Dining in Vancouver

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Dining in Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potatoe1 wrote:

Since Topper taught me how to properly cook a steak I have been incredibly disappointed with anything from a restaurant.

the Kegs has always been crap, but I wouldn't wipe my ass with their food now.
Yes he taught you to remove that nice piece of red meat from the George Foremen grill to the barbecue. :lol:

the Foreman grill could turn the best steak into a fucking catchers mitt. Steaks are pretty easy to not screw up as long as you don't keep flipping them every 90 seconds. I swear I want to rip the flipper out of buddy's hands when I'm at a friends for dinner. :twisted:

As an asside I have a couple hundred in gift certificates to the Keg. While it isn't a great place to eat something tells me i should be able to get a decent meal for the wife and I ......either that or I load up on overpriced booze.

I have had shitty steaks at the keg but I have also had good ones as well. I mean how hard is it to fuck up a nice NY steak or a rib eye ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Foreman Grill!! :lol:

Seriously I've never understood why folks flock to The Keg.

Well at least the one in Abby is nicer since they reno-ed it.

And dimmed the lights.

Although I'm pretty sure they did that make it harder to see the rats.

That's right: RATS!! :shock:

Big ones, I have friends who there when a stampede occured.

Seriously, if you ever eat at The Keg in Abby and don't feel like paying, just climb up on your chair and scream "RAT!!! oh my GAWD i just saw a RAT!!!". They will NOT question it.

:roll:

Or better yet, just don't eat there....
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Never been there......
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Exterminate

With extreme prejudice.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Yes he taught you to remove that nice piece of red meat from the George Foremen grill to the barbecue.
Heh, something like that.

To be honest I became a bit obsessed with cooking steaks. I tried a ton of different butchers, a ton of different cuts, different rubs, different flavours of butter on top.

I learned about marbling, I learned how to trim and cut full tenderloins and rib roasts.

And Blob it is easy to fuck up steak.

Most people don't know the different cuts. They don't know the grading systems. They don't know what a good steak looks like when it isn't cooked. They don't know how to properly season it.

Most of all they have no clue how to cook it. The chances of going to a friends house, ordering a medium rare steak and actually getting something even close to that seems very slim in my experience.

Normally what you get when you have a friend cook you a steak is a mediocre cut of meat that has almost no sear on the outside, almost no pink in the middle and not even close to enough salt on it.

The 8$ steak specials at most of the local pubs around here a typically miles better then what most people chrun out in their own home.

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
I have had shifty steaks at the keg but I have also had good ones as well. I mean how hard is it to funk up a nice NY steak or a rib eye ?
I have had every cut of meat there at one point or another and the only edible one is the tenderloin.

The sirloins take a week to chew through, and the other cuts are only marginally better.

Personally I think they start with crazy cheap meat and just dress it up with some nice fixings.

As far as the gift certificates go, I would suggests the prime rib, I have heard good things.

I actually like going to the Keg, they are usually nice inside and the service is generally exceptional. I just can believe that a fairly expensive steakhouse serves such poor quality meat.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I used to enjoy the Keg when I lived in the lower mainland, but then I had a string of bad meals. Each time, I'd complain to the manager > get a gift certificate > get another bad meal > complain [repeat]

I agree with Pot's comments about friends' bbq'ing attempts. The worst part is that you can't send it back...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hank wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote: As for the Morton's thing, I've never really been all that impressed. I could probably get the same fare at the Keg Caesars.
Really LB? No offense to anyone but Keg is the crappiest steak for the amount of money paid. Prime rib is edible though.

Now I don't know a darn thing about what a good steak is, but my memory recalls the best steak I ever eaten at a restaurant in Vancity was the $50 aged porterhouse at Morton's. I doggy-bagged the New York side home, reheated it in the microwave (blasphemy!) the next day and it was STILL the best most tenderest steak I ever had. I guess I need to eat more red meat.

I hate to say anything good about Cowtown but their steakhouses are WAY better than here.
That's the thing I would rather eat at the Keg than I would at Morton's. Also, unfortunate for me, the Morton's in Vancouver was one of the worst experiences I've had with steak. Odd right? Well, it just was.

