Sept 22 GDT - Canucks vs Oilers in Edmonton 6pm - TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Sept 22 GDT - Canucks vs Oilers in Edmonton 6pm - TSN

Post by herb »

Hank wrote:Doe anyone still ask how the heck the twins manage to beat guys on the rush or on the boards? They're still physically average, has only decent speed, not super quick or agile, don't beat defenders one-on-one with their stickhandling but still they get the job done and win scoring titles.
I disagree.

Physically, the twins are incredibly well conditioned athletes. They are very strong on the puck and along the boards. Their conditioning and the intensity of their training has been referenced many times by the coaching staff and teammates.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

herb wrote:
Hank wrote:Doe anyone still ask how the heck the twins manage to beat guys on the rush or on the boards? They're still physically average, has only decent speed, not super quick or agile, don't beat defenders one-on-one with their stickhandling but still they get the job done and win scoring titles.
I disagree.

Physically, the twins are incredibly well conditioned athletes. They are very strong on the puck and along the boards. Their conditioning and the intensity of their training has been referenced many times by the coaching staff and teammates.
I think Hank has mistaken them for The Sedins of 1999 not 2011.

Also, if you haven't really seen the Sedins live ever or recently, the television doesn't do their skills any justice. I am a season ticket holder and see almost all 41 games at Rogers Arena and they still amaze me with their skill set.

They get it done because:

1) They are already very naturally talented players who have a knack for racking up the points together
2) They work very hard to develop the 'weaker' parts of their game. When they first came into the league they were easy to move off the puck and had a harder time staying on their skates. They worked on improving those aspects of their game and it's worked out well for the two of them.
3) Stickhandling: Really? You don't think these guys can move the puck well one on one?
4) Last but not least, as herb has said, they are very well conditioned athletes. They are very dedicated to their craft and are a perfect example of how NHL hockey players should dedicate themselves to being the best they can be on the ice and in the gym.That's something Dustin Byfuglien could never understand or any of those dipshits that take the off-season for granted and get all out of shape.

Still think they are average, Hank?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Aiyah!!! Mein Gott!

I didn't say the twins weren't physically well-conditioned or that they're not great stickhandlers (Their forte isn't to beat defenders one-on-one with blazing speed and deft dekes like say a Kovalchuk. That's my point. They gain the zone slickly by brilliant little passes to each other and then cycle you to death with puck control. How often did you see Dan or Hank single-handedly rush through and leave jockstraps at the blueline. Plenty of jockstraps in the corners and sideboards though.) I've been on the interwebz since 1999 engaging in heated discussions about the twins unique skills that others could not appreciate at the time. They still aren't Pavel Bure, but who cares? Some people can't see the value of players unless they play a certain way.

I'm using this comparison as exaggeration because here we go again with Cody. It's the Sedins, Kesler, Schneider, they suck... all over again.

Canuck fans especially love to eat their own, claiming our prospects don't have skating speed, don't have size, don't have physically intimidating stature, don't have grit, are career checkers, blah blah blah, so they will never succeed like other draft picks. Everyone loves to drool over simple things like skating, flashiness, etc. that any hard-working player can improve on. You can't teach hockey sense and hands that CoHo has in spades.

Remember how "awful" the Sedins were to Canuck fans? Cody looks to be as shitty as them sisters. Get it? Sarcasm? Then everyone will say "See? I told you so" in a few years... I hope :D
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hank wrote:[ Doe anyone still ask how the heck the twins manage to beat guys on the rush or on the boards? They're still physically average, has only decent speed, not super quick or agile, don't beat defenders one-on-one with their stickhandling but still they get the job done and win scoring titles. Not saying that's what will happen with Cody... even if he clones himself.
The Twins win scoring titles because of hockey IQ, puck skills, and a ferocious dedication to their craft.

The are the best example in the league of how there is many ways to skin a cat.

Athletically they were given less then just about any other superstar, but they have made up for their physical shortcomings by being incredibly smart and ridiculously hard workers off the ice.

Cody appears to have similar qualities but to claim he will achieve the same level of success appears naive at this point.

BTW AV singling out Daniel for having "the best V02 he has ever seen as an NHL coach" is pretty unbelievable given the shortened summer and the fact Daniel is now in his early 30's.

And Hank I get the point you were making. As far as prospects go, the reality is most of them do not pan out so some folks lov to rag on all of them in the hope of looking like sooth sayers down the line.

For the record I like Hodgson, and think he will be a good player for us down the line. He doesn't have the traditional skill set but he does a number of things very well and he seems like a kid that is extremely dedicated to becoming the best player he can.

The back injury really put him back but with the hard work he seems willing to put in, he could right the ship quite quickly.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Pot, I agree. I should have used a term like "appearing athletically un-gifted" to describe.

I like to temper my enthusiasm for everything Canucks with a child-like naivety :|

However is it totally bat-shit crazy to think that Cody could become the second line center in a few years and possibly a point-a-game guy at some point, at the Sedin or Kesler development rate?

Would it be nuts given our recent drafting and development history with some of our 1st rounders? It appears he has that same work ethic and demonic will to succeed as our top players. Without the back injury I do see a glimpse of that potential.

I myself believed the twins had plateaued a few years ago at point-a-game players, and Kesler was as about as elite as he would get offensively. I was pleasantly surprised, no, ecstatic to be wrong.

I guess we will see in due time.

ps. LB and Herb, sorry if it looked like I was yelling at you. LOL.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Hank wrote: However is it totally bat-shit crazy to think that Cody could become the second line center in a few years and possibly a point-a-game guy at some point, at the Sedin or Kesler development rate?
No, not at all.

I Think he has a very similar make up to Joe Pavalski and will follow a similar development path now tha his back problems seem to be behind him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Potatoe1 wrote: Athletically they were given less then just about any other superstar
They were also given 40- 50 seconds on every PP and decent ice time every game. They broke in on a bubble playoff team and not a contender. They were given these things long before they earned them. The twins are the poster boys for mollycoddling prospects.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Thank god that we do that with our top prospects in these here parts eh Blob? ;)