GDT(s) Sept 20 - Canucks vs. Calgary Split Squads! 6pm & 7pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT(s) Canucks at Calgary and Calgary at Canucks Sept 20

Post by Benjo »

Thank god Eddie Lack had a growth spurt over the summer so he's 6'5 now :mrgreen:
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Hmmmm

Saddledome
Calgary 9 powerplays
Vancouver 2 powerplays

Rogers
Calgary 5 powerplays
Vancouver 0 powerplays

S_C
I'm not sure about the game in Vancouver, because I'm only getting the game in Calgary, but it sound's like a lot of the penalties the Canucks are getting, are a result of not skating. They seem to be getting a lot of penalties trying to hook, hold, etc. The Flames seem to be skating well and causing the penalties.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Rogers - Lack with a great save off of Glencross.

Saddledome - Calgary with their 11th and 12th powerplays of the game. Sheesh - Auger?

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Rogers - Pinozzotto to Schroeder on a 2 on 1, and Schroeder confidently slams it in.

3-3

S_C
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Desbiens crosschecks Roussel, Roussel drops the gloves, and gets the better of the scrap.

S_C
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Steve Pinizzotto - Jordan Schroeder - Nicklas Jensen

Good looking young line,sure one goal by Jensen was lucky but they play well together.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Tanev hits post and Ballard's skating is unrecognizable compared to last season.
Scintillator
CC Veteran

Post by Scintillator »

Benjo wrote:Tanev hits post and Ballard's skating is unrecognizable compared to last season.
+2 on Ballard, he's whizzing around out there, lugging the biscuit, dipsy-doodlin, jiggin and jivvin. Oh, yeah, he's making better decisions with the puck too.... AV :hmmm:
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Southern_Canuck wrote:Desbiens crosschecks Roussel, Roussel drops the gloves, and gets the better of the scrap.

S_C
I liked Desbiens for no real reason, but has anyone seen him win a fight?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sturm was good it seems, as was Läck.

Did anyone actually go watch the game at Rogers?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Tough to draw conclusions from pre-season games (level of competition is obviously several notches down from regular NHL) – however here are some things that stood out:

Rogers:

Ballard was all over the ice, with Tanev deferring to him on breakouts, and forwards forcing it to him at the point. His skating looked very good, and he was aggressive along the boards in the defensive zone. He looked comfortable in such an unstructured game.
You’ve got to like the skating Tanev showed on his goal, and he continued to look calm in his own zone. Very promising.

I was interested in how Schroeder would look compared to Ebbett – in this game, Schroeder showed better vision and playmaking. He is still not a very aggressive forechecker, but he came back hard to his own zone on the backcheck. His line with Jensen and Pinozzotto showed chemistry as the game wore on.
Although Ebbett may make the team out of camp because of injuries, he played a disappointing perimeter game.
Other than Nolan’s one 2-on-1 chance that he shot high and wide, he didn’t have the puck much – not sure if he has the skating to keep up.
Sturm has good hands, and was in the right spot for his rebound goal.
Rodin-Lapierre-Volpatti had zero chemistry, and had difficulty maintaining possession.

Saddledome:

With very few veteran players, the Canucks were hemmed in their own zone for much of the game, and had to kill 12 penalties (Calgary went 2 for 12). The defensive zone play was sloppy, breakout passes were virtually nonexistent, and coverage from backchecking forwards was poor.

Hodgson was saddled with two wingers that couldn’t maintain possession or make a pass, so he created a few chances pretty much single-handed. Other than Hodgson, no one stood out offensively as the forwards were either chipping it out of their own zone or playing dump and chase for the most part.

On D, Anders Eriksson looked rusty, and was behind the play – I could see him getting cut early from this camp.
I was disappointed with Connauton, who has difficulty checking players in his own zone. Too passive in front of his own net, and loses puck battles along the boards; somehow he ended up -3.
I was hoping for more out of Erixon – he's my dark horse candidate to nab an NHL job, but he looked small and ineffective out there. Hopefully he’ll get some more chances, and get some more powerplay time.

S_C
jackalman
CC Veteran

Re: GDT(s) Sept 20 - Canucks vs. Calgary Split Squads! 6pm &

Post by jackalman »

Hey SC good to see you and Ballard are getting along a little better. Agree with every thing in your post...Tanev is going to be a damn good D man. Anyway just want to know if you are going to do one of your Follow the future treads here at corner? I for one think they were great threads, and hope you keep them coming every year.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Hodgson was saddled with two wingers that couldn’t maintain possession or make a pass, so he created a few chances pretty much single-handed. Other than Hodgson, no one stood out offensively as the forwards were either chipping it out of their own zone or playing dump and chase for the most part.

S_C
I don't think I'll ever understand what CoHo is going to be made of if he keeps getting dumped with crap linemates. If he looked impressed with a sea of crap, perhaps AV will reward him by playing him with some guys with at least some potential on Saturday. Seriously, the kid always seems to get shafted IMO. I rarely agree with Tony Gallagher, but his last rant about Hodgson not getting any leeway with AV is right. AV is making MG's 1st ever draft pick look like a plug, and he's not.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
jackalman
CC Veteran

Re: GDT(s) Sept 20 - Canucks vs. Calgary Split Squads! 6pm &

Post by jackalman »

I agree LB. I have always had issues with some of AVs decitions but his handling of Hodgson is something else. Give him a game centering Sedin and Burr for christ sakes, see what he's got. It's pre season AV!!! It doesn't matter if they loose, and judging by the group you sent to cow town, winning isn't a high priority anyway. I can't help but get the impression AV WANTS Hodgson to fail. If this continues I will have lost all faith in our head coach, and hope that MG does something about it! Now I don't want to anything to be given to Cody that he hasn't earned, but give him a chance in a position that he could actually succeed in.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

LotusBlossom wrote:I don't think I'll ever understand what CoHo is going to be made of if he keeps getting dumped with crap linemates. If he looked impressed with a sea of crap, perhaps AV will reward him by playing him with some guys with at least some potential on Saturday. Seriously, the kid always seems to get shafted IMO. I rarely agree with Tony Gallagher, but his last rant about Hodgson not getting any leeway with AV is right. AV is making MG's 1st ever draft pick look like a plug, and he's not.
I think Hodgson made the best of a bad situation last night, and that will help his cause.

I'd like to see what Hodgson and Sturm could do together... both have good awareness and soft hands (you're soaking in it).
jackalman wrote:I agree LB. I have always had issues with some of AVs decitions but his handling of Hodgson is something else. Give him a game centering Sedin and Burr for christ sakes, see what he's got. It's pre season AV!!! It doesn't matter if they loose, and judging by the group you sent to cow town, winning isn't a high priority anyway. I can't help but get the impression AV WANTS Hodgson to fail. If this continues I will have lost all faith in our head coach, and hope that MG does something about it! Now I don't want to anything to be given to Cody that he hasn't earned, but give him a chance in a position that he could actually succeed in.
Nah - if you watch AVs interviews on CanucksTV he is very supportive of prospects in general - I don't believe for a second that he has it in for Hodgson. Instead, I think he looks for hard workers that want to learn and do what it takes. If you're not that kind of guy, then AV doesn't want you. With the hustle and try that Hodgson showed in the first game, I think he'll be in good with AV.

Don't forget that Hodgson got 6 or 7 pre-season games last year, and was kept by AV until the bitter end, lining up with NHL wingers... he just wasn't healthy enough to stick. Different ballgame this year.

S_C