Bertuzzi/Moore

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Bertuzzi/Moore

Post by Cornuck »

No personal attacks in the "Bar & Grill" either. It's a simple rule, and sometimes things will get out of hand, but it's just a good idea to think twice about throwing out insults. Like most people, I come here for hockey talk and some off topic banter - insults and name calling add nothing to the site (and I hate having to edit posts).

So.... about the Bertuzzi / Moore incident and eventual trial...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: No personal attacks in the "Bar & Grill" either.
Now THAT is one we're adjusting to.

Remarkably well considering!

Mind you a lot of it was nothing more than good-natured ribbing.

Yeah, hard to tell the difference sometimes when one doesn't know the history....

But hey, it's all good!

HOME SWEET HOME!!! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: my buddy Fred (under another handle)
Kinda like Chazz Bono......he also has a new handle.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Tciso wrote:The guy was 26, making league minimum, or close to it ($425k), and had 12 points in 68 games. Given the lockout, he would have been lucky to sign another contract at any level. I don't know what he received so far, but I can't see how anything more than $1mil can be justified, as that would likely be way more then he would ever earn playing another 3 or 4 years in Europe or other 2nd tier hockey league. Ad in 50 bucks for pain ans suffering, and take away 6 bucks for being an ass leaves it at a cool $1,000,044 total.
I think ending the award with the $44 is just adding insult to injury. :wink:

This one got lost in the derailment.... :rofl:
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Jovorock wrote: How other boards operate, is their business , if personal attacks are allowed on the other CC board then that's fine. But personal attack are not allowed on this board. I don't make the rules, I follow them.
No one said anything about accepting personal attacks, and I wasn't criticizing this board's rule, but whatever, I've said my piece whether it's ignored or not.

Carry on debating a dead player..errr..horse topic.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ukcanuck wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:
Tciso wrote:The guy was 26, making league minimum, or close to it ($425k), and had 12 points in 68 games. Given the lockout, he would have been lucky to sign another contract at any level. I don't know what he received so far, but I can't see how anything more than $1mil can be justified, as that would likely be way more then he would ever earn playing another 3 or 4 years in Europe or other 2nd tier hockey league. Ad in 50 bucks for pain ans suffering, and take away 6 bucks for being an ass leaves it at a cool $1,000,044 total.
I think ending the award with the $44 is just adding insult to injury. :wink:

This one got lost in the derailment.... :rofl:
Ha! :lol:

Do any of you lawyers on the board know what type of guidelines are in place to how much a person could be rewarded in civil court here in Canada and specifically Ontario? Are there certain limitations? I'm just curious.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'm interesting in knowing if a person in civil court can be found partially guilty ie 40% blame or do they have to be found guilty and then the degree of guilt apportioned after that ?
cheers
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Fred wrote:I'm interesting in knowing if a person in civil court can be found partially guilty ie 40% blame or do they have to be found guilty and then the degree of guilt apportioned after that ?
Yes, both Bert and Orca Bay could be found partially responsible.

So Bert & Moore will be in full agreement that Orca Bay is at least partially responsible! :shock:

I think Moore is asking for ~$20mil?

Prolly he ends up with... wot... merely a few mil ??

Unless of course the defense can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr Moore is a complete & utter weasel! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

LotusBlossom wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Eddy Punch Clock wrote:The guy was 26, making league minimum, or close to it ($425k), and had 12 points in 68 games. Given the lockout, he would have been lucky to sign another contract at any level. I don't know what he received so far, but I can't see how anything more than $1mil can be justified, as that would likely be way more then he would ever earn playing another 3 or 4 years in Europe or other 2nd tier hockey league. Ad in 50 bucks for pain ans suffering, and take away 6 bucks for being an ass leaves it at a cool $1,000,044 total.

Ha! :lol:

Do any of you lawyers on the board know what type of guidelines are in place to how much a person could be rewarded in civil court here in Canada and specifically Ontario? Are there certain limitations? I'm just curious.
I'm no lawyer but I do know a family member of the Moores. But civil suits for negligence have been settled up to 14 million in some cases but most of those are for high quad injuries. Moore has to prove he was going to earn a lot of $$$ to get anything significant.