Actually the best steak I had ever was in St. Louis in a place called Carmine's. I was out there working and we had a few of the locals recommend the place and we weren't disappointed. I'd have to say the second best steak was in Albuquerque, New Mexico at a place called Vernon's Hidden Valley Steakhouse. It was set up like a speak-easy through a back door of a liquor store. The phrase to get in was "Joe sent me." Very cool place and I enjoyed the food thoroughly.

As far as steak goes, I hardly go out for it, because growing up, I had a chef at home cooking for my sisters and myself. Nowadays, I have this awesome grill master and I am pretty proficient in the kitchen myself.

Hank, you're so right about the steakhouses in Cowtown...much better than anything out here...God that hurt to say..lol
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

LotusBlossom wrote: That's the thing I would rather eat at the Keg than I would at Morton's. Also, unfortunate for me, the Morton's in Vancouver was one of the worst experiences I've had with steak. Odd right? Well, it just was.

Actually the best steak I had ever was in St. Louis in a place called Carmine's. I was out there working and we had a few of the locals recommend the place and we weren't disappointed. I'd have to say the second best steak was in Albuquerque, New Mexico at a place called Vernon's Hidden Valley Steakhouse. It was set up like a speak-easy through a back door of a liquor store. The phrase to get in was "Joe sent me." Very cool place and I enjoyed the food thoroughly.

As far as steak goes, I hardly go out for it, because growing up, I had a chef at home cooking for my sisters and myself. Nowadays, I have this awesome grill master and I am pretty proficient in the kitchen myself.

Hank, you're so right about the steakhouses in Cowtown...much better than anything out here...God that hurt to say..lol
You got some good stories to tell! Unfortunately I can't leave the country every time I want to orgasm while eating steak. The worst part about places like Morton's and Got Ham is paying the bill.

In my opinion, Vancity is great for ethnic cuisine, but north american? Mostly pretty meh.

Hey Eddy, I just got un-revoked and my permanent BC Resident status back! Stamped by LB. Also, as a special bonus, a 3-month no-ban membership to the Bountiful boards to torment the special kidz. How you like that?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is Lotus Blossum like and Uptown Girl or something? A high roller on high heels?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hank wrote:Hey Eddy, I just got un-revoked and my permanent BC Resident status back! Stamped by LB. Also, as a special bonus, a 3-month no-ban membership to the Bountiful boards to torment the special kidz. How you like that?
In the future just make sure to keep your meat away from the microwave.

It will make you impotent.
2011..... the one that got away.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Exterminate

With extreme prejudice.
Once upon a time in a world far away, those were words to live by eh Toppy? ;)

The problem with The Keg is the location near the tracks, by the greenbelt.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote: Exterminate

With extreme prejudice.
Once upon a time in a world far away, those were words to live by eh Toppy? ;)

The problem with The Keg is the location near the tracks, by the greenbelt.
Yes, once upown a time... now it's all care bears and buttercups.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Trying out Topper's famous steak recipe tonight with a nice fat ribeye on a charcoal grill. Plan on washing it down with fifteen Coronas, three fatties and a trip to the drunk tank.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

RoyalDude wrote:Is Lotus Blossum like and Uptown Girl or something? A high roller on high heels?
I'd rather spend the $$ on better places to eat Dude. My dad taught me if I am going to spend money to eat out, pick a worthy place (he was a chef). The other half and I cook quite a bit at home, but when we do go out, we'll find a place to eat that's a little better than your average Cactus Club or Earl's etc. That's all.

I also have an expense account when I do work out of town, so I can experience what other cities have to offer. I make lunch most days, I make breakfast most days, and about 5-6 days a week, dinner is at home. It's just when we go out, we'd rather hit up a good place than hit up generic fare.

Let's just say the past 2 years, since I dropped the attitude of hitting up small businesses to solicit mine, it's been easier to have a 'snack' at Rodney's than it has been in the past.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Rumsfeld wrote: Plan on washing it down with fifteen Coronas
Beer so bad you have to add lime juice to make it palatable.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.