And so ends the world as we know it...

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

And so ends the world as we know it...

Post by Per »

It's not the end of the world, just the end of what we thought we knew about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484 :shock:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Re: And so ends the world as we know it...

Post by Topper »

and I feel fine
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:and I feel fine

like measuring the speed of a beard hair growing...but the other end of the spectrum...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

:lol:

Didn't they (REM) officially break up?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

See ...... this is why we can never rely on "scientific consensus"!!!

:mrgreen:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LotusBlossom wrote:

but that was only the speed of sound

33 1/3
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:

but that was only the speed of sound

33 1/3

like this?http://dublab.com/look/film-finds/33-13 ... er-monkee/
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote:See ...... this is why we can never rely on "scientific consensus"!!!

Attaboy Aaron... finally!

Ummm, you're welcome. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:See ...... this is why we can never rely on "scientific consensus"!!!

Attaboy Aaron... finally!

Ummm, you're welcome. :mex:
There's a consensus on religion? 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: There's a consensus on religion? 8-)
No, thank God.

Speaking of religion...

Could there be anything more "unscientific" than the "scientific consensus" of the "scientific community"??

"For example, it is generally agreed that scientific hypotheses and theories must be capable of being independently tested and verified by other scientists in order to become accepted by the scientific community."

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

"Scientific consensus is not by itself a scientific argument, and it is not part of the scientific method."

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus

Just sayin....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

Strangelove wrote:Speaking of religion...

Could there be anything more "unscientific" than the "scientific consensus" of the "scientific community"??
*cough* *cough* The King James... oh nevermind.

Anyway, they'll either figure out where they've got their measurements buggered up, or your favourite community is going to have to find some new consensus. The latter option is mindblowingly huge, but most scientists would probably prefer it. Either way, I'm pretty sure nobody's going to get burned at the stake or excommunicated, no young extremist PhDs are going to be flying planes into buildings, nobody's going to picket CERN with pro-neutrino and anti-neutrino demonstrations, or engage in any of those other violent routines that seem to come with believing in the good book and loving your fellow man.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sick Bunny wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Speaking of religion...

*cough* *cough* The King James...
Hmmm... two different kinds of 'belief', right?

You're comparing the unscientific-ness of the Bible to that of the "scientific consensus of the scientific community".

Interesting...
Sick Bunny wrote: I'm pretty sure nobody's going to get burned at the stake or excommunicated, no young extremist PhDs are going to be flying planes into buildings, nobody's going to picket CERN with pro-neutrino and anti-neutrino demonstrations, or engage in any of those other violent routines that seem to come with believing in the good book and loving your fellow man.
Now you're comparing the morality of other religions to morality within the scientific community where it comes to determining consensus. :look:

One should first point out that many within the scientific community also believe in God/belong to "other religions".

One might point out that those "God-less bastards" of Communist Russia engaged in plenty of "violent routines".

And that those violent-routine loving Nazis of WWII Germany invoked a platform of evolutionary Scientific Racism.

Hey, Scientific Racism was once the scientific consensus of the western world's scientific community!

Speaking of WWII wasn't it cool how the various "scientific communities" were battling to build The Bomb??

One wonders if American atheists were in favour of the somewot violent acts of nuking Hiroshima & Nagasaki.

But I digress...

Point is: violent routines are committed by those within/not-within the scientific community, religious-folk/atheists, etc.

... so how's-about putting an end your evil witch-hunt there Castabunny. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

Strangelove wrote:You're comparing the unscientific-ness of the Bible to that of the "scientific consensus of the scientific community".
Only in the sense that one is infinitely "more" unscientific. Otherwise it's an apples-to-hot-air comparison.
Now you're comparing the morality of other religions to morality within the scientific community where it comes to determining consensus. :look:
I'm not -- who said anything about morality? I'm simply comparing norms of discourse and acceptable ways of expressing disagreement in the scientific and religious communities.
One might point out that those "God-less bastards" of Communist Russia engaged in plenty of "violent routines".

And that those violent-routine loving Nazis of WWII Germany invoked a platform of evolutionary Scientific Racism.
So now you're saying religious violence is OK because "look the Commies and the Nazis did it too"? :look: Ouch.

Besides, just because both the Commies and the Nazis tried to cloak their ideology in some sort of pseudo-scientific babble, does not make them a part of the "scientific community" and the "scientific consensus". Plenty of scientists actively opposed them and their "theories". In any case, both Communism and Nazism are entirely faith-based systems that ought to be compared to religion and not science.
Speaking of WWII wasn't it cool how the various "scientific communities" were battling to build The Bomb??
So? It's wartime, your government asks you to build this weapon before the guys on the other side do, what are you going to do, seriously?
... so how's-about putting an end your evil witch-hunt there Castabunny. :mex:
I wonder who's doing the witch-hunting, Doc. I pop my head in here once in a blue moon, and you're on about scientists again... :mex:
Sick Bunny
CC Veteran

Post by Sick Bunny »

Strangelove wrote:One wonders if American atheists
Saw something today that reminded me of this argument...

As Artie used to say, "interesting, interesting" (WTH is he anyways?)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Oh I wouldn't call it an "argument" Bunny.

Its more like I'm trying to help you and you're pretending you don't understand.

Is there anything more political than the selection process at the National Academy of Sciences?? :roll:

They don't tend to like non-atheists much....

I wouldn't be surprised if 93% of the 2,100 members are atheists.

(or at least claim to be atheists) ;)

Prolly more than 21 of em should be in jail though. :mrgreen:

So 33% of US scientists are atheists compared to 93% of your precious NAS??

Yep, politics....
____
Try to focus on someday.