He was a privileged boy 'ol Stevie, pool, tennis courts in his GTA home all his life. The greater family all loved going to the Moore's house because they had EVERYTHING for all the cousins to play with. "they never wanted for anything" ;)
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Pete, I don't suppose perchance this "family member" would be willing to testify Mr Moore is a complete & utter weasel??

:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:I haven't looked into this, but does anyone know whether Mr. Moore is seeking a claim in negligence or battery? Or both.

These torts have extremely different components.
Battery: Bert has already been convicted of battery in criminal court.

But I'm sure he'll be claiming at some point that Orca Bay is guilty of negligence, right?
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Tciso wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:I am only guessing myself but since Moore's lawsuit includes the Canucks, Brian Burke, Marc Crawford and Bertuzzi, I'm thinking that Moore has to prove there was more than a wild punch that had catastrophic consequences, he has to show that it was premeditated and each of the defendants contributed to an attack that left him in a reduced capacity. I don't think that it matters what exact moment did the damage, the punch or the dog pile immediately after would just be the gun, its who pulled the trigger that is what Moore needs to show so that he can get damages from them.
At the end of the day, if I am the judge I would hold my nose, take into account what a comparable player would make in an average year and factor out an average career (5 yrs) and tag each defendant with the bill.
The guy was 26, making league minimum, or close to it ($425k), and had 12 points in 68 games. Given the lockout, he would have been lucky to sign another contract at any level. I don't know what he received so far, but I can't see how anything more than $1mil can be justified, as that would likely be way more then he would ever earn playing another 3 or 4 years in Europe or other 2nd tier hockey league. Ad in 50 bucks for pain ans suffering, and take away 6 bucks for being an ass leaves it at a cool $1,000,044 total.
Dan Hinote played 3 more years, is older and put up similar numbers and got $1M a year in the CAP era. I am not comparing the two players really, but seeing as they were on the same team, played the same number of games and had the same number of points I found it slightly amusing.

Then of course there is the rest of his life. Hmmm, a Harvard grad, parents are both lawyers, maybe he gets a job at McDonalds in Scarborough? Or maybe law school. Maybe he makes $500-700K a year for 20 more years. This of course depends on just how bad his PCS. And a whole bunch of other things.

I know lots of people want (errrr, NEED) to paint Moore as a guy looking for the easy way out. I can't say I get where that idea comes from. The guy works hard enough to get into Harvard and graduate while playing hockey. He then works his way from the AHL to the NHL. Yup, sounds like a lazy, malcontent to me. I think he has every right to feel bitter about what happened and apparently going after Bertuzzi is how he'll settle that issue. A lawsuit for damages? Unheard of really. Where do these crazy Canadians come up with these wacky schemes?

Has 44 tried hiding any assets recently?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dhabums wrote: I know lots of people want (errrr, NEED) to paint Moore as a guy looking for the easy way out.
:shock:

*looks at mods*

PERSONAL ATTACK, PERSONAL ATTACK!!!

ImageImageImage

Seriously though: Some people NEED to see themselves as the only truly unbiased Canuck fan out there. Image

Steve Moore is a weasel....
dhabums wrote: Has 44 tried hiding any assets recently?
I remember reading... long time ago... that Moore & Co were claiming Bert was putting assets into his wife's name.

Todd Bertuzzi is a weasel.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote: I remember reading... long time ago... that Moore & Co were claiming Bert was putting assets into his wife's name.
Todd Bertuzzi is a weasel.....
I think it was property in ON somewhere. I'm sure it could be googled.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Coco_Canuck, welcome to the site, and let me clarify something.

This site IS different than Canucks Central, always has been. When Central folded and their users descended here they were told that Central's open policy, which in the end was the architect of it's demise, won't be acceptable here. There are some big shots being taken at posters, and I'm not going to tolerate it.

I guess what I am saying is this is CanucksCorner and you came to our house. It's up to all of you if you want to be part of what we've created here. We didn't have these issues before Central closed.

I want everyone to get along. I makes my life a whole lot easier and makes the board better for everyone. If not I have no problem punting the people that don't want to respect my visions for this site. I pay the bills, it's my house....not toomuch to ask I don't think.