat it raw. Next best is carpaccio.

I bought some flank steak the other day and grilled it, sliced it up and tossed it with some greens. Rare beef salad. Add the blood to the salad dressing :D

Yes sirree!! Wipe the ass and put it on a plate :D
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:Went to Cioppino's before the game on Saturday night...

Pino is a notorious asshole. Treats staff and suppliers like shit.

His food may be good, but I wouldn't step foot in his joint.
Wait so Topper has a problem with other people being assholes ?

(smile)
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Brian asks us to play nice.......otherwise. :D

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Per wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote: And define "north american" cuisine...
Pemmican, raw seal meat and pop corn? :eh:
Put some venison on that list and then we're talking ;)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Topper wrote:The best thing you can do with a tenderloin is eat it raw. Next best is carpaccio.

Amen to that! Carpaccio...I need to get Mr.LB to make that at home soon.

Been wanting to check out Hapa Izakaya...anyone been? I like Guu but I'd love to try another place. Heard some good stuff about this place, though.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The best sushi on the North Shore, and apparently one of the best in the city, is Hachi Hana on Lonsdale.

Try it.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

LotusBlossom wrote: Been wanting to check out Hapa Izakaya...anyone been? I like Guu but I'd love to try another place. Heard some good stuff about this place, though.
Not yet, but I've heard good things as well.
As far as izakaya's go, Kingyo is at the top of my list to try.